No announcement yet.

Zoneminder Ubuntu Server Installation with ZMXAP to use with HS MCSXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice. Doing the GUI version will make things more difficult.

Take your time one step at a time. I'll help. When you load it and it prompts you for the features just load OpenSSH....nothing else.

(just running some today doing some last minute Christmas shopping).

BTW I received the new Shuttle today. I also ordered more KVM cables for the Raritan. Its a Christmas present but will do an install of Ubuntu/ZM with pictures using the KVM.
    Last edited by Pete; December 23, 2010, 07:04 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

1. Server 10.10 (32 or 64) does not run on the SX35 (Nic Driver)
      2. Workstation version (32) runs fine.
      3. The four commands I posted automagically installed and configured Zoneminder to where I can connect from another machine.

This all occured in about 15 minutes, not having to do anything else. So I do not get it. Will installing server version and following complicated instructions work better?

I found a post with my same scenario (SX35 owner) - tried to manually load a driver but to no avail. The same post states that version 10.04 Server loads the Nic.

SO - Now I am downloading the 10.04 version to try it rather than use desktop GUI version - will see what happens, but if it DOES work and I can make it work with the 4 commands, what is the advantage of extra? I am guessing I am missing something.
      Thanks for your help.
      The only option in the server install is the OpenSSH. The rest are just more options.

The workstation install is more plug n play and it adds extra features without asking.

The trick to getting the Shuttle working with the NIC is to do the installation with a USB generic NIC device. I tried the Trendnet and the little bitty MAC one.
      Once up and running and installed; do a scan of the PCI bus and you will see the RealTek Shuttle NIC interface. Configure it as eth1. Remove eth0 and you will be running off of the Shuttle NIC.

I did a quick read and it looks like 10.10 does work. (but 10.4 didn't?).

Here's how to get the LAN working ....

http://breden.org.uk/2010/09/30/shut...2-live/#fixlan
      Last edited by Pete; June 28, 2011, 12:03 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Currently, I am thrilled to have ZM working in the GUI mode. I don't dare restart it right now, as I think that would break it - I used some parts of your (Post 1) install doc as well as other things I found on the net to get this far. I have no idea if I needed the memory tweaks or not, because I'm not sure if I had good camera commands at that point. The link to the NIC fix looks like it could work. After I get more accustomed to ZM settings / usage, I might attempt the actual server install. More confident now, as I know that at the very least, I can make ZM work with the 32bit WS version. That said, I noticed your server build begins with the 32bit version. Is this for compatibility?

Comment

Just looking over the original ZM forum thread. There was no mention in the thread relating to the use of the 32Bit or 64bit versions. The thread did start with the Maverick Meerkat Kubuntu 10.10 installation; then later in the thread it went to the one I posted. At the time didn't consider even using a 64bit setup.

I found out doing the install a few times that the GUI didn't offer me much relating to ZM. Historically many years ago my first ZM install was GUI-less; then it went to various flavors of whatever Linux flavor with GUIs; which did work; but never really utilized because I always left the ZM server on the rack in the basement. The base ZM webgui is really only related to ZM. The SSH remote gives you one option to update or make changes and the Webmin GUI another. In essence you are utilizing 95% of the computer to run ZM and about 5% to manage it this way. Another thing you might want to install is a tool to manage mysql. Over the years I've seen corruption of the DB. Its easy to clean up via command line but a management tool gives you the opportunity for a nice 10000 foot view of mysql.

BTW updating HW for my ZM to a new 4GB machine but still using same box/PS. Still using a 775 socket MB. Ordered a newer socket 775 MB/Memory. Now that there's been so many improvements in both analogue and IP cams I want to start switching everthing over to higher res stuff. I mean the 640X480 is nice but a higher resolution would be better. (that's kind of the direction that I am seeing now on the ZM forum).

Here is the reference links I used for the above.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16628

You definitely want to do the memory tweaks as most of the problems I've seen over the years with ZM relate to allocated memory. Even if you are using IP cams. ZM is recording 24/7 on all the cams. When an event occurs the video is saved. They are not large videos and typically only a few seconds long. This is really what makes ZM a great DVR program. Its even better when you can control what its doing via HS or even just having it send over events to HS to trigger HS events is great.
          Last edited by Pete; December 24, 2010, 02:58 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete - related to Webmin - you say:
            With WinSCP edit "/etc/apt/sources.list" and put the following at the bottom of the list you see. If you don't want to use WinSCP use Nano at the command prompt.

