This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee support

I don't see a recent message updating support for Zigbee. I'm considering adding more devices to my existing home setup. It is Z-wave now but seems Zigbee is superior technology and there are now devices out in the market now (e.g., Kwikset deadbolt while supports Zigbee; and the ETRX2USB from Silica Valley). What is HomeSeer's support for Zigbee controllers, interfaces. If not now, when?

Monty

There currently is no Zigbee support and I wouldn't expect any unless some third party produces a plugin. There are simply too few devices available for use and Zigbee seems to be marketed toward the industrial market for now.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It would be a great thing if HS supported Zigbee.

Personally I have purchased an Omnistat2 2000 (serial) for FL. Its still sitting in the box though.

I have been procrastinating the wiring of it and may just go to the Omnistat2 Zigbee model instead. I guess sticking with the Omnistat though cuz I've been using it for over 10 years now (originally though with the RC series).

Most likely though my initial Zigbee testing will be here in the Midwest for a period of time. (my HA sandbox is here)
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

ZigBee Plugin

It would indeed be nice if HS supported ZigBee. There are now MANY devices available from several parties including www.smartenit.com that include some very attractive/unique solutions such as a 16-zone irrigation controller, an easy to install electric utility meter reader, valve actuators, and all sorts of sensors.

Smartenit.com is offering a developer kit to a qualified plugin developer to deliver HS ZigBee support using either their USB stick or their ZBPLM. The USB stick is ZigBee only and the ZBPLM adds ZigBee to an INSTEON PLM so it can concurrently support both protocols. Both devices use the PLM serial packet protocol so the plugin could be based on an existing INSTEON plugin.

To see some of the solutions Smartenit is delivering with ZigBee and INSTEON, go to video.smartenit.com

Comment

Adding ZigBee support might even mean HS integration with the NEST thermostat. That would be an attractive option!
          Nicolai L

Comment

I have two Arduinos that have ZigBee shields. I would love to be able to command these devices vie HomeSeer. Is there a way to build a Z-Wave to ZigBee bridge?
            Could we write a driver for an Arduino?

Comment

Originally posted by alchoper View Post
              It would indeed be nice if HS supported ZigBee. There are now MANY devices available from several parties including www.smartenit.com that include some very attractive/unique solutions such as a 16-zone irrigation controller, an easy to install electric utility meter reader, valve actuators, and all sorts of sensors.

Smartenit.com is offering a developer kit to a qualified plugin developer to deliver HS ZigBee support using either their USB stick or their ZBPLM. The USB stick is ZigBee only and the ZBPLM adds ZigBee to an INSTEON PLM so it can concurrently support both protocols. Both devices use the PLM serial packet protocol so the plugin could be based on an existing INSTEON plugin.

To see some of the solutions Smartenit is delivering with ZigBee and INSTEON, go to video.smartenit.com
              There may be lots of devices but they're not all compatible. Zigbee vendors uses different protocol stacks for the upper 3 layers (of 7)' so while it's a standard, you have to specifically know if device a is interoperable with device b. frankly it's a mess. I think I read something somewhere that they're trying to change it, but it's a mammoth task for installed devices.

That's why control4 support some devices and Crestron may not

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
              2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
              USB UIRT
              Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
              WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Thanks for the repost information.

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                  Adding ZigBee support might even mean HS integration with the NEST thermostat. That would be an attractive option!
                  It would be nice if we could use the nest auto-away sensor Otherwise I'm pretty happy though letting Nest manage itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd32 View Post
                    It would be nice if we could use the nest auto-away sensor Otherwise I'm pretty happy though letting Nest manage itself.
                    Would be even nicer if NEST would publish an API. I've been searchign for Wifi stat with API. Only one on market from what I can see and that's the RadioThermostat's one (aka, filtrete). I was shocked.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                    USB UIRT
                    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                    2GIG Thermostat
                    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                    BLUPS
                    UltraLog (SQL2008)
                    Jon00 Plugins
                    Global Cache IP2IR
                    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I have noticed that on the international side of "things" there seems to be a trend levitating a bit towards Zigbee.

BTW Control4's literally sudden foray into the automation world and use of Zigbee did in fact turn off many folks to the HA world due to basic simple issue of collateral RF interference. This did give both Zigbee and Control4 a "black eye" relating to first time HA users.

Here is a quickie article from Electronic Design.

ZigBeeZ-WaveSummary
                      http://electronicdesign.com/article/...ee-zwave-73665
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pete; October 16, 2012, 05:29 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
                        Would be even nicer if NEST would publish an API. I've been searchign for Wifi stat with API. Only one on market from what I can see and that's the RadioThermostat's one (aka, filtrete). I was shocked.
                        Not quite an open API but here is a python script to get/set what you need from Nest.

http://www.smbaker.com/a-python-api-for-the-nest-learning-thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          I have noticed that on the international side of "things" there seems to be a trend levitating a bit towards Zigbee.

BTW Control4's literally sudden foray into the automation world and use of Zigbee did in fact turn off many folks to the HA world due to basic simple issue of collateral RF interference. This did give both Zigbee and Control4 a "black eye" relating to first time HA users.
                          in my discussons with HA vendors that covers the two reasons why they elected to use Zigbee:
                          1. Global acceptance - Z-wave is still obtaining licenses to use the spectrum for different countries (territories) and each country may require a different frequency (e.g Europe and US use different frequencies)
                          2. Not single-sourced. No-one wants to be dependant on a single supplier (Zensys). Last year Zensys licensed a second manufacturer, so the risk is a little lower.
                          Also Zigbee has been around a lot longer, but I'd still rather have z-wave if I'm cobbling together my own solution because of interoparibilty.

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                          USB UIRT
                          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                          2GIG Thermostat
                          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                          BLUPS
                          UltraLog (SQL2008)
                          Jon00 Plugins
                          Global Cache IP2IR
                          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Over the years past (I am old now) I have had to deal with licensing of radio frequencies in general relating to international whatever endeavors. I had to work with what was most accepted at the time.

Personally it was always a PITA when trying to come up with some "cookie" cutter standards relating whatever country or government laws that governed radio frequencies and play with the various RF standards from one country to another. (relating to what I was doing and writing guidelines for).

The above said the direction will be relating to "one size" fits all on the international side relating to a universally acceptable means of using RF for Home automation.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It's a year later, and I'm wondering if there's any reconsideration of Zigbee? I'm seeing a lot more new products support Zigbee (many of Lowe's IRIS line, for example), and I would love to integrate some of their components (especially their dirt-cheap button triggers) into HomeSeer.

Comment

Working...
                              X