No announcement yet.

Looking for "Green" ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of yes, The override virtuals I use are more manual. For example I have a silent mode that i can activate if the wife wants a nap. all events that could send something through the speakers check to see if that device is on before speaking. if it's on speaking is not processed, if it is all goes through as normal. Another example is a guest mode I use that when on doesn't allow the normal shut down events to run. Guests get the idea real fast when they start seeing lights going off and announcements wishing us a good night.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
      I agree with Telefragger...

What I've done is setup a remote control shutdown software. Then, when we are going to bed, if the machine is still on and there is no occupancy in the room with the PC, the server directs the software to hibernate the PC.

So...this way, we go to bed, if the machine is on, HS sets off a hibernate and no one looses any data and we get to save on the power used.

My philosophy on HA is that it should compliment our lives, not annoy us until we perform a certain behavior. The house should be able to aid us in doing things to help. Otherwise it's just one more thing I have to deal with in the house.

--Dan
      Dan,

I agree with this approach but I did not pursue it because I am frequently using the computer when it might try to hibernate. The motion sensor is not very good at detecting the small amount of motion at my desk.

But I like your approach. How do you get Homeseer to put the computer in hibernate?

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Dan,

I agree with this approach but I did not pursue it because I am frequently using the computer when it might try to hibernate. The motion sensor is not very good at detecting the small amount of motion at my desk.

But I like your approach. How do you get Homeseer to put the computer in hibernate?

Steve Q
        Steve,

That's the hard part with occupancy. I'm going to be evaluating a new sensor pretty soon. For the moment, I have a hawkeye under the desk watching feet. Seems to work VERY well. In fact, I think this was the first automated thing I did...back when I was evaluating all the different software out there. Rupp set me up with this method and I've been using it ever since. It just works.

I use this software:
        HTML Code:
        http://users.telenet.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm
        It's free, gives the source, TONS of options and just works!
        I think it does WOL, power off, shut off, standby hibernate, etc.

The other thing that I'm going to include soon, is my wife and I will (soon after I finish building them) have pressure mats under the mattress on each side of the bed. If her side is occupied, and no one is in the room, AND it's late at night, then hibernate.

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,

Thanks very much for the link to the "Power Off" utility. This looks excellent. I also like the idea of the putting the motion sensor under the desk. I remember some threads a while back about putting one under the bed so it could see your feet when you get up and then start the coffee pot. But it never occurred to me to use it see if someone was using the computer. Excellent!!

Here's another green idea: I think I will use the Power Off utility to hibernate/turn off the computer when we leave the house. I will add this to one of the events I already have to shut off lighting, etc. whenever the security system is armed. Or I may trigger it with the RFID tag in the cars.

The fun never stops!!

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Along the lines of some power strips out there I decided on one of my media machines that when it was not online I would turn the speakers/monitor/satellite box/HDD that are attached to it off just to save a few more watts....I set up an event to ping the box every couple of minutes, if the ping response is offline then turns the appliance module connected to all of the added bits off. To turn it back on the app module is switched on and after 5secs the WOL command is sent.

On a more visual level I have an RGB LED light that I have connected to the serial port, when the power level goes above 2kw HS turns it red so as to tell me if i'm not already aware to find out what is causing the increase in power (usual rate for me is 250-300watts baseline, 600w when at home watching TV/PC, 1-2kw when cooking [rare]...theoretical maximum of 60a/14.4Kw)

I don't want to change my lights yet, only CFL bulbs I have are for either my reef (no choice) or outside (where colour temp does not bother me, and I have them on at night time)...I cannot stand the colour temp given off by CFL bulbs, they make me feel like i'm in an office. At the moment most of my inside lights are 40w candle bulbs, against I have dimmed them i'm probably looking at 20-25w, I don't think the cost vs power is that much different.

Comment

I put the motion sensor under my desk as Dan suggested. This works great. Now I don't need Homeseer to speak a reminder to shut the computer off! Sweet!

