Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This setup or something else

Hi, just wondering before I fully commit to any technology/standard

I was almost all set on z wave but then read about their reliability.
    I then read about Insteon, but they don't have color bulbs, everything else that I would use in the house they have.
    I don't want smart door locks.
    My main want/need: Motion Sensors, dimmer switches, a few color bulbs and local voice control, for when I cant find the cellphone.

So that lead me to; would I be able to integrate Philip hue with insteon and be happy or should I look for something else?

Are the Hue motion sensor fully supported by HS a long with the one from Insteon, and their siren/alarm.

Thank you.

I like Z-wave and I really haven't had any issues with it. I have some devices that are 6-7 years old and still working daily. For me it has been rock solid I have no complaints. I did buy some off-brand switch that stopped working a few months.

Insteon is pretty slick but IMO it is very limited. Besides looks, I don't think it has much to offer in terms of versatility.

I've found that there are no good/cheap options for colored lights that are Z-wave. I've found LIFX to be the best thing out there for color bulbs. I have a color bulb built by Aeotec, for the price and performance I couldn't recommend it. Both bulbs are around $60, LIFX are brighter, colors are richer, easier controlled using homeseer. If the Aeotec were half the price $it might be more of a choice but for the price LIFX is way better.

I couldn't tell you about the Hue stuff. I prefer to keep my system as simple as possible with no reliance on phones or apps to control stuff. I haven't found a good way to control light color without using an app so that capability has been relegated to notification functions and showing off.

Using Homseer you should be able to accomplish everything you want using Z-wave products. I would just ditch the Z-wave Color bulbs for LIFX ones.

Comment

I use Z-Wave devices from 2007.

I am happy with Hue and Jowihue. However, I do not use the motion sensors. Hue bridge do not "call out" hence it need to be polled. Up to 2 seconds wait is not good enough for motion sensors.

Regards
      Morten

Comment

Originally posted by Ironzey View Post
        Insteon is pretty slick but IMO it is very limited. Besides looks, I don't think it has much to offer in terms of versatility.
        There are many ways to accomplish "automation" or "home control". On one extreme, all devices use the same communication protocol. On another, a "translation protocol" integrates virtually all technologies and provides means for them to inter-operate. HS is more like the latter than the former, and makes otherwise limited communication systems such as Insteon and UPB viable components of a very capable whole. I also find that "limited" technologies often do what they do more efficiently and reliably than those that try to do everything.

One of the strongest features of HS, though, is that it provides the means to utilize a strategy almost anywhere on the continuum, so whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is probably the best criterion.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

thanks for the info,

Can you turn the lifx with a physical switch? Or only with the phone/app?
          The reason I mentioned the Hue I like that they also have the Hue switch so that you can turn them on without a phone etc.

Wow up to 2 second that would feel like forever is that only with the hue motion sensor? How can that be improved different motion sensor and have homeseer turn the lights on?

Comment

The Hue motion sensor work instant with devices on Hue Bridge, but if you want it to control other protocols, you have the wait problem.

I like the Hue dimmers but not the Tap. I do not use my Taps anymore. Most of my Hue bulbs are controlled by Z-wave devices.

As Uncle Michael writes, the beauty of HomeSeer is that you do not have to choose protocol. You can mix them almost as you like.

Comment

I thing I get it now.
              If I set up the Hue lights with the Hue Motion sensor then integrate that to Homeseer, there should NOT be any delays.

Then if I set up the Hue light and set them up with a Insteon Motion Sensor that would cause 2 or more second delay? Even that this is local and not using the cloud.
              If I set up the Hue motion sensor to also turn on Insteon wall switch then same delay?

But if I set up Insteon motion sensor to control insteon wall switch then is instant.

Ty.

Comment

Working...
              X