Light event triggering erratically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light event triggering erratically

I have a lighting event designed to deal with a Hue behaviour. The issue (as most Hue users will know) is that if you turn off a Hue light remotely, and then later want to turn it on via the switch, you need to first turn the switch off, and then turn it back on (First World Problems, I know).

To get around this I created an event that says if the light switch is pressed On, and the Hue lights are off, then turn the Hue bulbs on. It worked fine for 24h, and then I started noticing that once in awhile the Hue bulbs just came on by themselves. Checking the log, there was nothing there except for the Event Trigger getting triggered. ie. no one pushing a button, making a change, or any other device getting switched. Basically the log just shows a passage of time with nothing happening, and then bam, the event triggers. Just wondering if there might be a bug, or if I'm taking the wrong approach or if there's a better setting to use?

Here's the Event:

Here's the Event with more details:

Any ideas? My current understanding is that "This device had its value set to..." Is a akin to "the button was just pressed" But perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.....

Just in case someone happens to notice it - yes it's currently disabled. So as to prevent random triggering until I resolve the issue.....

Comment

Just a bump - I could really use some advice on this issue.....

Comment

What sort of switch is the Overhead Light switch?

You might try changing the trigger to "Changes and becomes" rather than "had its value set to".

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          What sort of switch is the Overhead Light switch?

You might try changing the trigger to "Changes and becomes" rather than "had its value set to".
          It's a Homeseer switch (on/off). The issue with using "Changes and becomes" is that the value isn't changing. The circumstance is that the light switch is already on, but the hue bulb has been set to Off. I'm assuming (perhaps I shouldn't assume?) that since the switch is already set to On when it being pressed On again, that it wouldn't be considered a "change". But then maybe I should try it and see if it picks it up regardless?

Comment

Gotcha. Then on the switch device properties, make sure "Do not update device last change time
            if device value does not change:" is checked.

Comment

Gotcha. Then on the switch device properties, make sure "Do not update device last change time
              if device value does not change:" is checked.
              Interesting, I had never noticed that checkbox before. I just went and looked, and it appears that box is already checked. .

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit out of my league here since I have neither Hue nor Homeseer switches. But this comes to mind: is polling enabled for the device? If so, perhaps the poll could trigger the event...?

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit out of my league here since I have neither Hue nor Homeseer switches. But this comes to mind: is polling enabled for the device? If so, perhaps the poll could trigger the event...?

Comment

Paul,

Is it possible that you have another event that sets either the switch or the Hue lights to off or on? It could be caused by another event that also controls on of the elements in your event...
                    The plugin would set the group device for the Hue lights to off when only one of the lights in that groups is set off for example?

Wim
                    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                      Paul,

Is it possible that you have another event that sets either the switch or the Hue lights to off or on? It could be caused by another event that also controls on of the elements in your event...
                      The plugin would set the group device for the Hue lights to off when only one of the lights in that groups is set off for example?

Wim
                      Hmmm..... That's a possibility. I don't *think* that's the case, but I should go through my events and double check just to be safe.

Actually, though, when I think about it - the log doesn't show any other event triggering - I suspect that if another event was triggering (causing this one to fire), that I should see the event in the log, which I'm not seeing. I'm only seeing the "Zander Overhead On" event fire, with nothing happening prior to it....

Comment

So after several months of not looking into this, I decided to take another stab at it. Same event as at the beginning of this thread. Enabled it, appeared to work correctly in all testing. The only difference is this time I added a Pushover task to the event to notify me as soon as the event gets triggered, so that I could immediately look at the situation.

This is an on/off light switch, which has two Philips Hue bulbs on it. The problem is that if the Light Switch is on, but someone has subsequently turned off the bulbs using Hue, then the next time someone walks into the room and turns the switch on, nothing happens (because the switch is already on, but the bulbs are off at the bulb). The idea of the event is that if someone turns the switch on, but the bulbs are currently Off, then go ahead and turn the bulbs On (via Hue).

