Russound CAA66 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russound CAA66 questions

We are looking to move and build a new house and I am planning on putting in a Russound CAA66 system with 6 zones and 6 sources. I plan to use KPL keypads.

I am still debating on whether to have someone pre-wire and rough-in the ceiling speakers for me or do it myself.

I will have an area in my mechanical room where all wiring will be run back to and the CAA66 controller installed. I assume that I would wire the CAA66 like this:

1 CAT5e from each keypad to the mechanical room location
    16/4 from each speaker location back to the mechanical room location

That is what it looks like to me. Please correct me if I am wrong. It looks like all keypads and speakers connect directly to the CAA66 controller. Is this correct?

If I wanted to run another 2 speakers off a zone how would that be done? For example, I may want to put a couple speakers in my master bathroom and run them off of the master bedroom zone. Can that be done easily?

Could I also have all 3 sets of bedroom speakers on one zone?

I will mainly use the system for music and HS announcements.

Maybe another system would be better. I would appreciate any feedback.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Your plan is correct for the most part. The CAT cables are punched to the keypads but terminate in RJS plugs at the amp. 14 or 16 AWG cable terminates at the amp. Anything larger probably won't fit into the blocks on the amp. you can run multiple sets of speakers per zone but you need to keep in mind that the CAA66 is a 20 watt per channel amp and may poop out if you try to havea Sabbath reunion or something like that. The CAV66 may be a better choice as it's 40 watts per channel. It might not matter though. Also keep in mind the series vs. parallel issues.

If you're moving to New England I will wire all of this for you! I look forward to new glory days of you having a Russound system in your hands so all of the remaining bugs can be ironed out without you having to shoot in the dark.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

You can be guaranteed that all bugs will be worked out much easier if I have the Russound system myself

I assume I could use another amp to power additional speakers on a single zone. Is that possible?
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

And just use the Russound system as a pre amp? I don't really know. A/V isn't my particular specialty, so hopefully someone else here can chime in.

Do you have a time frame on this project? I know building a house is a complicated process and moving alone takes about 6 months to really be completed. I just feel like a child ready to burst in anticipation of something like Christmas.

One more thing I forgot to add last time. There is a saying amongst a lot of the builders here. "Build a house, loose a spouse". Be careful!

Comment

My wife is all for the move.
          We met with the realtor yesterday about selling our house. We have started the process. Need to get the right price and the lot we want in order to make it worthwhile.
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Great! Good luck. If you have any questions regarding energy efficiency, HVAC, windows, insulation, and so on drop me a line.

Maybe in the meantime you'lla just happen to pick up a CAA66 to bench test..........

Comment

@Bob,

Here utilize two Russound CAA66's and KPL keypads.

Started endeavor initially using the Levition Digital Chopin stuff.

Initially ran cat5e to boxes in every room that has speakers. I also ran 16/4 to the rooms and box. There split the 16/4 to two 16/2 to the in wall speakers. Updating to the Russound stuff was easy.

It looks like all keypads and speakers connect directly to the CAA66 controller. Is this correct?

Yes. The KPL controllers via cat5e and there are little connectors for the speaker wires configured in 2 pairs for each zone. The Russound also does IR blasting from the KPLs or locallly to the box. I have mine mounted on a rack and haven't really looked at them in a while. They just work.

I also utilized outdoor Russound speakers for the deck. Mostly a real PITA to run the cabling and out to brick. I didn't want to install a KPL outside and put one in the house by the door to the deck.

If I wanted to run another 2 speakers off a zone how would that be done? For example, I may want to put a couple speakers in my master bathroom and run them off of the master bedroom zone. Can that be done easily?

We have a hallway between the master bedroom and bathroom (well also walk in closets). I put the KPL there with multiple purpose manual Russound in wall switch.

Takes care of both rooms (both on or one or the other on via one zone). I also have a media center in the room with it's own amp and 5.1 speakers. The switch takes the source of audio from the Russound to the media center. (kind of over did it a bit).

Could I also have all 3 sets of bedroom speakers on one zone?

You could. I didn't and the only dual sets of speakers I configured for one zone has been the master bath / bedroom.

