Pool Pump Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool Pump Control

Would this be OK to control a 1.5 HP pool pump?

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/custo...2&cat=0&page=1

Thanks,
    Terry

Depends on the amp draw of your pump. Switch is rated at 20 amps. Make sure you are looking at peak startup amps for your pump and not running amps. Personally, I would not use it for that as X10 type and X10 brand switches aren't highest of reliability. I am using sprinkler pump relays (mounted near the pump in weathertight enclosure) with the low voltage side very soon being triggered by Rain8Net serial controlled relay boxes which is then being controlled by Homeseer. This setup will handle much higher amp ratings than the X10 switch you link to.

Comment

For only $23 I'd give it a try. I wouldn't think a pool pump has a high starting load.
      Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Terry,

I have been using a leviton Relay Module, This will be the fifth year. And I have never had any problem of any kind with it.
        The relay module is rated at 15 amps inductive load. Turns the pump on and off twice a day, I also have a 1.5hp pump.

StevenE
        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

I've been using an x10 220V appliance module on my 1.5hp irrigation pump with an iffy starting capacitor for the past five years with no problem. After gutting it for another application, the contacts still looked good. Now I'm trying to wire in a programable delay timer relay, presure switch and Powerflash for motor protection. If there is no presure within 5 minutes, the pump shuts down and I get a verbal warning.

Comment

Have you found a good pressure switch yet?

Comment

I use a standard sprinkler pump pressure switch T'd into the output. This is there in case a valve doesn't open for some reason and the pump does not run against a block. I guess you could also use it in reverse to detect no pressure. Don't know if there is a second set of low pressure contacts. Should check one of these days...

Comment

Working...
              X