Code:

deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
            deb http://webmin.mirror.somersettechsol....uk/repository sarge contrib
            That address does not resolve (.uk) - but I was able to install webmin with "apt-get install webmin" whats the purpose of that (.uk entry)?
            Last edited by Monk; December 27, 2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Now lets create the following user:

adduser www-data video
              Pete - is this actually creating a user or just adding it to a group? Do you know the purpose?

Comment

Its creating a user in the video group.

Add the video group to the www-data user
                Then, you need to include the www-data user (under which apache runs) in the video group, so it can access the video devices:

sudo adduser www-data video
                http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index..._ffmpeg,_etc.)

I'm tweaking the verbiage for the final tweaks and adds to Zoneminder. Just read on the ZM forum about someone with 32 IP cams running on ZM. A first.

For the ZM install snapshots on the Shuttle; waiting on the CD/DVD RW drive for it. Better deal at Geeks dot com. (also ordered a wireless keyboard & mouse combo plus a new socket 775 MB for the ZM box).
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

ZM XAP "patches" for ZM 1.2.4

The following documents a ZM "patch" to get ZM 1.2.4 working with ZM XAP. I typically utilize Putty (SSH), WinSCP and XAP Message Viewer. Still a bit in the rabbit hole; and it gets a bit difficult once I am there to get out. For some odd reason I keep hearing the Jefferson Airplane "White Rabbit" song echoing here (its an age thing you know). Found it in my music collection (quick way) at "Music\Time Life Flower Power Full Collection\SET 4 - AGE OF AQUARIUS\DISC 1"

You can also utilize Nano for command line editing if you don't want to utilize WinSCP. You can get the programs here:
                  1 - Putty - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

2 - WinSCP - http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

3 - XAP Message Viewer - http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=xFx_Viewer

4 - Nano - check to see if you already have it first. - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nano

Install ZM XAP per instructions posted here: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Zmxap

I did and it didn't work with currently above documented version of ZM / OS. I wrote to Greg about why it didn't work. He was very helpful in helping to "fix" ZM so that his application worked for me and my setup of Zoneminder.

Check first while ZM is running with the ZM XAP "plugin" if you are seeing XAP messages from your ZM box. I use the following viewer. I've also attached a picture as to what you will see with the viewer. http://www.xapautomation.org/index.php?title=xFx_Viewer

If you do not see your ZM box then:

1 - Edit the ZM XAP configuration file such that you turn on debug (use Nano or WinSCP). I turned mine to 5 on the debug statement. The configuration file should be here if you followed the Wiki to install ZM XAP:
                  Code:
                  /usr/local/zmxap
                  Code:
                  [general]

log_file = /tmp/zmxap.log

##
                  ## log_level 0 is least verbose; 5 is most
                  #
                  log_level = 0

Check to see why its not working by doing the following at a ZM SSH session command line prompt:
                  Code:
                  tail -f /tmp/zmxap.log
                  This is what I am seeing with no errors right now at debug level=0. NOTE: If you don't see XAP traffic with the XAP viewer then you will see a repeated error in the log while looking at it telling you that ZM is not running (when it really actually is running).

Code:
                  root@ICS-ZM:~# tail -f /tmp/zmxap.log
                  ####### state=0 and cause=Motion
                  ###### starting fetch of event_data
                  ###### completed fetch of event_data
                  ######### don't bother
                  ######### don't bother
                  ######## in sendAlarmEvent
                  ####### state=0 and cause=Motion
                  ###### starting fetch of event_data
                  ###### completed fetch of event_data
                  The reason for the error in the log telling you that ZM is not running is that in the ZMXAP Perl script there is an "if then statement" to check if ZM is running by looking for the ZM.PID. Here is what is in the section of the Perl script that checks to see if ZM is running:

