www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Security Systems Plug-ins > Security System Discussion

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

I have 1 iPad mini mounted on the wall. This is the primary alarm interface (as well as all other house controls) and includes status for all the door/window sensors, locks, alarm status, arm, disarm, and panic functions. Additionally, at each door I have an Insteon 6 button switch that controls the door light as well as buttons for Arm Away, Arm Stay, Panic, and All Lights on. Disarm is normally done when unlocking the door via the z-wave based Kwikset locks. If you can unlock the door, the alarm will disarm (for primary users). So, normally you don't have to work to the iPad to disarm on entry. Just for disarm from Arm Stay mode.
Old August 8th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Seer Master

That makes sense, and gives me things to think about. Many thanks!

Paul
Old August 12th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Seer

I love techie projects as much as the next guy, but when it comes to my security system I want rock-solid reliability. A DSC 64 zone panel is dirt cheap and works well with wired and wireless sensors.
Add an envisalink board and you have full HS3 integration.
Patching together a security system with a hodgepodge of general purpose devices (PCs, ipads, rpis, etc) is not a good idea IMHO. I use Insteon extensively in my home but there's no way I'm trusting it as an alarm system.
Cheers!