Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a false positive?

Probably.

maybe this is why you specified a 16GB card?

Ok that didn't work.

I downloaded it, unzipped it, renamed the file using a .img extension. Used Linux Etcher to write it to a 16Gb SD card and it had no issues.

Yes 16Gb is more than you need for the Zee2 and I have read issues here relating to using a 32Gb card for the Zee2.

Might be easier to first write the image on the 16Gb card, check the booting then write that image to a 32Gb card if you still want to utilize a 32Gb card.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Is this a false positive?

Probably.

maybe this is why you specified a 16GB card?

Ok that didn't work.

I downloaded it, unzipped it, renamed the file using a .img extension. Used Linux Etcher to write it to a 16Gb SD card and it had no issues.

Yes 16Gb is more than you need for the Zee2 and I have read issues here relating to using a 32Gb card for the Zee2.

Might be easier to first write the image on the 16Gb card, check the booting then write that image to a 32Gb card if you still want to utilize a 32Gb card.
      So the new file that suddenly appeared on the download link yesterday worked. I was able to use Win32 Image creator to make a working image but it still only takes up 7 Gb of my 32Gb card. I tried running the file system expand option in raspi-config and it give as error that it can't redone because it's either a NOOBS or the files system is already expanded.

I need to run some errands now so I'll post the actual error later. So I'm still stuck getting the image to fill the card. This new image is still broken. At least partially anyway. Thanks everyone for the time you have put into this so far. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post
        So the new file that suddenly appeared on the download link yesterday worked. I was able to use Win32 Image creator to make a working image but it still only takes up 7 Gb of my 32Gb card. I tried running the file system expand option in raspi-config and it give as error that it can't redone because it's either a NOOBS or the files system is already expanded.

I need to run some errands now so I'll post the actual error later. So I'm still stuck getting the image to fill the card. This new image is still broken. At least partially anyway. Thanks everyone for the time you have put into this so far. Much appreciated!
        The raspi-config command has informed you that the file system is now using your full card. Your problem is solved. The link I posted earlier will allow you to check how exactly how your SD card is partioned. Here it is again. Have a read of it. https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewt...hp?f=31&t=3119

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
          The raspi-config command has informed you that the file system is now using your full card. Your problem is solved. The link I posted earlier will allow you to check how exactly how your SD card is partioned. Here it is again. Have a read of it. https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewt...hp?f=31&t=3119
          This is what I get when I do df -h via Putty

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V3:~ $ df -h
          Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
          /dev/root 6.9G 4.4G 2.2G 68% /
          devtmpfs 459M 0 459M 0% /dev
          tmpfs 463M 16K 463M 1% /dev/shm
          tmpfs 463M 6.6M 457M 2% /run
          tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
          tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
          tmpfs 463M 448K 463M 1% /var/log
          tmpfs 463M 456K 463M 1% /tmp
          /dev/mmcblk0p6 60M 20M 40M 33% /boot
          tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1001
          homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V3:~ $

Gparted shows 21.52 GB unallocated and won;t let me expand it.

I'll try it on a 16GB card.

rfingez - How about you? Did your file system use the whole card?

Comment

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post
            This is what I get when I do df -h via Putty

homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V3:~ $ df -h
            Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
            /dev/root 6.9G 4.4G 2.2G 68% /
            devtmpfs 459M 0 459M 0% /dev
            tmpfs 463M 16K 463M 1% /dev/shm
            tmpfs 463M 6.6M 457M 2% /run
            tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
            tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
            tmpfs 463M 448K 463M 1% /var/log
            tmpfs 463M 456K 463M 1% /tmp
            /dev/mmcblk0p6 60M 20M 40M 33% /boot
            tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1001
            homeseer@HomeTrollerZeeS2V3:~ $

Gparted shows 21.52 GB unallocated and won;t let me expand it.

