X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updater Broken ....

Hi Mark;
    It appears the updater is broken once again it states that the insteon update failed.. and HS3 now deletes the updates3 folder so I can not manually update the insteon plugin.. I don't thing it's your plugin only because your plug worked fine until I loaded the HSZIGBEE plugin after that your software appears not to be able to talk to the insteon hub... With the last several HS3 issues it's looks to me like Homeseer is trying to go out of business !! HS3 has been such junk over the past 3+ years ,, I'm starting to go over to OH it's free and just seems to be better supported.. I do want to thank you for your great plugin and fantastic work over the years ,, Homeseer needs a lesion from you and several of the fine 3rd party programmers that stand behind there software unlike Homeseer , that don't even show a presence on there own message board except to try to suck new users in with software that isn't even out yet (Like the new mobile ,, right , like that will ever work the base program doesn't work how do they expect mobile to work !!! Sorry for the rant but it's been over 3 years and they still have not fixed the power failure corrupting the database issue,, as well as many other issues... The lastest is they are saying the issue has been fixed or looking the bug reports so nobody is aware of the issue.. I've been using Homeseer since HS 1.xx (Never got completely fixed.) 2.xx dido and now 3 which they just don't seem to care about, I'm betting there working on HS 4.xx that's how they operate.. I't a bummer they don't understand they been knocked of the top 10 HA software lists and there message board appears to have less and less people visiting it...Once again thanks for all the fine work, I know it has not been easy insteon appears to come out with a lot of stuff that appears not to be thought out very well or just don't work as they stated..

Hi Mark;
    The issue with the updated appears to be they tried to fix an issue with the mickey moused linux version that was leaving to many files in the updated by deleting the updater so it clears out the files in the updates3 folder,, They have once again convinced themselves that the fix works fine and on windows it only deletes the files upon startup or closing (Didn't ask them which !!!) , yet it seems to be deleting the files in the folder during the update which is what appears to be making your plugin fail the update {I've also have had it happen with other updates..} in my case it appears to have rewrite the insteon.ini with a 0k file when the update fails ,, in the case of your plugin it appears you being a smarter / better programer then the homeseer group put your device information in an ini instead of the power fail corruption database of the homeseer program it was easy to recover and unlike repairing the Homeseer database which most times takes much time , many restarts and renaming the default database,, your insteon only took a few seconds and one restart to correct the issue.. The group at homeseer don't do it what appears to be the way several 3rd party programmers are doing like yourself and putting the devices in an INI file instead of the database is beon me ,, a lot easier to correct then the corrupted database issue.. You may want to let people know to backup the insteon.ini file before using the updater.. I lucked out because I use Jon00's config backup plugin once a week so I had a backup from last week..

Comment

David,

thanks for posting your findings about the recent Updater issues. I always encourage users to make frequent backups because you just never know what might go wrong during an upgrade.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark:

According to homeseer there is not an updater issue yet if you look thru this forum there several plugins failing updating.. Yet according to HS it's my setup,, Right !! I watched it delete the files in the updater folder before the update was completed ,, others are complaining about the same issue with other plugins yet it's my issue and nobody else is having issues.. That's exactly why I'm moving on for 3 years all I heard is nobody else is having an issue yet I look thru this forum and many people have had the same issues. I love they 1st tell me that DB corruption hardly ever happens , then the same person tells me they have a system that has been running for years after I clearly told them that it happens during a power failure.. I also have looked thru the bug reporting system and see reports of exactly what I'm seeing and keep in mind they locked two of my reports so nobody else can see them ,, I ask myself how many others have been locked so it looks like it's not an issue.. they want me to put in tickets for the issues , why I put a ticket in years ago and still have not heard anything back.. Looking thru the board the ticket system is just another black hole.. Maybe if they put as much effort as they do telling me and others there's no issues ,, they would get something fixed... I love the ticket system one can't even do the ticket themselves you have to send the issues as an email to HS ,, ya as if it's going to get translated correctly ,, bummer for them I've done field service and service for over 50 years ,, so I know that things never get transcribed correctly.. Good service people listen than fix ,, with all there excuses and a dollar one still can not buy a pack of gum.. There poor service is going to put them out of business,, what a bummer.. Service is what separates a good company from a bad company , I know I've worked for some of the best and for many of the worst companies..

