Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Fun" with Cloud-Manages Smart Hubs & Devices!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fun" with Cloud-Manages Smart Hubs & Devices!

We have samples of smart hubs around the office, just to keep in touch with what the other guys are doing. Got this email yesterday from one of these companies:

On Saturday, August 22, SmartThings will be performing server upgrades starting at 5 am ET. During this time, your Hub will remain online, but control of devices, automations, and notifications will not be available. The total duration of the downtime should last less than 30 minutes, and once the upgrade has completed, everything will resume normal operation.

We understand that you rely on SmartThings in your home. We do, too. Our engineering and operations teams strive to never have downtime and are implementing these changes to upgrade the SmartThings platform to provide for greater scalability and system reliability.

We will continue to monitor system performance and update the status page to keep everyone informed of changes to SmartThings availability. You can view and subscribe to platform availability updates at http://status.smartthings.com.

Thank you,
    The SmartThings team

This struck me as kind of odd. Would this be cool with you? Just wondering.
    Last edited by macromark; January 14, 2016, 04:02 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

At first I thought this was a joke, then I saw the notice on the actual website.

Definitely not cool!

I'm trying to imagine how many thousands of homes will simply cease functioning while they upgrade their infrastructure...

Comment

I would rather have a notification and scheduled downtime than random disconnections.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
        I would rather have a notification and scheduled downtime than random disconnections.
        No, you get those too... it's not and either/or situation.

Comment

I saw the emails as well as I have some Smartthings kit I used for research.

I wonder if this is an upgrade or a migration to Samsung infrastructure?

Comment

New SmartThings hub about to be released with local processing:

"With the new model, processing that was previously done in the SmartThings’ cloud can instead be handled locally. Circumventing the cloud is meant to result in a much faster response time and better reliability"

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...hub-september/

Another link with more info:

http://mashable.com/2015/01/05/samsung-smartthings-ces/

Comment

Here are the specs of the new hub (currently available for pre-order)

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/hubs/F-H-ETH-001

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                No, you get those too... it's not and either/or situation.
                This post pretty well sums it up:

"Agreed. The total lack of local processing is really starting to become an intolerable flaw."

With all of the processing for HomeSeer on a server at home, I don't have to count on anything but my hardware. I can choose to use the MyHS service for convenience, but I have the option of using my own fixed IP or DDNS service and the umbilical is completely cut.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  This post pretty well sums it up:

"Agreed. The total lack of local processing is really starting to become an intolerable flaw."

With all of the processing for HomeSeer on a server at home, I don't have to count on anything but my hardware. I can choose to use the MyHS service for convenience, but I have the option of using my own fixed IP or DDNS service and the umbilical is completely cut.
                  Even if the "local processing" issue is resolved, most of these new hubs are still web-centric and require a web connection to their central service to program the hub or to manually control devices...

Comment

I agree with the local processing comment. What is unfortunate is that these hubs are so closed. Many, such as the Wink hub, have really excellent hardware. It would be fantastic to have a HS driver to use the wink hub locally. Likely this will never happen. I tend to want everything to be able to interface with homeseer. For example, until it was shown to not actually work, I was interested in the wink propane level meter. While not perfect, many of these hubs can be interfaced to homeseer via IFTTT. Though that means setting each up with cloud access and really multiplying the overall complexity of the home automation system. At the moment because if IFTTT and the high excellent 3rd party plugins I'm pretty content with what it's possible to add to HS. I do wish that HSTouch was a lot better. Two wish list items for me are that an HSTouch container of some sort be defined so that plugin authors can define touch pages related to their plugin and they be automatically made part of the project when the plugin is configured. Second is I want HSTouch, when it is installed on a client to add devices to homeseer for the client to control or monitor the client. For example if it is on a phone their should be a HS device for the phone with location/ battery status. If it's a windows client the the ability to suspend, wol, shutdown, monitor battery, location, cpu...

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      :

+1

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                        I see what you did there...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          We have samples of smart hubs around the office, just to keep in touch with what the other guys are doing. Got this email yesterday from one of these companies:

On Saturday, August 22, SmartThings will be performing server upgrades starting at 5 am ET. During this time, your Hub will remain online, but control of devices, automations, and notifications will not be available. The total duration of the downtime should last less than 30 minutes, and once the upgrade has completed, everything will resume normal operation.

We understand that you rely on SmartThings in your home. We do, too. Our engineering and operations teams strive to never have downtime and are implementing these changes to upgrade the SmartThings platform to provide for greater scalability and system reliability.

We will continue to monitor system performance and update the status page to keep everyone informed of changes to SmartThings availability. You can view and subscribe to platform availability updates at http://status.smartthings.com.

Thank you,
                          The SmartThings team

This struck me as kind of odd. Would this be cool with you? Just wondering.
                          And is the reason I would never purchase solutions such as these.

RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                            I see what you did there...

+1 to that but also +1 to wanting local processing, this is what i look for in devices because i want them to work locally with remote options.
                            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Hope no one has a smarthings alarm clock
                              detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Working...
                              X