This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing Audio

Is it possible to have this plugin push Audio stream (hs announcements or from media player pllugin) to elk speakers connected through the panel? I know this isn't quaility or anything but thats not what I'm looking for. Would this be hard to implement with the network addon.

You may have this already I haven't got a chance to play around with it yet.
    My panel is over 50 ft. from HS computer so I'm holding off until the network addon becomes available to get the plugin. Hopefully you'll have the network working shortly after availability.

It'll give me time to install all the sensors.

I have never seen anything in the protocol specs that would allow this. But I should add that there are no specs for the e-net interface, yet I would highly doubt that this would be possible.

It appears that they have a defined set of words that can be spoken, with each word element having a distinct number, and phrases are created by chaining word elements together.

You could always use on the the output relay boards to switch the speaker between two different sources to accomplish this, but you will undoubtedly hear a 'pop' in the speakers during the switch.

Why not just set up a separate audio system? It would sound much, much better and you would have greater control and expandability.

Comment

The board has an audio network interface for the 2-way listening capability and the instruction manual alludes to future add-ons. It would be nice if the board provided a line level output so that I could hook it into my whole house audio system. As it stands, I'm not sure if I could connect Out1 to a line level input.

Comment

Line Level to Output 1 command

What you need is the ability to feed line level audio in the two way audio connector and send an ASCII command to the M1 to control (turn on/turn off) the Output 1 audio amp. Possible, but not implimented.

Comment

Great glad to hear that, David.

Like I said I don't expect great sound but it would be nice since I don't have any speakers for HS.

Anyways I just saw the network add-on on Worthington around 200.00 it's too much for me. Hopefully this is wrong but it's listed. I would bite at half this.

Guess I'll have to extend the serial cable. Anyone doing this? around 50 ft. or more? I gues it will have a slight delay..

Comment

You might want to consider the Lantronix serial to ethernet devices. I have a couple of the EPS1 model. I have not tried this with the panel, however I did use it with the Applied Digital Ocelot. Requires you to create a custom RJ45 to serial cable and run a program on your computer that converts data from the ethernet to a virtual comm port. These are usually available on eBay and the software is free from Lantronix. Works better in XP than Win98SE for some reason.

Please also be aware that the device does not work well over wireless connections, maybe due to timing?

Comment

Working...
            X