I'll try it on a 16GB card.

rfingez - How about you? Did your file system use the whole card?
            What you are seeing is the norm when copying using WinDiskImager or similar binary imagers, unfortunately.
            I haven't played with with NOOBS disks, which is what the ZeeS2 is based on. With Raspbian based systems it's fairly straightforward. I'll take a look when I get home and see what I can come up with.

Comment

BTW, did you take a look in the Config folder of your original disk? I'm curious as to what is so big in there.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                BTW, did you take a look in the Config folder of your original disk? I'm curious as to what is so big in there.
                Sorry, I haven't yet. This is making me crazy and I accidentally wrote an image onto a somewhat important USB drive.

I did try using Etcher to restore the mage onto a 16gb card and still stuck not being able to expand out the partition.

So technically the image that Homeseer sold me is still broken. I logged a support ticket but what they have come back indicates they won't fully read all the info I sent them. I'm not still on them about it.

Comment

It seems that expanding the rootfs on a NOOBS install is not for the faint of heart. Here is a procedure that "should" work, but its pretty complicated.

If you have a USB SD adapter and a second card, the rpi-clone script will do the job (just tested successfully). This script duplicates the running card and resizes the copy as it goes.

You can grab rpi-clone from here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...62#post1359862

Unzip, then plugin the SD adapter and card. Run the script like so:

sudo ./rpi-clone -f -U sda

It take awhile (maybe 15-20 minutes).

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                    It seems that expanding the rootfs on a NOOBS install is not for the faint of heart. Here is a procedure that "should" work, but its pretty complicated.

If you have a USB SD adapter and a second card, the rpi-clone script will do the job (just tested successfully). This script duplicates the running card and resizes the copy as it goes.

You can grab rpi-clone from here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...62#post1359862

Unzip, then plugin the SD adapter and card. Run the script like so:

sudo ./rpi-clone -f -U sda

It take awhile (maybe 15-20 minutes).

Comment

So this is running Gparted on the Rpi then?

No.

You can run GParted on a live OS but not really manage your os system live or mounted partitions.

You run it on a live boot disk and manage a connected disk drive / USB stick / SD.

Typically when connecting a USB stick or SD card to a running Linux (Ubuntu say) the OS automagically mounts the device. In order to make any changes to the device partitions like creating new or resizing the partitions you have to unmount the partition.

Rpi-clone is a shell script that is for cloning a running / live Raspberry Pi booted source disk (SD card or USB disk) to a destination disk which will be bootable. Destination disks are SD cards in the SD card slot or a USB card reader, USB flash disks, or USB hard drives.

rpi-clone may work in SD card booted devices other than a Raspberry Pi because when initializing a disk, rpi-clone images a first /boot partition and boot loader setup can be captured. But this will depend on how the boot loading is handled on each device.

Here is a partition map. You really only expand the OS partition and never the boot partition. Here have manually created the fat partitions and copied boot files to them which does work when I deal with EFI, fat16 partitions (even fat32 sort of works this way).

Whenever you expand the partition on the SD card you are only expanding the system Ext4 partition and never really doing anything with the boot partitions. Most likely if you check or try to fix the two fat partitions mentioned below you will get errors.

On the Zee2 the DR partition restores the working OS with Homeseer partition and it takes you back to the beginning. It does not restore any of your settings in Homeseer. That is where you need a back up of the Homeseer directory. IE: for new then you would write a fresh image on your SD card then restore the Homeseer directory or configure your Homeseer from scratch.

Personally not sure if new image is using Stretch and current version of Mono.

If not it is easier to build a new RPi with Stretch and Mono and then just copy over Homeseer 3 and configure it to autostart.

Old NOOBs partitions.

[ATTACH]68432[/ATTACH]

New NOOBs (v1.5.x) partitions.

[ATTACH]68433[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68434[/ATTACH]
                      Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2018, 11:05 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The link posted above uses parted rather than gparted. He also uses fdisk.

rpi-clone calls both of those programs; it takes care automatically of what the author does manually.

