"Always listen" function - getting lots of false commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Always listen" function - getting lots of false commands

I've been testing the "always listen" function and including the attention command in the voice command ie:

"computer get me a beer"

for the purpose of making communication more natural as opposed to:

"computer" ...wait... "yes?" ...wait... "-insert command here"

I've been getting a ton of false recognitions from what I'm assuming is the VR engine in "always listen" mode. Most/all of them are from the built in syntax for turning on lights. It thinks I said something then it asks me to confirm. Before I forced confirmation, I had random lights going on and off around the house even when just typing on the keyboard (not sure why that seems to trigger it so much - i do have a very sensitive mic) None of the false recognitions are from custom event commands:

11/28/2004 1:49:12 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute the Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 1:49:27 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 1:54:44 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute the Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 1:56:52 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:23:16 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute turn on the Room Floor Light on?
    11/28/2004 4:23:41 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:24:17 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute on the Guest Bathroom on?
    11/28/2004 4:25:15 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:25:29 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute the Guest Bathroom on?
    11/28/2004 4:25:59 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:26:45 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute on Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 4:28:59 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:29:42 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute off the Pool Room Floor Light off?
    11/28/2004 4:30:35 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:30:58 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute dim bright the Room Table Light by eight?
    11/28/2004 4:32:15 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 4:35:40 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute dim bright the UnKnown Guest Bathroom ten?
    11/28/2004 4:42:40 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 5:43:37 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute the Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 6:55:23 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 7:43:39 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute turn Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 7:44:31 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 7:44:34 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute Room Floor Light?
    11/28/2004 7:45:02 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 7:45:07 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute UnKnown Guest Bathroom seven?
    11/28/2004 7:59:18 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 8:01:04 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute on UnKnown Guest Bathroom?
    11/28/2004 8:01:47 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 8:01:59 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute on the Landscape Lights?
    11/28/2004 8:02:37 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled
    11/28/2004 8:03:18 PM~!~Speak~!~Execute on Guest Bathroom on?
    11/28/2004 8:03:55 PM~!~Speak~!~cancelled

Is there anything I can do to eliminate or reduce these false recognitions or is that just the way it is? I really liked being able to speak more naturally to the computer without using the attention-wait-acknowledgement-wait-command method.

thanks,
    dan

I've been looking into this for a while, short story is that i don't think find Speech recognition reliable unless you have "some method" to make it more specific. Some methods may include (or in combination): Command verification (you have to confirm all cmds), start listening phrase (you already stated you didn't want), push to talk button (turns mic or HS Listening on/off), etc ...

I only use VR for demo's and impressing friends anymore because didn't find it too reliable. I one mic next to my couch which is 3 ft away from me when i sit there. I also have a touchscreen (using MainLobby) and it has a toggle button which executes a script on my HS machine to turn VR on/off.

Even with that i found i still wanted to have a Start phrase "Hello FryGuy". This is because it is pretty embarassing giving a demo to "Fetch my beer" and the TV turns on.

Over all opinion, you will find the always listening method (without phrase) to be a hassle because it will be incorrectly executing random events.
    Good luck

Let me
    two quick

Comment

Either of you guys change you Pronunciation Sensitivity. This will dramatically help with false recognitions.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

My experience with the VR is that it will ALWAYS return an answer, and never an error saying it can't find the command. This means it will always try and find some command however irrelevant, even if you coughed into the mic. I am not sure if this is a setting, but it is a pain in the butt for me...

Comment

Scott,
          Did you try to adjust the Sensitivity and it still does this? Maybe the Sensitivity can't be set high enough to prevent false triggers?

Comment

I have tried my adjustments all over, and I get the same 'type' results. The system will always try and return a result. I have never once recevied what is listed as the vrerror.wav beep. So I have to be *very* careful what I say to HSP.

Comment

Try putting a "+" in front of the first word like:

"+homeseer get me a beer"

This will cause the VR to raise accuracy on that specific word. I would think that adjusting the recognition sliders would do the same thing. I have my computer idle in the "listening for attention" mode and I never get a false recognition, unless someone in the room says "computer". But thats because of my poor choice of an attention word. HS automatically adds the "+" for the attention word. I also use the Acoustic Magic mic which might be helping.

Comment

Any ideas why I never get a reject or error beep?

I would much rather get an error beep, than the system taking a 'best guess' at what was said.

Lowers the WAF by a huge factor.

Comment

The "best guess" is the VR engine and the sensitivity setting. Right now, I am ignoring a false recognition. I would need to research my notes as to why that is disabled. It should do nothing if the phrase was not recognized.

Comment

I have mine set to listen for the attention phrase "Mr. Roboto". It's pretty unique and I get few (if any) false attentions. When he hears his name he goes into listen for commands mode and I can give him one or more voice commands. When our "conversation is done I say "that's all" and he says "adios" and goes back to listening for attention (his name). This works quite well.

Jeff B.

Comment

This is hilarious. My attention phrase is "COMPUTER". I was talking to skibum w/VOIP and said "BEER CAN FIRE". Low and behold. It was recognized at the attention phrase.

To be honest.....I like that better than computer anyways!1!!!!!

Comment

I am listening to Bill's efforts, and I can't believe how BAD the VR is for him! So many false recognitions. I wonder how there can be such differences?

Comment

And I HAVE played with all the slider settings.

Comment

The only difference that I can see is that I am using recognizer 6.1, and he is using 5.1.

Comment

I really wonder about the reasons for those differences, Skibum.

I had a setup where VR worked almost flawlessly in my kitchen, even over normal kitchen noise, even with the TV on! I use the Acoustic Magic mic trained while sitting in the center of kitchen.

Then I had an unrelated PC problem for which I had to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch. Reloaded all software, retrained the VR in the same location and physical setup as before. Absolutely nothing changed hardware-wise. Now VR is next to useless in the kitchen. I have tried every combo of settings, retrained numerous times - no luck.

I gotta believe the software just clicked perfectly that first time. I wish I could get that old hard drive image back because it was a beautiful thing.

Mark
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X