I think it's so funny that I fell on the floor laughing ,, they want me to send them a system report so they can reproduce the issue,, well if it's my system as they say they need to have the same hardware that I have.. Right like there going to be able to repeat my system setup ,, Like to see them try !! there going to have a had time finding the exact components my PC uses,, them there's plugins and interface hardware.. Maybe if they took responsibility for the issues instead of slinging BS they wouldn't have fell off the best 10 HA program lists.. I love how they say it must be the plugin , yet RFXCOM , Weatherxml , your insteon and more failing so it's a plugin issue ,, if it happens with one ok maybe it's a plugin issue ,, when it happens to 3+ plugins or more it's more likely an updater issue..

I don't embrace excuses I embrace solutions !!! Puting rosy colored glasses don't fix the issues it just makes one blind to them..

The question I have is has anybody else told you the update failed ?? Thank You..

Sorry for the rant ,, just can no longer handle that HS3 is perfect , what they don't know is I started with another computer 1st. and when they told me years ago that it was my system ,, I built the new system (with a brand new load of Windows 10.) I'm using presently and still have the same issue with the db so it's not the computer hardware.. The system I'm presently running HS3 on is completely new nothing and I mean nothing (Not even the power cord , network cables and even the monitor..).. Even an AMD processor instead of the Intel processor of the 1st. system.. Instead of excuses they should take ownership of the issues....

Comment

Hi Mark; I maybe having an issue with the insteon plugin I'm trying to get a handle on it ,, so I can give you some insight to what appears to be happening.. I have the bigger older non-cloud based network hub it has been working great with your plugin for years.. It now appears to stop communicating , the only thing I think I noticed and can be completely wrong, is on the setup page where you put the ip and port numbers in the two boxes to the right seems to me they had a weird username and password before,, now they appear to have one of my email addresses and a real password of mine (which appear to validate fine),, saying that I thought at one time I thought I got the weird username and password from the bottom of the hub yet I looked at it last night and there don't appear to be one,, so I must be having one of those acid flashbacks.. Is there anything I can turn on to help me help you troubleshoot "MY" {Very little funny based off Homeseer always telling me only I'm having the issue , yet most times when googled there 1000ths of hits stating the same issue I'm looking up,, It's a bummer that those people are reporting problems the only I have ...}.. TIA for any insight you maybe able to give me..

Just a note : The reason I am / was having trouble manually updating the plugin is as you know you can not copy the exe and dll files with HS3 open yet the new autostart feature is clearing the update folder as it autostarts a few minutes after a clean wanted shutdown.. I wish I could find where to shut off the new autostart feature !!! I'm wondering if I should let the boys at HS3 know I found one of there issues,, oh wait there not having issues with HS3 only I am !!! My customers would tell you I take ownership of issues the that company I work for at the time, when it's our issue and I will also take ownership of the others companies equipment connected to my companies equipment ,, they purchased a whole system from us not just the part we sell and they just want it to work they don't want finger pointing that it's the other companies issue.. It's funny when I call most of those other companies to explain there issue the 1st words out for there mouths is,,, you guessed it ,, it's my companies fault ,, I love the pause when I explain I am the other company and know it's there issue because I replaced the non-working equipment with another of there equipment or somebody else's equipment and the instrument is working as it should.. I'm not a fan of the pass a buck method of troubleshooting and I let them know.. I've been called on the carpet many times for letting companies know there full of BS , yet all I do is tell my boss "prove me wrong and I will be the 1st a call them and apologise and I have when wrong,, which one doesn't even need two handles to count.. I don't like being wrong so I make sure before I point fingers .... Thanks once again Mark...

Comment

if you open a browser to the hub url do you get a login prompt?

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:25105/

if not, then you don't need one for the plugin

only the local username & pswd is required. it won't be an email address

you might try username:admin without a pswd
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Hi Mark:
              The short story is I removed my second NIC and the hub has been up 24+ hours.. ofcourse I have a new issue which is not related to your plugin..

The new issue is "Please wait for the updater control file failed to be downloaded or parsed.". got to love it....

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                Hi Mark:
                The short story is I removed my second NIC and the hub has been up 24+ hours.. ofcourse I have a new issue which is not related to your plugin..

The new issue is "Please wait for the updater control file failed to be downloaded or parsed.". got to love it....
                glad you're making progress.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                X