iphone ios client still hangs for 15-20 seconds when re-entering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iphone ios client still hangs for 15-20 seconds when re-entering

Is anyone else still having issues with the iphone client where after exiting the client, then going back in, it hangs on changing a device for maybe 15 seconds? I still have this issue, (including multiple devices, clean install of client and default project). I'm almost at the point where I'm considering trying a clean new install of HS3 on my server to see if there's something causing it from that end. Though I'm not looking forward to it if that's the case, as I've got a lot of time invested in my current instance....

I'm finding issues only after updating from 3.0.0.318 ---> 3.0.0.368
    May not be related to touch but -

The last time I tried to update I was having touch issues. This time it is different because I no longer am trying to make the same plugin work. But am noticing that Z-Wave devices are not reflecting their correct status in Touch. Need to check & see if this is the same in the main interface. Until now (Last 5 days) all was going pretty good on .318 and may move back to it again.
    I tried what you stated - change a device via touch, then go back to touch and do it again - it seems to be good with no delay.

Comment

Hmmm.... I've been assuming it's a client issue (ios client), since the devices work when I first open the client, but then if I go away, and come right back to it, I get the delay. But perhaps I should take a closer look at my server and hstouch server levels.....

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        Hmmm.... I've been assuming it's a client issue (ios client), since the devices work when I first open the client, but then if I go away, and come right back to it, I get the delay. But perhaps I should take a closer look at my server and hstouch server levels.....
        When you say "go away" - are you switching to another app? You leave it run in the background, correct? Mine always pauses anytime its been in the background - it will briefly say "connecting" at the bottom. As info, I have background app refresh turned off.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3721.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1192784

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
          When you say "go away" - are you switching to another app? You leave it run in the background, correct? Mine always pauses anytime its been in the background - it will briefly say "connecting" at the bottom. As info, I have background app refresh turned off.
          That's correct. I'll hit the home button to (at a minimum) go back to the home screen, possibly open another app or several, and then re-enter hs3touch, without having killed the app. I will indeed get the brief "connecting..." message when I go back in, which is perfectly ok with me. But then after that finishes, if I try to change a device right away, it hangs for maybe 15 seconds prior to continuing on.

I just checked, it appears I do have background app refresh set to On. I'll try turning it off and see what happens...

Paul

Comment

Looks like it didn't make a difference. So to be specific, here's what I can do the replicate the problem:

- start HS3touch
            - drill down to a device (ie. Office light).
            - turn light on/off. immediate response.
            - press the home button
            - wait a few seconds, go back into HS3touch
            - wait for a moment as the "connecting..." comes and clears
            - try to change the device again. Nothing happens, hs3touch freezes
            - wait maybe 15 seconds
            - try to change the device again. This time immediate response

If I try to change changing the device every 5 seconds (instead of 15), the first couple of times I'll just get nothing, and the client continues to hang. This is with a clean install with default project of the latest hs3touch client.

Paul

Comment

That isn't what I am seeing. When I do the same steps as you, all is smooth with no delay.
              Seems like it might be a touch problem. Providing you can control the same things from the web browser with no issue.
              Can you try it with another device / android? I'm no expert - just a guy thinking here

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                Looks like it didn't make a difference. So to be specific, here's what I can do the replicate the problem:

- start HS3touch
                - drill down to a device (ie. Office light).
                - turn light on/off. immediate response.
                - press the home button
                - wait a few seconds, go back into HS3touch
                - wait for a moment as the "connecting..." comes and clears
                - try to change the device again. Nothing happens, hs3touch freezes
                - wait maybe 15 seconds
                - try to change the device again. This time immediate response

If I try to change changing the device every 5 seconds (instead of 15), the first couple of times I'll just get nothing, and the client continues to hang. This is with a clean install with default project of the latest hs3touch client.

Paul
                I have always kind of seen this behaviour, before HSTouch used to delay itself when it loaded to load all of your devices and their status's. This made the 'connecting...' part of the app quite slow (but when it did complete you had everything), so instead Rich put in a method to thread the connection and it is then done in the background so when you bring the app back up it is still in the background getting the device information hence the delays controlling the device happen until it has actually got the device status.

I think this is what happens anyway and I am not sure you can actually do anything about it unfortunately. You would like to think that it prioritised the devices on the screen that is currently loaded but I am not sure it actually does.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  That isn't what I am seeing. When I do the same steps as you, all is smooth with no delay.
                  Seems like it might be a touch problem. Providing you can control the same things from the web browser with no issue.
                  Can you try it with another device / android? I'm no expert - just a guy thinking here
                  Just tried with my wife's phone, same issue, though hers reponds a bit faster - main difference with her's after going back in, wait for connection to reestablish, then change device, client hangs. wait 5 seconds, still hangs, wait 5 seconds and try again, it work.

So delay isn't quite as long, but still fairly obvious. This was also just a quick test, I didnt' didn't do exhaustive testing.

Indeed, no issues with web UI. I don't have an android device to try with so I don't know if they will respond differently or not....

Comment

Ok, so I am not experiencing this in my world.

How about you document which IOS device, which version of IOS, HomeSeer, etc, so that we can attempt to reproduce.

Second, are you familiar with packet sniffers? It would be interesting to see the timing of the request/reply sequencing between the client and the server in terms the packets. I mean, if it takes 15 seconds, then something has to take a long time to process. OR, something has to time out before connectivity starts.

I presume that this is all local traffic on WIFI? Or cellular? Or, are you using myHS?

It would be helpful to get more information. I have plenty of devices to attempt to recreate.
                    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                      Ok, so I am not experiencing this in my world.

How about you document which IOS device, which version of IOS, HomeSeer, etc, so that we can attempt to reproduce.

Second, are you familiar with packet sniffers? It would be interesting to see the timing of the request/reply sequencing between the client and the server in terms the packets. I mean, if it takes 15 seconds, then something has to take a long time to process. OR, something has to time out before connectivity starts.

I presume that this is all local traffic on WIFI? Or cellular? Or, are you using myHS?

It would be helpful to get more information. I have plenty of devices to attempt to recreate.
                      For sure, I can give more info:
                      HS3 Pro - 3.0.0.357 Windows
                      Windows 10
                      Z-Wave 3.0.1.130
                      Homekit Bridge, JowiHue, Nest, Pushover and Sonos plugins.

I've had the issue on iOS 10 and 11, with two different iphone 7 pluses and one iPad Air, with both default and customized projects. Current primary testing device is iphone 7 plus ios11 with 3.0.0.40 (current) hs3touch client.

The issue for me has persisted for some time (like at least a year or two) on generally the currently updated HS3 and HS3Touch of the time.

The problem occurs whether I'm on local wifi or cellular (Using direct DNS as opposed to MyHS)

The only thing I haven't tried doing is installing a clean pristine HS3 to see if the issue goes away.

I think there's some merit to what mrhappy is suggesting - if I use the HSTouch client (rather than hs3touch), it does take much longer for the connection to complete, but as soon as the connection message goes away everything just works, unlike with hs3touch.

I've used packet sniffers before, though I'm not well versed in them. With a bit of quick direction provided to me on it I could certainly attempt one....
                      Last edited by paul; October 26, 2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Check your HS version - that doesn't seem correct. Current version is 3.0.0.368
                        But its crashing on me every 3 days. Moving back to stable .318

Comment

Absolutely correct - I made a typo - 357, not 57.... I’ve edited the original comment. This version has been very stable for me, my current issue not withstanding...

Comment

Working...
                          X