No announcement yet.

Sonoff Basic Wifi Garage MQTT configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outch. Saved new MQTT settings, saw it reboot, and now it is dead. Man, I just can't win.
    Will turn it off for a bit and see if I can bring it back to life.
    Don

Comment

Let it set a spell...then plug it back in...should boot fine.

That said with the MQTT not working though use a HS program to ping the device as it needs to be chatty kathy on your network or it goes to sleep...might work keeping it awake....

or

if you got a spare Windows PC on and around install Mosquitto on it and let it run or use an ubuntu live USB boot and install mosquitto on ubuntu..

Point your SonOff to the spare mosquitto box and Homeseer mcsMQTT plugin will see it then...
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Tasmota will respond to HTTP, but the expected operation is communication via MQTT. There should be one MQTT broker on your network. Mosquitto is normally used.

When configuring Sonoff for MQTT use the IP address of where Mosquitto is installed and default 1883 port. If you setup Mosquitto without username and password then you do not care about what is used for these in Tasmota.

Assuming you will use HS to control the Sonoff then you should install mcsMQTT plugin. On the General Tab of mcsMQTT there will be text box to put in the IP address of the MQTT broker. Same value should be used here as with Sonoff/Tasmota since we want the same broker to route messages between Sonoff and HS.

If you use mcsSprinklers plugin then you do not need mcsMQTT plugin, but you still need MQTT broker installed on the network. I have mine on a Odroid C1 (RPi-clone) and it has been going strong since installed.

Tasmota source is not at Rev 6.0.0a. The last binary I saw was 5.14. I have put the irrigation control in 6.0.0a and running it through its paces. I have four units I am testing various aspects. I do not have issues with 5.9.12 on three different units, but migrating to the latest Tasmota and only touching what is needed for irrigation should be a better solution.

During my venture the past couple days I have situations where WiFi connections were not stable. During this same time my various Echos have also reported that they lost their connection so I attribute this issue more with congestion than with specific firmware.

Comment

Thank you Michael.

Yup here went to using BLLAN and pinging the html address of the SonOff when I was having issues.

Also have configured a unique WAP for SonOff use and testing. (Tinkering OpenWRT routers).

1 - Curious then are you going to update the mcsTasmota.bin file to version 5.14?

2 - Is this an issue related to the mcsMQTT plugin or the mcsTasmota.bin file?

When using version 12 of the mcsTasmota.bin file the Sonoff just keeps trying to get to the WAP (seeing this via the serial JTAG connection).
          Only version 11 is working for me ...well sort of...

01:52:50 MQT: Connect failed to ip_of_homeseer_server:1883, rc -2. Retry in 10 sec
          01:52:50 UPP: Multicast (re)joined
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am away from home now, but my memory is that the only change between .11 and .12 is the polarity of the irrigation override which will be gpio2. It needed to be high to boot and I wanted the default behavior to be with irrigation monitoring active.

Based upon reading above I think there is an architectural confusion. Everything on the LAN will be configured to "point to" the IP where Mosquitto is installed. The is no pointing to HS/McsMQT.
            If you have multiple Mosquitto instances installed then traffic is only processed for the clients that subscribe to a specific instance.

Comment

Does there have to be a Mosquitto instance somewhere? I was under the impression that the Sonoff device took care of all that. If not, well, that explains things.
              Don

Comment

Bill,
                I did not like any solution for garage door that depended on centralized logic or complex devices. Just too many failure modes.

With the microcontroller the failure mode leaves the normally open relay that controls the pushbutton in the open state. The command for door control is desired position and not just a button push. The micro knows the position so will do nothing if it is commanded to a position it is already in.

The security is the biggest concern with ability to hack your network and gain access to locks and door.

Comment

If you have multiple Mosquitto instances installed then traffic is only processed for the clients that subscribe to a specific instance.

@Michael,

Apologies.

I was under the assumption that the mcsMQTT plugin was running Mosquitto client and assumed it was also running the broker and that all I had to do was point the IP in general setting to the broker.