SO WHAT HAPPENED? - I reenabled the event around 5pm on March 17, and did a bunch of testing. All appeared to be good. So I left it on. THEN, at 4:23:06 am, the event spontaneously triggered, turning on the lights in the room.

As far as I can tell, there is no other event triggering a change. In fact, when I checked the Switch at the time (which is what I key off of), it showed it's last change date/time as being 5pm-ish the previous day, when I was doing my testing. So the device definitely had not been triggered.

Here's the log immediately surrounding the time it happened:

Mar-18 4:24:00 AM Info Running immediate script: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Temp\K1.vb
                        Mar-18 4:23:07 AM Pushover 3P Pushover Notification Sent - Message Title Zander Overhead On Event Triggered
                        Mar-18 4:23:06 AM Event Event Trigger "Lights Hue Switch - Zander Overhead On"
                        Mar-18 4:23:00 AM Info Running immediate script: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Temp\K1.vb

The script that runs 6 seconds earlier than the event trigger runs every minute, and I'm confident it's not triggering the event. There only stuff before that is stuff related purely to Sonos.

SOOOOO..... it really looks like *nothing* triggered the event. But something MUST have.....

Any ideas where to look next?

regards,

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

I seem to be having a similar issue. I have 5 separate outdoor lights (running off GE zwave switches) which all turn on at dusk, and off around 10pm. Was lying in bed around midnight last night (12:08, made note of the time. To go check my log) when all those lights suddenly turned on. Nice midnight light flood, I'm sure the neighbors appreciated... It's happened a few times now, no apparent rhyme or reason.

I'll try to do some digging in my log file today and see if I can find anything. My biggest concern is that someone might have hacked into my system (through myhs.homeseer.com or by remoting into my pc), but I have no idea how I would investigate that hypothesis.

Just glad I'm not the only one, at least.

Any developments since your last post in March?

Comment

Originally posted by Granger968 View Post
                            Hi Paul,

I seem to be having a similar issue. I have 5 separate outdoor lights (running off GE zwave switches) which all turn on at dusk, and off around 10pm. Was lying in bed around midnight last night (12:08, made note of the time. To go check my log) when all those lights suddenly turned on. Nice midnight light flood, I'm sure the neighbors appreciated... It's happened a few times now, no apparent rhyme or reason.

I'll try to do some digging in my log file today and see if I can find anything. My biggest concern is that someone might have hacked into my system (through myhs.homeseer.com or by remoting into my pc), but I have no idea how I would investigate that hypothesis.

Just glad I'm not the only one, at least.

Any developments since your last post in March?
                            I haven't found the root cause of the problem, though I found a workaround for this specific event. In the event above, I was triggering on if the overhead light switch had it's value set to On (which I still believe ought to work correctly). Since these switches are Homeseer switches, they have a Central Scene child device that lets you know if the button has been pressed one, two or three times (as opposed to the generic on/off of the light). I changed to trigger off of the Central Scene device, which doesn't appear to be getting hit randomly, and that did the trick.

I would like to still find the root cause, though - I have another event that I tried to set up to let me know when ever my deadbolt on my front door changes state. It's literally just "If it changes and becomes Any Value", send me a message. It periodically sends me a message saying that the deadbolt changed state, when it didn't. I have "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change" set, and can see that the last changed timestamp of the deadbolt hasn't changed.

Working from memory, I seem to remember thinking that I might have correlated the message with the length of time of the polling interval I have set on the deadbolt, but that's been awhile. Though even when it polls, it doesn't change the timestamp of the device, so I would have thought it shouldn't send a message.

Interestingly, I have a similar event for my garage overhead door, and that one NEVER sends me a false alarm. But that one also isn't polled.... *shrug*.....

Comment

Have you upgraded to the newer zwave plugins? Im pretty confident this is a polling bug, but given the age of the post maybe its fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X