Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cheap way to make a dryer sensor is to use aeon labs whole house monitor ( on amazon for $24 ) and hook that in on the power lines going into the dryer. way cheaper than the other switches with sensing and easy to add.
    Attached Files
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
      A cheap way to make a dryer sensor is to use aeon labs whole house monitor ( on amazon for $24 ) and hook that in on the power lines going into the dryer. way cheaper than the other switches with sensing and easy to add.
      Keep in mind you'll either have to split the power cable and clamp the individual power lines or purchase parts to make your own pigtail to do this. keep in mind also that those units are very old HEM v1 sensors with old firmware.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yeah i bought the single power monitoring z wave device... should.b here today. I will see which way I want to go for dryer

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Keep in mind you'll either have to split the power cable and clamp the individual power lines or purchase parts to make your own pigtail to do this. keep in mind also that those units are very old HEM v1 sensors with old firmware.

open the back and the cable splits inside with room to add the clamps.

the software is fine to tell it the basic power output which is all you need to detect dryer running or not
          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Here, using an aeon labs gen 1 ( $24 on amazon ) no need to the much more expensive gen 2 ) whole house power monitor as a dryer power sensor. you only need ONE of the 2 probes, , simply open the back access panned and hook the probe around the read or the black wire. run the probe wire out of the existing hole and replace the cover.

plug the sensor wire into the zwave module, link it to the zwave network and your done.. in 10 mins or less you can now see when the dryer is running ( power watts will be over 50 and when its off ( power watts will drop under 50 )

I used 50 as a mark as some modern dryers have circuity that pulls a small amount of power even when off. an older dryer with a mechanical timer you can it to anything over 0 , but 50 will also work just fine.
            Attached Files

Comment

I setup the Washer the other day time to do the Dryer!!

this would work for the dishwasher also!

thanks guys
              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Here, using an aeon labs gen 1 ( $24 on amazon ) no need to the much more expensive gen 2 ) whole house power monitor as a dryer power sensor. you only need ONE of the 2 probes, , simply open the back access panned and hook the probe around the read or the black wire. run the probe wire out of the existing hole and replace the cover..
                Pretty cool Zac! It's cheaper than a Heavy Duty smart switch, that's for sure!

Comment

Dishwasher are 120v so you could just use a plug in aeon module.
                  Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                  I setup the Washer the other day time to do the Dryer!!

this would work for the dishwasher also!

thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I put the aeon labs clamps around the dryer wires in the breaker box. I did the same for the stove and water heater.
                    So all three in one location and only took s few mins

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    Pretty cool Zac! It's cheaper than a Heavy Duty smart switch, that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Here, using an aeon labs gen 1 ( $24 on amazon ) .
                      It's $19.99 with FREE shipping now!

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                        It's $19.99 with FREE shipping now!
                        Thanks for the tip!
                        Mike

Comment

I just snapped one up too. A quick and easy weekend project for the 240v dryer. If it works well, I will get a 2nd and replace the CurrentCost monitor that I can no longer interface with my HS machine, due to insufficient RF range and my inability to figure out how to extend the pseudo serial over USB thingy.
                          cheeryfool

Comment

FYI - those units were originally purchased by one of the big telcoms for an initiative that got canned. They were sitting on thousands of those!

Comment

I ordered 2. It's a really good deal. The clamp-on current sensing transformers (CR3110) alone cost about $16 each from Digikey!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I received the 2 Aeon Smart Energy Monitors I ordered from Amazon. I installed one of them on my HS2 setup and I plan to install the other one on HS3. It was a very good deal, but not quite what I expected. Over the years I have been watching the development of the Aeon z-wave product line, and I have purchased 2-Z Sticks, 2 multi sensors, and 2 door window sensors. So I have a little bit of experience with the product line. And I expected that I would have to consult the web for some of the Z-wave setup information. However...........

The product shipped from Amazon contained no helpful information. In fact, I doubt it contains the minimum labeling information required by law! Although it contains a large instruction sheet, nice for visually impaired users, it contains no information about: are batteries required, what type of batteries, how to install the batteries, the purpose of the Micro USB power adapter. etc! This lack of basic information is really irritating to me. But "you get what you pay for"!

The biggest surprise, was the size of the clamp-on current sensing transformers. I am very familiar with the CR3110A current transformer. I mistakenly thought the AEON device was using a private label version of this transformer; they look the same. However the AEON transformers are Huge! 4 times bigger than the CR3110a. Yeah they work, but not what I expected. All the pictures I have seen, give the impression of a fairly small device.

I think I got my money's worth, so I shouldn't complain.

I still have a lot more to do to fully utilize this device.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                                Last edited by Steve Q; November 4, 2015, 09:54 AM.
                                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                                X