Short of a Hail Mary, try this -
    - Roll back to 3.0.0.45
    - Shut off the Hometroller
    - Shut off the alarm panel and disconnect the battery
    - Wait a couple of minutes
    - Install the battery
    - Turn on the alarm panel
    - Turn on the Hometroller

If the comms are not 100% correct, this might force both the alarm panel and HS3 to reset.

- Robert
    I went back to .45 but the only way for me to get the plugin to work was to delete all devices. Before I deleted them, I was getting this error.

So lets see if .45 maintains the statuses. If I remember correctly, that was the reason I upgraded to .46, because it didn't.

Jan-28 12:00:26 PM DSC Security ERROR Error in DeviceData Loop:Object reference not set to an instance of an object. :

Comment

Has there been any update? 46 is now showing as an update, and has moved out the beta section, but people above reported 46 was completely broken so not sure I understand that decision.

Comment

DSC and IT 100 - Is this it or are there better ways?

Hi all. I am about to install a DSC 1864.
        Is an IT-100 the best way to integrate and use "FREE" homeseer DSC or are there better ways to put it all together. And for the sake of a few $ for a plug in or buying a better interface, I'm all in. Just looking for the best and most reliable solution! Thanks all!
        Last edited by ; April 22, 2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
          Hi all. I am about to install a DSC 1864.
          Is an IT-100 the best way to integrate and use "FREE" homeseer DSC or are there better ways to put it all together. Ans for the sake of a few $ for a plug in or buying a better interface, I'm all in. Just looking for the best and most reliable solution! Thanks all!
          I would recommend this approach as the hardware is newer and the plugin is more up to date.
          http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1140
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

DCS IT-100 Connection to HS

I am brand new to HS and have some questions about DSC integration with the HS controller.

I have a HomeTroller S6 PRO which will ultimately be running in a brand new building - the building is only under construction now. I had the alarm installer hardwire the structure for a DSC 1832 PowerSeries panel and have purchased the DSC IT-100 module for integration with my HS controller.

My question is this: my alarm panel will be about 30' away from my HS controller, in a separate room. I know the IT-100 module has a RS-232 interface. How are people connecting this into their controller? Can I convert from RS-232 directly to CAT 5 and run it into my network switch?

Thanks for humoring the new guy... hopefully my questions will get a bit more intelligent as I learn more about the system!

Comment

Originally posted by juthale View Post
              I am brand new to HS and have some questions about DSC integration with the HS controller.

I have a HomeTroller S6 PRO which will ultimately be running in a brand new building - the building is only under construction now. I had the alarm installer hardwire the structure for a DSC 1832 PowerSeries panel and have purchased the DSC IT-100 module for integration with my HS controller.

My question is this: my alarm panel will be about 30' away from my HS controller, in a separate room. I know the IT-100 module has a RS-232 interface. How are people connecting this into their controller? Can I convert from RS-232 directly to CAT 5 and run it into my network switch?

Thanks for humoring the new guy... hopefully my questions will get a bit more intelligent as I learn more about the system!
              I believe some users are using a serial to IP converter like the Global Cache one.

Alternatively, you could use the EnvisaLink board instead of the IT-100, which is IP based. In this case you would need the EnvisaLink DSC plugin

Comment

You can use a serial to Ethernet converter which would plug into your network switch and show up as a virtual COM port on your HS server. However, 30' is within the serial distance limitations, so if you had a direct CAT5 cable between your DSC panel and your HS server you could wire it direct to the COM port of your S6. How many COM ports do you have on the S6?

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks guys, just the kind of expertise I was hoping to find!
                  Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  You can use a serial to Ethernet converter which would plug into your network switch and show up as a virtual COM port on your HS server. However, 30' is within the serial distance limitations, so if you had a direct CAT5 cable between your DSC panel and your HS server you could wire it direct to the COM port of your S6. How many COM ports do you have on the S6?l
                  There are 10 physical ports (8x USB and 2x serial) and 3 USBs are being used. The 30' estimate is "as the crow flies". It will be a longer run once I actually route it. Do you know what the length limits are for a serial run?

Originally posted by spud View Post
                  you could use the EnvisaLink board instead of the IT-100, which is IP based. In this case you would need the EnvisaLink DSC plugin
                  Really useful info, as I was not aware of the EnvisiaLink module. Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?

Thanks again for the answers!

Justin

Comment

I had an 1864 panel installed in my new home and purchased the Envisalink 3. Just this morning, I installed the Envisalink Plugin in trial mode and completed the setup. It was very very easy. Most of the time was spent walking around opening and closing zones so that I could label them correctly in HS3.

Comment

Thanks guys, just the kind of expertise I was hoping to find!
                      There are 10 physical ports (8x USB and 2x serial) and 3 USBs are being used. The 30' estimate is "as the crow flies". It will be a longer run once I actually route it. Do you know what the length limits are for a serial run?