I also setup an event to put my computer in standby after 30 minutes on no activity. I don't know why, but Windows will no longer put the computer to sleep even though I have it set up to sleep after 30 minutes of no activity. Poweroff.exe works really great.

Steve Q

Comment

Glad to hear it Steve!

I've been too busy to work on the KAW project...sorry...

I've been working on my HTPC. I think It's about done!

Yeah...like that will happen!!

--Dan
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I have about 35 devices that are connected to Homeseer via Plugwise (www.plugwise.com/en)
                  All this devices will individual give there usage to homeseer
                  Depending on usage an the status of the house i can control them.
                  And also make visible i charts what the usage every hour/day/week/month is.
                  I have build lot of events for controlling them. All the events are set in the Powersave group.
                  To give you an idea of some events.

-Charge the dect phones only form 01:00-02:00
                  -Charge the remotes from 01:00-02:30
                  -Charge the electric tools only from 03:00-04:00
                  -Charge the shaver and toothbrush only from 01:00 -02:00
                  -Start the Time capsule only when Imac online (stop when offline)
                  -Shutdown the Hifi when the TV usage is more than 20 Watt
                  etc..
                  Shutdown all the devices what are not in use when the house is armed

All this devices are normally on for 24 hours and use some power
                  This way I'm saving lot of energy
                  Since i can see the usage individual and the total power consumption via RFXcom I'm chechking the lable of every device before i buy. My house is bekoming more and more green..

Enver
                  from Holland

Comment

I wonder about using remote plugs to turn off chargers. My remote plugs use 0.4W each so it depends if the charger thats already there is going to use less or more than that. It's possible when the charger is done charging it drops its consumption to less than 0.4w and therefore youd actually be increasing consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by ljames28 View Post
                      I wonder about using remote plugs to turn off chargers. My remote plugs use 0.4W each so it depends if the charger thats already there is going to use less or more than that. It's possible when the charger is done charging it drops its consumption to less than 0.4w and therefore youd actually be increasing consumption.

i use a x10 appliance module to recharge my craftsman push mower.... after 18hrs power off... then I dont use it again till I need to.. but I started doing that more with items that need to be recharged....

errr.. well I have to reset all that up... but im getting there
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I Have two charging stations with lot of plugs connected.
                        I can confirm that most of heavy device use lot more than the controlling device.

Like Pronto pro use about 10 watt with the extender.

I agree only the charger of most modern phones makes no sense to turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chak View Post
                          I Have two charging stations with lot of plugs connected.
                          I can confirm that most of heavy device use lot more than the controlling device.

Like Pronto pro use about 10 watt with the extender.

I agree only the charger of most modern phones makes no sense to turn off.
                          Wow, 10 watts is a lot for a charger, that's definitely worth it then.

Comment

I hope in few years this kind of devices will be no longer allowed on the market.

Since I'm monitoring more then 30 device online I know they can make device better and green.

Example.
                            My Sony LCD TV will only use 0.1 watt when in standby
                            My old DVB-C receiver consumes 6.5 watt in standby..when online 7.5 watt.
                            Asus eee box with SSD 12 watt
                            Imac 20" 65 watt

Tilt motor of my Auping bed is using 12 watt when idle...this is crazy...i'm turining this also of when house is armed..Next step is work with sensore...when no one in bed turn off..this is 105 Khw per year..

Comment

WOL for wireless?

Is there any such thing as Wake On Lan for wireless connections?

If so.. i assume not all Wireless adapters support it..

(My current wireless desktop has a usb 802.11G adapter. When the PC goes to standby.. the led's on the wireless adapter go dark.. so i assume it is could not receive a "magic packet".)

Does anyone know if there are any WOL for wireless solutions out there?

Thanks
                              Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Andrew,

I assume you are referring to a secondary computer, obviously you don't want your Homeseer computer to go to sleep. I use a program called PowerOff to allow Homeseer to put my secondary computer to sleep after 30 minutes of no motion at my desk. I think you can use this program to wake up the computer also, but I have not tried it. I just press the space bar.

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                                X