This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer lighting is Here!

I've been trying to post this most of today but it's BUSY here!! We just announced our new wall switches with a press release yesterday and a newsletter today. Product is in-house now and we're working on final preparations to ship (officially) on 3/31. Looks like the first orders will actually ship tomorrow.

Store Product Pages

Here's the scoop: The new wall dimmer and wall switch include a 500 series Z-Wave module and are Z-Wave Plus certified. We also support the new "central scene" class which gives the switches some nice new features... notably instant status updates and double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold event triggers. Here's a quick and dirty video of the double-tap feature of a HS-WD100+ dimmer in operation:

https://youtu.be/8RSFRINNFOg

Lighting Press Release

Lighting Page
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

What type of dimmer circuit does it have, forward phase, balanced/symmetric forward phase, or reverse/inverse phase?

Do the new switches contain surge/transient protection components?

Comment

So I'm assuming it's press to dim just like the GE switches?
      Is there a way to disable the LED indicators on the side? Can you use them as night light like with the GE switches?

Basically I just want GE switches of higher quality with instant status.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        So I'm assuming it's press to dim just like the GE switches?
        Is there a way to disable the LED indicators on the side? Can you use them as night light like with the GE switches?

Basically I just want GE switches of higher quality with instant status.
        The LEDs indicators on the dimmer are not programmable. They are simply on when the load is on or are on relative to the dim level. Otherwise, they're off.

Comment

Any plans to offer in color "Light Almond"?

Comment

Originally posted by kesterf View Post
            Any plans to offer in color "Light Almond"?
            Not initially. Perhaps later in the year.

Comment

I was pretty excited to see the email today on the new switches, and the price point is attractive. I have a few questions before I place an order.
              1. Can the dimmers be set to turn on (single tap) to a preset level or last level, or would you have to use events to do this?
              2. Do the switches support beaming?
              3. Is the firmware upgradeable over the air?

At any rate, these look great. The only question is how many I'll be ordering to start with.
              HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
              Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
              Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
              Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                I was pretty excited to see the email today on the new switches, and the price point is attractive. I have a few questions before I place an order.
                1. Can the dimmers be set to turn on (single tap) to a preset level or last level, or would you have to use events to do this?
                2. Do the switches support beaming?
                3. Is the firmware upgradeable over the air?

At any rate, these look great. The only question is how many I'll be ordering to start with.
                I believe the switch turns on to the last dim level. I'll need to verify that with a switch in my office. You can trigger an event to change the dim level with a double or triple tap. EVERYTHING that's come out in the past 5 years or so supports beaming! So yes, these definitely do. Yes, they also support over the air "OTA" firmware updates.

Comment

Wonderful news, Mark! Thanks for the quick response. Now wondering how many I can order without catching too much flak at home...
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                    What type of dimmer circuit does it have, forward phase, balanced/symmetric forward phase, or reverse/inverse phase?

Do the new switches contain surge/transient protection components?
                    Can I get answers here?

Comment

Not sure if this was answered, but can the double tap be used to turn on another device without turning on the load? I have under cabinet lighting I would like to add manual control without turn on or off the main load, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                        Can I get answers here?
                        had to message the engineers. When I get a reply, I'll let you know. Why are you asking these specific questions? Are you looking to buy a certain type of dimmer?

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          had to message the engineers. When I get a reply, I'll let you know. Why are you asking these specific questions? Are you looking to buy a certain type of dimmer?
                          It is important to know the approach to dimming of the AC sine wave to properly match the dimmer to the lights. For example, if the dimmer is forward phase, but not symetric, there will be a DC voltage left on the load side of the line. In a magnetic low voltage light transformer, that will cause heating, premature failure, and perhaps a fire risk. Some LED lights have a power supply that will not tolerate ANY kind of forward phase dimmer, and need an inverse type. Inverse phase dimmers are called ELV dimmers by some manufacturers. On the other hand, one should never use an ELV dimmer on a magnetic low voltage (MLV) light. Incandescent lights can use any dimmer type. These are just a few examples. Personally, I have some early generation Cree LED can light modules that will only work with ELV dimmers unless there are multiple on the circuit. This has nothing to do with the neutrals, but just stability of the dimmer circuit.

With regard to the transient protection, I ask because these switches get expensive when you fill a house with them, and it won't be acceptable if one dies every few lightning storms. I experienced this in the past with cheaper X10 switches, which I assume had no protection built in. The Leviton Zwave switches we have now specifically list that they have the protection.

Please also consider developing a ceiling fan speed control dimmer.

Comment

you know my question...

are you planning on getting any in a toggle style? id be in if so...

HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                              Not sure if this was answered, but can the double tap be used to turn on another device without turning on the load? I have under cabinet lighting I would like to add manual control without turn on or off the main load, if possible.
                              Yes, a double-tap merely changes the status of the "central scene" device; it does not control the attached load. In your case, you just create an event that triggers on the double-tap turn on the cabinet lighting.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X