Comment

The table at the end of post #40 is that of the older NOOBS layout; the Zee layout is per the NOOBS v1.5 layout shown here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs...ning-explained

Comment

Thank you David edited the above to show the two NOOBS layouts.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              So this is running Gparted on the Rpi then?

No.

You can run GParted on a live OS but not really manage your os system live or mounted partitions.

You run it on a live boot disk and manage a connected disk drive / USB stick / SD.

Typically when connecting a USB stick or SD card to a running Linux (Ubuntu say) the OS automagically mounts the device. In order to make any changes to the device partitions like creating new or resizing the partitions you have to unmount the partition.

Rpi-clone is a shell script that is for cloning a running / live Raspberry Pi booted source disk (SD card or USB disk) to a destination disk which will be bootable. Destination disks are SD cards in the SD card slot or a USB card reader, USB flash disks, or USB hard drives.

rpi-clone may work in SD card booted devices other than a Raspberry Pi because when initializing a disk, rpi-clone images a first /boot partition and boot loader setup can be captured. But this will depend on how the boot loading is handled on each device.

Here is a partition map. You really only expand the OS partition and never the boot partition. Here have manually created the fat partitions and copied boot files to them which does work when I deal with EFI, fat16 partitions (even fat32 sort of works this way).

Whenever you expand the partition on the SD card you are only expanding the system Ext4 partition and never really doing anything with the boot partitions. Most likely if you check or try to fix the two fat partitions mentioned below you will get errors.

On the Zee2 the DR partition restores the working OS with Homeseer partition and it takes you back to the beginning. It does not restore any of your settings in Homeseer. That is where you need a back up of the Homeseer directory. IE: for new then you would write a fresh image on your SD card then restore the Homeseer directory or configure your Homeseer from scratch.

Personally not sure if new image is using Stretch and current version of Mono.

If not it is easier to build a new RPi with Stretch and Mono and then just copy over Homeseer 3 and configure it to autostart.

[ATTACH]68432[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks for this. Ok I will tackle it tonight (without any distractions).

I am still miffed that the image I paid for requires all this work so I called into the HS sales line and got someone who knew the whole story. Turns out the Wheezy image filling up is a known problem.

New images were being tested this week and they know there were some mixups with the files and matching instructions. He said they guaranty a working image and will stick with me until I get one running. He also said I should never ever need to go any larger then an 8gb card. He admitted not all the support techs may he been told about this which explains why I got the runaround. He is going to ensure I get the stable image I paid for.

On the bright side I'm learning a lot and Rpi and Linux which I needed to do anyway and I really appreciate all the time you folks put into helping me (and others I'm sure).

So I'm going abandon trying to expand out this image to a larger card and stay the course on finding out which file caused my Feb 11th Wheezy image card to fill up so I can learn as much as possible. So I'll tackle those steps tonight. Thanks again this is a great group of folks!

Comment

Here the original Homeseer Zee came with a 4Gb SD card a few years back.

I did a back up image copy of the SD card to an 8 Gb SD card and never did use the original 4Gb card.

Never though exceeded the 4Gb card space. I did have RW issues over time and trashed two old SD cards in less than a year.

Fast forward to the first generation of the Zee2.

It was sold with an 8Gb card. Here went to using a 16Gb micro SD card with it. This is probably too much anyhow as today I am using around 30% of the 16Gb card. I ran out of 16Gb cards and switched to the Pine64 computer running Ubuntu Server and there went to 32Gb. That said it is faster and easier to image a smaller SD card (like an 8 or 16) than a larger SD card like a 32 or 64Gb card. Today the micro SD cards are faster and more resilient than the old ones.

My Homeseer Lite (Zee2) directory today is 256Mb running 5 plugins. The Homeseer Pro computer is not much larger.

Hopefull the new Zee2 image will be running Stretch / current version of mono.

Note that there is nothing special about the Zee2 RPi build other than the auto booting of Homeseer and Mono on a regular current build of Rasperian.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X