Homeseer as security system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer as security system

Hello all, I am finishing my new home and would like to do some automatization. The most important part of it must be the security system... reliable and flexible so triggers can be customized.

Its clear, from my point of view, that all technologies are converging into one system/controller that will control all the house, but apparently were not there yet, and the result is that still the security has to be apart and not completely integrated.

If I can get security to be centralized by Homeseer I think the 80 or the 90% will be controlled as lighting, AV and other are already managed by it.

So, there is a Plug In by Blade BLSecurity that is supposed convert Homeseer into a security system with great flexibility on the triggers. The question is if someone around here has experience with it, and furthermore if someone is running all their security through HS in a reliable way.

I will appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

Ramon.

I wouldn't use homeseer as the security system.
    Get a proper alarm system that can be interfaced with homeseer.

Comment

I would highly recommend getting one of the inexpensive systems like the DSC and use one of the DSC plugins to interface it to your HomeSeer PC. This way your security system doesn't go down during a power outage for example.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So, I guess what you're telling me is that HS (or others) are not there yet in terms of reliability in order to trust it as an alarm system.

I will then go the alarm route. Any recommendation? I want something reliable, wireless and with remote access through iOS or Android. I am going to check the DSC but if there is something else worth looking I will appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks.

Comment

HomeSeer is only as reliable as the hardware you have it running on but most of us do not have UPS's big enough to make the hardware last for extended periods of time AND act as a security system. This is why most users use a stand alone security system and use HomeSeer to automate the arming/disarming etc. HomeSeer offers iOS and Android touch screen interfaces via HSTouch so the combination of a security system and HomeSeer makes a really good combination. This combination allows you to do logic like, if the house is unoccupied for 30 minutes and I forgot to arm the system then arm it.

Comment

I think the term "security system" is not very specific and can mean a lot of different things. If you are at moderate to high risk of burglary then you should have a true security system that will call the police, etc. IMO it should be independent of Homeseer.

On the other hand, I think Homeseer can be an extremely effective burglary/crime deterrent. Cameras, lighting, motion sensors can all be controlled and monitored by Homeseer. So if you have Homeseer why not use it as a "security improvement". This is the way I use Homeseer.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Dont know what your budget looks like, but I like the Elk M1 series alarm panels. You can get an rs-232 interface to it and hook up Homeseer to work along with the alarm panel. I used to run separate wires to the various doors so the alarm system could use one and I could use one for Homeseer. But now, I just use the alarm panel and it tells me when a door was opened or closed. Plus, the wires I run to the doors are buffered by the alarm system, so static and lightening dont blow up my computer. I recently moved again, so I have to reinstall all of it, but that is what I did at the last house. It worked pretty well and saved other inputs to the computer for other things.
              A computer's attention span is as long
              as it's powercord.

Comment

Hey Scott, long time no see. Glad to see you back.

Comment

I used HS as a quasi-security system at our previous home, but like Rupp said, it's only as reliable as your hardware. I found that it was just a bit too unreliable for my taste - and we lived in a good neighborhood.

We just went through a major remodel on another home, which allowed me an opportunity to install a system that better suited our needs. I ended up going with the DSC 1832 and I am incredibly happy with it. It was a bit interesting to setup - the manual is more for the pros, but a little trial and error finally paid off.

I DO intend to connect this to HS - I just have not had time yet. I can report back as I work through that if you're interested in how it goes.

Bottom line - I'd definitely recommend going with an actual alarm system, but let HS monitor it as well. You'll just rest easier knowing you're not depending on Microsoft/Windows for your safety and security.

HTH,

Brian

Comment

My favourite is DSC. Great alarm system and the plug-in to HS works well. I use the integration to HS from a PIR perspective (lights on/off), turning off the house when the alarm is armed (and running random security lighting), turning stuff on when we disarm the house, and, of course, alarm alerting via email, SMS, voice calls etc.
                    Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Hey Scott, long time no see. Glad to see you back.
                      Thanks Rupp. Its nice to be missed.
                      A computer's attention span is as long
                      as it's powercord.

Comment

Originally posted by steve q View Post
                        i think the term "security system" is not very specific and can mean a lot of different things. If you are at moderate to high risk of burglary then you should have a true security system that will call the police, etc. Imo it should be independent of homeseer.

On the other hand, i think homeseer can be an extremely effective burglary/crime deterrent. Cameras, lighting, motion sensors can all be controlled and monitored by homeseer. So if you have homeseer why not use it as a "security improvement". This is the way i use homeseer.

Steve q
                        +1
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                          My favourite is DSC. Great alarm system and the plug-in to HS works well. I use the integration to HS from a PIR perspective (lights on/off), turning off the house when the alarm is armed (and running random security lighting), turning stuff on when we disarm the house, and, of course, alarm alerting via email, SMS, voice calls etc.
                          What is DSC? Sound like something I might be looking for. Thanks in advance for you time.
                          danielbo

Comment

Originally posted by danielbo View Post
                            What is DSC? Sound like something I might be looking for. Thanks in advance for you time.
                            Check them out here: http://www.dsc.com/

Basically one of the largest manufacturers of alarm systems.
                            Nicolai L

Comment

DSC is part of Tyco Industries; that said its a huge security company now. Many of my HAI OPII connected devices are DSC. While keeping the "life and saftey" stuff to the alarm panel I do monitor PIRs and stuff (garage door) with HS. That said the panel is very independant from HS and will function just fine without HS.

One recent endeavor was doing an eval (at work) of their newest card access system (many bells and whistles). Kind of doing a multiple site multiple card type plug n play thing. It worked fine. Tyco support was great and tech was very knowledgable. From what I learned I taught the facilites/HR folks in mini training sessions on the new application. Funny though wondering around one night (me programming the card access; locked myself into one part of the building that I couldn't get out; so I had to make some phone calls - old age I guess. Another city/campus also started to test Honeywell; except most of it was vaporware at the time.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X