No announcement yet.

Davis Weather Station & HomerSeer Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah here while utilizing the Davis ISS rain guage also utilized the old Dallas 1-wire tipping bucket and two Hydreon Digital Rain devices with Cumulus.

Occasionally I would have to clean the ISS bucket such. I had a bird eat my wind sensors once. (only time I have every seen that with my weather stuff in some 20 years).

One Hydreon digital rain instrument is configured for just a rain on and off switch and the other doing rain measurements.

The Hydreon digital rain instrument can measure when it's foggy outside.

I did not have similiar numbers between the digital rain guage and tipping bucket.

It is discussed here on the Cumulus forum:

New "digital" Rain instrument in 2012.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bucket is clean. I deposited water into the bucket and could hear the tipping mechanism working and observe the water leaking out.

As soon as the weather clears I will check to make sure the contacts are clean and check the connector for proper seating.

If they are clean and wire properly seated, I will contact Davis for support. It is quite possible the switch (a reed switch I believe) could be bad and need replacement.

Always something :-)

Now on to trying to get camera recognized by HSTOUCH - but that is another topic area.

Comment

Yeah here never had an issue with the Davis tipping bucket. That said looked over at the wxforum weather site this morning and see this:

I've seen Davis anemometers' and VP rain gauges' reed switches go bad from internal arcing of the reed leaves caused by induced EMF from a nearby strike. The inside glass envelope might be darkened like that of a burned out light bulb.

Over the years here I would move the ISS around a bit.

Helping a Homeseer peer in AZ suggested that he install it lower than higher and closer than further.

Initially he installed his Davis ISS on the roof of a shed in the back of the yard. Later he moved it to the roof of his patio.

That and he went to using the Meteostick USB stick rather than the Davis console.

Here do HSTouch video via quick snapshots or externally via VLC. I use VLC today for Homeseer touch local streaming audio and video. Works great.

I have not tried the HSTouch new camera options in a long time. When I did they were too resource intensive for me.

I see you are close to water. Here relating to close to salt water always have had issues with just about anything installed outside over the years.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Techvet View Post
            So I have a question about using my Davis VP2 with HomeSeer Pro. Actually I have it working well and updating every 3 minutes and all the data I want is visible, except for the Wind Direction as expressed in the 16 pt. compass rose format.
            How are you importing the values from WeatherLink into HS? Plug-in? Script?

Edit:
            Not trying to be obtuse in my question, but it does not appear that Rick has posted for several years.
            If the question is about his methods, you might try sending him a private message.
            If the question is a more general one, then more information about the problem would help.
            Last edited by Uncle Michael; May 8, 2018, 07:55 AM. Reason: more explanation
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              How are you importing the values from WeatherLink into HS? Plug-in? Script?

Edit:
              Not trying to be obtuse in my question, but it does not appear that Rick has posted for several years.
              If the question is about his methods, you might try sending him a private message.
              If the question is a more general one, then more information about the problem would help.

I use a script that works more like Method 2 of Rick's write-up. It starts with WeatherLink using a htx file to generate a simple txt document to be used as a script, which is stored in the scripts directory of HS3. That file gets generated once every minute. Note that this step works perfectly regardless of if I use "windDir" or "windDirection" - i.e WeatherLink always puts the correct information in the script text file.

Then I run a repeating event in HS3 that calls the text file to populate the devices and this is where I think the hang-up occurs.

Here is the contents of the htx file that WeatherLink uses:

Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", <!--outsideTemp-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", <!--outsideHumidity-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w52", <!--barometer-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w53", <!--windSpeed-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w54", <!--windDir-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w55", <!--hiWindSpeed-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w56", <!--rainRate-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w57", <!--dailyRain-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w58", <!--stormRain-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w59", <!--monthlyRain-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w60", <!--totalRain-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w61", <!--outsideHeatIndex-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w62", <!--windChill-->

End Sub

Then here is the resulting TXT file that runs as as the script (includes an example of the scrapped data):

Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", 56.1

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", 88

hs.SetDeviceValue "w52", 30.137

hs.SetDeviceValue "w53", 0.0

hs.SetDeviceValue "w54", 265

hs.SetDeviceValue "w55", 12.0

hs.SetDeviceValue "w56", 0.96

hs.SetDeviceValue "w57", 0.10

hs.SetDeviceValue "w58", 0.10

hs.SetDeviceValue "w59", 0.26

hs.SetDeviceValue "w60", 28.95

hs.SetDeviceValue "w61", 56.1

hs.SetDeviceValue "w62", 56.1

End Sub

Device w54 (the wind direction) always displays correctly when "windDir" is used, but it reports 0 when "windDirection" is used. Of course windDir returns a numerical value, but "windDirection" returns a string. From what I've read, this is the problem. How do I get w54 to show the string??
              Last edited by Techvet; May 8, 2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Techvet, use hs.SetDeviceString for Wind Direction instead of hs.SetDeviceValue. DeviceValue is numeric only. DeviceString allows text or numbers.

-Chris

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tried that - still no joy. This time the Device won't update at all. It just shows the last numerical value, in this case 64 (degrees). This morning's winds are dead calm, so, I stepped outside and moved the wind vane to a new position. When I did that, I DO see the update in the TXT file that the HTX file is generating, but for some reason I just can't get HS3 to accept and populate the device with the new String.

Here is an example of the new TXT file.

Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", 48.1

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", 98

hs.SetDeviceValue "w52", 30.147

hs.SetDeviceString "w54", N

hs.SetDeviceValue "w55", 4.0

hs.SetDeviceValue "w56", 0.00

hs.SetDeviceValue "w57", 0.00

hs.SetDeviceValue "w58", 0.41

hs.SetDeviceValue "w59", 0.57

hs.SetDeviceValue "w60", 29.26

hs.SetDeviceValue "w61", 48.6

hs.SetDeviceValue "w62", 48.1

End Sub

Comment

the Device won't update at all. It just shows the last numerical value, in this case 64 (degrees).
                    Here is an example of the new TXT file.

hs.SetDeviceString "w54", N
                    Do you get an error in the HS log? I would expect one, because the direction needs to be in quotes:
                    hs.SetDeviceString "w54", "N"
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

hs.SetDeviceString uses a different format. You need to end up with something like:

hs.SetDeviceString(w54, "NW", True)

See http://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/st...etdevicestring for more info.

-Chris

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cjohlandt View Post
                        hs.SetDeviceString uses a different format. You need to end up with something like:

hs.SetDeviceString(w54, "NW", True)
                        Good catch. The function also requires the device Ref ID, not the device code, so "w54" needs to be replaced with the Ref ID for the device (without quotes).

hs.SetDeviceString(nnnn, "NW", True)

Comment

Still not working, but getting an error this time.

Error Running script, script run or compile error in file: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/WeatherDevices.txt1044:Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub in line 11 More info: Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub

Here is what the text file looks like now.

Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", 69.2

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", 47

hs.SetDeviceValue "w52", 30.106

hs.SetDeviceString (255, "ENE", True)

hs.SetDeviceValue "w55", 12.0

hs.SetDeviceValue "w56", 0.00

hs.SetDeviceValue "w57", 0.00

hs.SetDeviceValue "w58", 0.41

hs.SetDeviceValue "w59", 0.57

hs.SetDeviceValue "w60", 29.26

hs.SetDeviceValue "w61", 67.4

hs.SetDeviceValue "w62", 69.2

End Sub

Comment

Okay. Just for grins I removed the parenthesis and the error disappeared and... IT WORKS!! Thanks to all for the help.

Comment

Okay. Just for grins I removed the parenthesis and the error disappeared and... IT WORKS!! Thanks to all for the help.
                              That's actually reassuring. . .in a way. Since the script you are using is VBS, I would not expect the function to use parentheses, but the HS Help file includes an example with parentheses in (what appears to be a VBS script).

Comment

Glad you got it working. I remember dealing with the string vs. value issue a number of years ago when I set up the script for my weather station, but my memory's a bit rusty.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X