Rain8 wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain8 wiring question

The rain8 says it can be wired 1000 ft from PC with rs232. How is this being done? Cat 5 and RS232 converters? Could someone elaborate on that.

That's correct, Cat5 with Serial converters on both ends.

-John

Comment

Ahh Ok Thank You!!

Comment

I realize that this is an old thread that I dug up, but I am wondering how the practice of placing the Rain8Net controllers several hundred feet apart works in real life. I have an application where I could place a Rain8Net unit about 750 feet from my other Rain8Net units and I'm concerned that I will have issues. My plan is to run 750 feet of underground rated cat5 cable between the Rain8Net units. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any practical experience. Thanks in advance.

Comment

That question is best asked to Warren at WGL. Normally the setup is two Rain8Net masters rather than daisychaining two Rain8Net modules. Serial/IP converters are also sometimes used to reduce the RS-232 wiring. If you search this board for Quatech you will find some ebay items at a very attractive price.

Comment

750 feet is a challenge for IP as well...the ethernet spec only allows 100 meters or ~300 feet without a repeater and only 2 repeaters can legally be daisy-chained. Maybe WiFi or RS-485 conversion could be a solution.
            -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
            VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
            Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              That question is best asked to Warren at WGL. Normally the setup is two Rain8Net masters rather than daisychaining two Rain8Net modules. Serial/IP converters are also sometimes used to reduce the RS-232 wiring. If you search this board for Quatech you will find some ebay items at a very attractive price.
              It looks like I may have missed the opportunity with the Quatech product, when I searched Ebay I came up empty handed. I will contact Warren and see what his opinon is on this project but it may be back to the drawing board for me.

Comment

I have 4 QualTech's I would let go for around $40 each plus shipping...if anyone is interested. I bought several a while back and never did anything with them except test them to make sure they worked.
                -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
                VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
                Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Working...
                X