Aeotech Multisensor 6 Gen5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeotech Multisensor 6 Gen5

I recently purchased one of these and I am experiencing a problem. The light level (Lux) is very low (about 1/10 of what it should be). For example, in a well lit room, it is sending out a value of 7 lux. I have a Aeotech Multisensor Gen 5 next to it and it is sending 103 lux which is about right. I talked to Aeotech tech support and they said that the 7 lux is probably correct "due to the very small hole in front of the light sensor". I would like to use the smaller Multisensor 6 instead of the much larger Multisensor Gen 5, but the low light reading is a show stopper for me. Has anyone else experienced a low light reading from this device?

I too have 1 out of 6 that has a low Lux value. I ended up just sticking that one in my basement.
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
      I too have 1 out of 6 that has a low Lux value. I ended up just sticking that one in my basement.
      How much off was the low one compared to the others? Did the others seem to have the correct level? I can still return this one to Amazon. Are you using the light levels in your tasks/scripts?
      I want to run a task like "If there is motion AND the light level is below a certain level, turn on a light". The 7 lux was useless.

Comment

The bad one always shows single digits, whether it's lights on or complete darkness.

For all my others the lights are based on motion and Lux levels. We hardly ever use a light switch. Whether the actual lux is correct or not I don't know but they are consistent. So it makes it easy to say 'If motion is set to on and lux is less than 30, turn light on'
        Bryan
        Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
        Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by jimbell View Post
          I recently purchased one of these and I am experiencing a problem. The light level (Lux) is very low (about 1/10 of what it should be). For example, in a well lit room, it is sending out a value of 7 lux. I have a Aeotech Multisensor Gen 5 next to it and it is sending 103 lux which is about right. I talked to Aeotech tech support and they said that the 7 lux is probably correct "due to the very small hole in front of the light sensor". I would like to use the smaller Multisensor 6 instead of the much larger Multisensor Gen 5, but the low light reading is a show stopper for me. Has anyone else experienced a low light reading from this device?
          So wait.... They told you it's misreading because they designed it wrong?

Do you get any kind of "scale" from completely dark to brightly lit that has any sort of consistancy? I am about to buy one of these and that just sounds like a stupid excuse they gave you. Granted, I have no intention of really using the light sensor, but I hate when a company gives you a reason like that. If the hole is too small to accurate measure the light, they should have made it bigger. This sounds like a form over function issue to me.

Comment

Mine is in a back hallway. No direct sun but this is as "bright" as mine ever shows:

Jul-17 6:32:40 PM
            Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 0 (Lux) Jul-17 5:33:40 PM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 2 (Lux) Jul-17 4:34:40 PM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 0 (Lux) Jul-17 3:35:40 PM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 9 (Lux) Jul-17 2:36:40 PM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 8 (Lux) Jul-17 11:39:40 AM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 9 (Lux) Jul-17 10:40:39 AM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 7 (Lux) Jul-17 9:41:39 AM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 5 (Lux) Jul-17 8:42:39 AM Z-Wave Device: Status Lux Luminance 86 Set to 3 (Lux)

Comment

More thoughts on the device

519zwave,
              It looks like your unit is reading about the same as mine. In my pretty well lit office (3 60 watts bulbs in a ceiling fixture), my reading was 7 lux. As I mentioned in the previous post, I have a gen5 sensor and it reads 103 lux.

A range of 0 to 7 is really too small to do much with if you are going to use the light level feature in your events. The range of 0 to 103 for the gen5 is much more realistic.
              I have the gen 5 currently in service and it is working just fine. However, the gen5 is much bigger (and uglier). If you look at the user manual for both units, they are almost the same. Same settings, etc. There is one big difference. The max lux level for the gen5 is 1000 lux. The max light level for the gen6 is 30,000 lux, which in my opinion, is not even possible. The lux level for outdoors in bright sunlight is somewhere around 3,000 lux. Neither unit specifies the accuracy of the light level.

Comment

519zwave,
                It looks like your unit is reading about the same as mine. In my pretty well lit office (3 60 watts bulbs in a ceiling fixture), my reading was 7 lux. As I mentioned in the previous post, I have a gen5 sensor and it reads 103 lux.

A range of 0 to 7 is really too small to do much with if you are going to use the light level feature in your events. The range of 0 to 103 for the gen5 is much more realistic.
                I have the gen 5 currently in service and it is working just fine. However, the gen5 is much bigger (and uglier). If you look at the user manual for both units, they are almost the same. Same settings, etc. There is one big difference. The max lux level for the gen5 is 1000 lux. The max light level for the gen6 is 30,000 lux, which in my opinion, is not even possible. The lux level for outdoors in bright sunlight is somewhere around 3,000 lux. Neither unit specifies the accuracy of the light level.

Is that 3,000 lux a measurement by the sensor or what you know the lux to be on a bright day? I'm curious if you've taken the sensor outside. If it still shows really low, I would see about having aeotec replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                  Is that 3,000 lux a measurement by the sensor or what you know the lux to be on a bright day? I'm curious if you've taken the sensor outside. If it still shows really low, I would see about having aeotec replace it.
                  I am just using my past experience to guess at that number. I returned the Gen6 unit back to Amazon because of the light issue so I cannot use it. I have a Everspring zwave light sensor mounted under the eve facing the back yard and the most that it has ever read in sunlight is 1900 lux.
                  I do have a lux meter here from my photography hobby and its reading is pretty consistent with the Gen5 readings.

By the way, the motion part of the Gen6 sensor works just fine. I just don't understand why they screwed up the light sensor. The size and shape of the Gen6 sensor is highly desirable for me, but the light level problem is a show-stopper.

Comment

I am just using my past experience to guess at that number. I returned the Gen6 unit back to Amazon because of the light issue so I cannot use it. I have a Everspring zwave light sensor mounted under the eve facing the back yard and the most that it has ever read in sunlight is 1900 lux.
                    I do have a lux meter here from my photography hobby and its reading is pretty consistent with the Gen5 readings.

By the way, the motion part of the Gen6 sensor works just fine. I just don't understand why they screwed up the light sensor. The size and shape of the Gen6 sensor is highly desirable for me, but the light level problem is a show-stopper.
                    Sucks you had to return it. I'm considering buying one but i don't need the light sensor. At the same time though, I have a hard time buying somethign that has a design flaw like that.

Comment

Just for reference...All Gen6

Outdoor under the eve is showing 1338 Lux right now, 10:26 am nice sunny day (89.6 F)

Kitchen, lot's of sunlight is reading 37 Lux (no lights on)
                      Living Room, not much sunlight in the morning is reading 17 Lux (no lights on)
                      Finished room in basement, no natural light, all LED ON is reading 12 Lux, Lights OFF is reading 0 Lux. Very repeatable too.

Note:
                      All sensors are USB powered and recessed in ceiling.
                      Last edited by TechHA; July 25, 2016, 09:23 AM.
                      Bryan

Comment

I've got a gen 6 in the garage on my workbench reading ~230lux with the lights on. Now the garage is very well lit (continuous row of 4', 4000 lumen fixtures at 8'). I'm about to move it to the front porch and will report back what levels I get out there. You can also calibrate the luminance measurement +/-1000lux via parameter 203.

OP - I'd say you got a lemon.

Comment

Working...
                        X