Code:
                  # main "work" loop
                  while( 1 )
                  {
                  	if ((gettimeofday - $zm_running_last_check > 5) || defined($reload))
                  	{
                  		if ( -s ZM_PID ) {
                  			$zm_is_running = 1;
                  		}
                  		else 
                  		{
                  			$zm_is_running = 0;
                  			&xAP::Util::warn("zm is not running");
                  			sleep 5;
                  		}	
                  		$zm_running_last_check = gettimeofday;
                  	}

if ($zm_is_running)
                  	{
                  		if (!(defined($pid) && ($pid eq ZM_PID))) {
                  			$reload = 1;
                  			$pid = ZM_PID;
                  		}
                  		# listen for xAP data; maintain loop as lots of xAP traffic may exist
                          	my $elapsed_listen = 0;
                  		my $starttime = gettimeofday();
                          	while (($elapsed_listen <= $xap_loop_duration) && !(defined($reload))) {
                          		&xAP::Comm::check_for_data($xap_timeout);
                          		$elapsed_listen = gettimeofday() - $starttime;
                          	}
                  Lets first test the "fix".
                  1 - check if the ZM PID exists while running ZM. Look at the image attached to see if the ZM PID is in the /var/run/zm directory.
                  2 - If it isn't there then go to the
                  /var/run
                  directory and create a zm directory.
                  mkdir zm
                  3 - Then STOP ZM by
                  zm stop
                  4 -
                  Code:
                  root@ICS-ZM:/etc/init.d# ./zm stop
                  Stopping ZoneMinder: success

root@ICS-ZM:/etc/init.d#
                  5 - Type the following at a command prompt>
                  Code:
                  chown www-data /var/run/zm
                  chmod 774 /var/run/zm
                  6 - Start up ZM by typing:
                  Code:
                  root@ICS-ZM:/etc/init.d# ./zm start
                  7 - Start up ZM XAP by typing:
                  Code:
                  /usr/local/zmxap/zmxap.pl -path=/usr/local/zmxap
                  8 - Now at another SSH session type:
                  Code:
                  tail -f /tmp/zmxap.log
                  9 - You should see ZM XAP running now. But to check some more load up the viewer.
                  10 - Now lets make the "fix" so that it automatically loads with ZM. Greg provided his ZM startup script with the edits for the ZM patch such that ZM XAP would load. I've attached it with a *.TXT extension. Rename it to *.dat and look at the file with WinSCP to do your clip and past over to what you see in Webmin.

You can do a clip and past via WinSCP, Nano or even Webmin. The easiest way to patch the ZM startup script is just to go the Webmin Boot up and shutdown tab and click on the ZM script, edit it by doing a clip and paste. Note that this is the originally posted ZM startup script modified by the Ubuntu installation script then modified again to include the "patch" for the ZMXAP piece such that it runs every time you boot up ZM. Also note that you should create a new startup script for ZMXAP to also automatically start with ZM. Its easiest to do this with Webmin on the same tab as previously mentioned putting this in the script:

Code:
                  /usr/local/zmxap/zmxap.pl -path=/usr/local/zmxap &
                  Save it; then open it up again. You will see that Webmin "filled in the blanks". Set it to autostart. Once ZM is running again check the log and XAP viewer. If all is well then modify your XAP configuration such that debug is back to zero.

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you and I can detail some more checks and balances relating to the "patch".
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; January 14, 2011, 05:24 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

ZM Foscam and Panasonic IP CAM setup

Here is a very rough draft of a drawing depicting the setup of the Foscam IP camera in ZM. I've also attached a PDF for a bit more detail.

Please refer to PDF.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; January 6, 2011, 09:35 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I will break down the configuration into smaller pieces. Just noticed that even on my "wide screen" laptop I am not seeing the drawing well. It'll be like:

1 - Options and Users configuration - you have to be careful here because you can lock yourself away from your own ZM box.
                      2 - Analogue camera configuration
                      3 - IP camera configuration
                      4 - Setting up events / zones
                      5 - Running "cron" jobs - you can do some neat stuff like shut off events, camera, etc or just basic "clean" up of the MySQL DB.
                      6 - creating HS events based on ZM events (like motion variables etc).
                      7 - having HS "tell" your ZM box what to do and when to do it.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Sounds nice Pete. As info, my SX35 has been cooking well with no intervention. Getting some WAF from this as she can run the cams in "Montage" mode to see what's going on outside.