Really useful info, as I was not aware of the EnvisiaLink module. Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?

Thanks again for the answers!

Justin
                      Hi Justin, officially I think it's 50', but I've seen much longer ones work and I've also seen shorter ones not work (typically due to electrical noise such as fluorescent ballasts, etc.).

I think there are 3 plugins available for the DSC panels:

- HomeSeer's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
                      - Blade's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
                      - spud's plugin that works with the EnvisaLink

I use HomeSeer's plugin and it's worked well over the years. It was "free" for me as I own the HS Pro license. If you don't have the Pro license and have to pay for a plugin license, I would buy Blade's for the IT1000 or spud's for the EnvisaLink. I've had my panel before the EnvisaLink was available, so don't know what additional benefits it provides. The IT100 and it's predecessor (PC5401 I believe) have been very reliable for me.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        there are 3 plugins available for the DSC panels:

- HomeSeer's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
                        - Blade's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
                        - spud's plugin that works with the EnvisaLink
                        Thanks again for great insight!

Our functionality needs are pretty straightforward, so I think the IT100 and HS plugin should do the job. Like you, I get the HS plugins for free. If this wasn't the case, and if I hadn't already purchased the IT100, perhaps I would explore other options. As it is, I think I will just figure out the best way to get the IT100 wired.

With a bit of research, it looks like I have a few options...
                        1. A long (50'+) serial run
                          • Makes the run with a shielded DB9/RS232 cable ($40)
                          • May be slow or unreliable, as this is the absolute max length
                          • Wires into a serial port on my controller (not ideal)

2. Use a serial extender
                          • Requires a RS232 serial extender ($60-$100)
                          • Makes the run over CAT5/6, which is cheap

3. Serial to Ethernet
                          • Requires a RS232 to TCP/IP adapter ($50-$100)
                          • Wires directly into my Ethernet switch (a good thing)

4. Serial to USB
                          • Requires a RS232 to USB adapter ($10)
                          • Makes the run over 50+ feet of USB cable with active repeater (less than $25)
                          • Wires into a serial port on my controller (OK)

Some are more clunky than others. I am inclined to go with #3, which seems like the cleanest way to proceed with the IT100 (convert RS232 from the IT100 directly to Ethernet at the DSC panel and connect with CAT5/6 directly into my network switch).

Has anyone taken this approach?

Comment

Why not buy the envisalink for the $90 and Spuds plug in instead? I have the PRO version but bought Spud's. If you search the forums, the including DSC version is actually recommended against...

Comment

Thanks again for great insight!

Our functionality needs are pretty straightforward, so I think the IT100 and HS plugin should do the job. Like you, I get the HS plugins for free. If this wasn't the case, and if I hadn't already purchased the IT100, perhaps I would explore other options. As it is, I think I will just figure out the best way to get the IT100 wired.

With a bit of research, it looks like I have a few options...
                            1. A long (50'+) serial run
                              • Makes the run with a shielded DB9/RS232 cable ($40)
                              • May be slow or unreliable, as this is the absolute max length

2. Use a serial extender
                              • Requires a RS232 serial extender ($60-$100)

3. Serial to Ethernet

4. Serial to USB
                              • Requires a RS232 to USB adapter ($10)
                              • Makes the run over 50+ feet of USB cable with active repeater (less than $25)
                              • Wires into a serial port on my controller (OK)

Some are more clunky than others. I am inclined to go with #3, which seems like the cleanest way to proceed with the IT100 (convert RS232 from the IT100 directly to Ethernet at the DSC panel and connect with CAT5/6 directly into my network switch).

That's basically what I do. I use a 4-port Quatech QSE-100 device server I bought for cheap on ebay. For option 1, there's a sub-option as well which is to wire direct using CAT5 cable and then use DB9 to Rj45 adapters which are only a few dollars each.

Cheers
                            Al

Comment

Where is your it100? The DSC specs along for quite long connections (100') on the keybus which is a simple 4 wire connection on cheap alarm cable. I run it to a little box with the it100 in and a short serial cable from that to my PC.
                              That said, given how poorly supported the official plugin is I would consider paying someone else for a better one but you run the risk of it becoming unsupported in future.
                              It is frankly shocking how poorly supported the official plugin is.

Comment

Why not buy the envisalink for the $90 and Spuds plug in instead?
                                I'm not opposed to it at all, but it will ultimately cost more than proceeding with the IT-100, so I'd need a better reason than just avoiding the hassle of converting the IT-100's serial port to IP.

If you search the forums, the including DSC version is actually recommended against...
                                This may be the case and I'd love to hear why. I'm asking for the reasons I should make the change.

Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?
                                Converting the connection so the IT-100 can connect directly to my network switch is not a problem. However, if there are meaningful functionality differences between the DSC and EnvisaLink modules & plugins, I would not hesitate to swap the IT-100 out for the EnvisaLink 3 module.

Thanks,

Justin

Comment

Working...
                                X