This will fix my issues now as I have the two Node Red devices running Mosquitto and have been adding Mosquitto clients to my test OpenWRT microrouters.

Well then too I should install Mosquitto on the HS3 box running Linux.

@Don,

You can install Mosquitto on the Windows box running HS3 by doing the following:

How to Install The Mosquitto MQTT Broker on Windows
                  Last edited by Pete; June 15, 2018, 07:52 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Trying to install Misquitto, have installed Win32OpenSSL Light. The Misquitto installer complaining that it can't find SSLEY32.dll. Looking on my HomeSeer machine I found two of these files, but none in the Windows/System folder. Where does this dll belong, and do I have to register it?

AARRG!
                    Don

Comment

Did you install the portable zip version which is a self contained directory to get you going as recommended by the post author Steve?

If you did and this doesn't work then we need to write to Steve about it.

Anyhow...

Register 32 bit DLL on 64 bit Windows
                      • Use the 32-bit version of Regsvr32 to register a 32-bit DLL on a 64-bit version of Windows
                      • Open an elevated command prompt.
                      • If the 32-bit DLL is in the %systemroot%\System32 folder, move it to the %systemroot%\SysWoW64 folder.
                      • Run the following command: %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32 <full path of the DLL>
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

This morning redid my two Node Reds adding a Node Red Broker to one instance of Node Red and removing the originally installed Mosquitto to let Node Red do all of the Mosquitto stuff and changed all of the settings of the SonOff, Node Red's and Homeseer 3 plugin to point to the single instance of one Broker. Reconfigured associations which are not published and started to configure the Sonoff published stuff. It is working well.

This is a picture of about 1/2 of the 1-wire sensors on line and looking here to make sure that everything is updating from the two Node Red configured RPi's.
                        It is working well now. Next off to adding the Sonoff switches.

[ATTACH]69364[/ATTACH]

That said tested SonOff mcsTasmota bin # 12 and it still is the same when booting looking for an AP so again downgraded the file to version #11.
                        Last edited by Pete; June 16, 2018, 09:42 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Yeah here use Sentrol switches which have NC / NO connections. Kind of overdoing it for a garage door with two on a door (top and bottom).

[ATTACH]69348[/ATTACH]
                          I like the switch and they're so easy to install but they're expensive at $30+ each and I'd need two of them. That a lot more than the Pi ZeroW and the Automation hat that will be controlling the door.
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

The existing garage door position sensors used by the motor controller should be able to be used by Sonoff/microcontroller. Just need to figure how to tap into them. Should be low tech contact switches where the only concern is that DC is used for sensing and the voltage level is safe for GPIO. A resistor voltage divider could be needed so a tap exists for 3V/Gnd.

Comment

I have been working with version 6.0 of Tasmota with irrigation control working well and very stable WiFi connections. Reflashing multiple times has been seamless.

What I did learn is that something changed between version 5 and version 6 and trying to go back and forth when flashing causes all sorts of problems trying to start and get WiFi after flashing. I am going to try to figure out a migration path that works reliably before posting.

While I do not think there are cpu use issues with the irrigation logic as it is simpler than most other logic inside the device, I did change it to only process one relay per second where before it would process all four in the first second of the minute. This change will even out the cpu use for irrigation. I will put this update in version 5 also depending upon what I find for migration between 5 & 6.

Comment

Great news Pete. About to dive into the Windows Misquitto install.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                                This morning redid my two Node Reds adding a Node Red Broker to one instance of Node Red and removing the originally installed Mosquitto to let Node Red do all of the Mosquitto stuff and changed all of the settings of the SonOff, Node Red's and Homeseer 3 plugin to point to the single instance of one Broker. Reconfigured associations which are not published and started to configure the Sonoff published stuff. It is working well.

This is a picture of about 1/2 of the 1-wire sensors on line and looking here to make sure that everything is updating from the two Node Red configured RPi's.
                                Don

Comment

Working...
                                X