Will be waiting patiently for items 5, 6 and 7. I could really use the ability to shut off one of the cameras depending on time of day.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        I will break down the configuration into smaller pieces. Just noticed that even on my "wide screen" laptop I am not seeing the drawing well. It'll be like:

1 - Options and Users configuration - you have to be careful here because you can lock yourself away from your own ZM box.
                        2 - Analogue camera configuration
                        3 - IP camera configuration
                        4 - Setting up events / zones
                        5 - Running "cron" jobs - you can do some neat stuff like shut off events, camera, etc or just basic "clean" up of the MySQL DB.
                        6 - creating HS events based on ZM events (like motion variables etc).
                        7 - having HS "tell" your ZM box what to do and when to do it.

Comment

The "filter" pieces on the ZM gui are more for cleaning up. The cron jobs are kind of manual but they'll appear in the drop down list (enable, off, etc...so it would be drop down like schedule #1, #2 or #3.) For the HS stuff its basically deciphering the messages you see in the message viewer (actually just watching them) and having MCS Hub viewer / Xap application assign the various XAP messages to events and variables. So basically for a camera I have it set kind of with multiple if then statements with either multiple zones or multiple cams each with zone events.

Been still playing with the Dockstar Debian Mono / HSTouch thing; documenting setup on a 4Gb memory dongle. Its like a whole little computer. Set up Mimo monitor, touch screen HSTouch, development Mono...connecting a 9097 to it via USB to make it a kind of weather HUB which can broadcast XAP messages. You can also connect a Temp08 to it and to XAP messages from it that way. (also make it a slim device and connect a "toy" LCD display so that you can play some text on it via the Dockstar)...little miniature marvel...
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Found an interesting problem. Yesterday noticed that three out of 10 cameras quit working in ZM after defining event zones and configuring ZMXAP. Looking at the ZM forum noticed that many folks had the same issues. No one answer to my issues seemed to resolve problems. So I tried lowering frame rate and different settings on ZM. I still got the following error for the cams that didn't work.

Jan 6 06:52:18 ICS-ZM zmdc[1278]: INF ['zmc -d /dev/video6' crashed, signal 6]
                            Jan 6 06:53:43 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo1[1302]: INF [Front-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 4.98 fps]
                            Jan 6 06:53:43 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo2[1305]: INF [Rear-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 4.98 fps]
                            Jan 6 06:53:43 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo3[1307]: INF [Deck-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 4.98 fps]
                            Jan 6 06:53:44 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo5[1312]: INF [House-S: 2000 - Capturing at 4.98 fps]
                            Jan 6 06:53:44 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo7[1317]: INF [House-Front: 2000 - Capturing at 4.98 fps]
                            I found out I created the problem by creating event zones larger than pixel size of capture. This in term caused the specific video device to crash. I deleted the event zones and all of the video came back. This is new to me as I never experienced this issue.

Here is the log now with the "problem" fixed.

Jan 6 07:12:51 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo0[1011]: INF [Driveway: 2000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:51 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo1[1014]: INF [Front-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:51 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo2[1017]: INF [Rear-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:51 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo3[1020]: INF [Deck-Door: 2000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:52 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo4[1023]: INF [Driveway-MB: 2000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:52 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo5[1026]: INF [House-S: 2000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:52 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo6[1029]: INF [House-N: 2000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
                            Jan 6 07:12:55 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo7[1032]: INF [House-Front: 2000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
                            Now if I can figure out why ZM crashes the Foscam; I'd be in good shape.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I gave the solution to that in this post -
                              http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=43
                              Last edited by Monk; January 6, 2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Monk. I missed that and went off into ZM forum land where I saw no solution for the problem. I was starting to think about another rebuild on the new box.

How are you polling the Foscam IP cameras? Are you using the CGI stream or snapshot?

ZM continues fine but Foscam goes into reboot mode until I unplug the camera and plug it back in.

Attached is the Foscam CGI references that I utilize.
                                Attached Files
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X