First thing I did before automation was sound in current home. Thinking too I got a deal on new old stock KPLs purchasing them in bulk for less than $50 each.
              Last edited by Pete; October 1, 2015, 02:17 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post

I assume I could use another amp to power additional speakers on a single zone. Is that possible?
                Yes, two of the outputs can be set to line out. I use a Niles C5-A2 to run the Russound Channel 1 Line Out to another amp in the master bedroom with a Cat 5. Works great.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01281

On another channel, I split the speaker output using a A-B Switch (A, B or A+B), works fine.
                http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...&recordID=Wall Mounted Speaker/Amplifier Selectors&categoryID=Speaker Selectors&catcdID=7&prdcdID=FG00395

Thinking of also splitting another output and was looking at one of these so that I could automate:
                http://www.atonhome.com/dla2room.html

For Keypads, I use the KP6 keypads but switched one out with a KPL that I bought on e-bay. The KPL is cool but the KP6 are fine as well, especially since I do most of the control from HS Touch.

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=2731

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=2732

The keypads are wired with Cat 5 and I use Audio 14-4 for the speakers.

One feature of the keypads that I haven't figured out a use for is that each one has a built-in IR receiver with pass-through. Don't really need it but they must be good for something

Probably no need to use the built in CA66 built-in IR libraries as sources are set from BLRussound.

The CA66 tied to HS3, Squeezebox and BLRussound / BLSpeech is probably my favorite HS feature.

DSteiNeuro
                DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

@Bob, didn't you base your BLRussound stuff on your brother's Russound system?

The serial port on the Russound set up here goes to a mini serial splitter/server here such that control is via the Omni Pro II, Omnitouch screens, KPL's and Homeseer.

Mini serial splitter model number is SR-2 from Avocation systems.

I am still debating on whether to have someone pre-wire and rough-in the ceiling speakers for me or do it myself.

Here initially asked the contractor (1999) if he knew anything about prewiring audio (or any LV). I told him what needed to be done. He quote me a price during construction and I did get to see examples of his work and basically was not impressed relating to what I would get for the money (which wasn't much) so I did it myself. (ceiling and in wall speakers). This was though 1999 and contractor didn't have a clue about any LV type of wiring other than maybe a single room multiple speaker set up. The alarm prewiring was subcontracted out to an alarm company which knew exactly how to do the pre-wiring. Low on the WAF though was that I installed LV wiring rings and covers where the speakers were going to be rather than just take pictures of where the wires were. I did also do a few chases but wires are cheap and I was giving the opportunity to LV wire pre-finish of the home and took advantage of it. Not sure on the methodology of pricing today but I know it isn't cheap but may be a little bit less than HV wiring. You do not want to pay the contractor to learn how to do this.

Personally here have never integrated IR blasting with automation even though I have all of the hardware in place. Only real time I got in to it was tweaking my Tivo SA boxes IR stuff to manage my satellite receivers which worked just fine for me many years ago.
                  Last edited by Pete; October 2, 2015, 07:16 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yes my brother in law has a CAV66 system (he is in Spain right now) but I confirmed with him he has cat5 going to the keypads back to controller as well as speaker wire going from room to controller. He uses ABUS controllers for patio. I want to avoid that.

I need to be able to put multiple pairs of speakers on one zone (may need an extra amp for this - not sure) - I am sure the power output will decrease.
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

I have not had any problems splitting one zone to two pairs of in wall stereo speakers from the Russound CAA66.

Not sure what 3 pairs of speakers would do. Sounds fine when either pair or both pairs are playing back.

Thinking it is only 20 watts.

I do also still have in place an AB8SS (serial, X10 and IR interface) which is connected to Audiosource amp. (6 + 6 + 8).
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Has anyone used the Monoprice 6 zone system?

Wondering how it compares to the Russound CAA66 system
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

Has anyone used the Monoprice 6 zone system?

Wondering how it compares to the Russound CAA66 system

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so close to you getting a CAA66 and the bugs being ironed out that I could almost taste it!

That being said, I think that they are comparable systems in many regards. I think that the Monoprice system does have some quirks that you won't find in the Russound amp though. Things like settings betting wiped out with a power cycle and some others that I don't recall ATM. Maybe these things have been ironed out with recent FW revisions though. It most likely just isn't the same quality as the CAA66. I find the keypads and features to be of a higher caliber on the CAA66.

Comment

LOL... just looking at everything
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

Maybe another system would be better. I would appreciate any feedback.
                              I can't speak for any whole house audio system, for I've never had one, but I'm currently planning on getting the Leviton Hi-Fi 2 system after doing some research on both the Leviton, Russound, a couple others, for a few reasons:

-- I can start off with an 8 zone system and then buy an 8 zone expansion later on (which I'll need once we finish the basement).

-- Remote input modules (either 3.5mm stereo input or a combination of stereo and bluetooth) in each zone.

The second point is what I'm most interested in. I think I saw Russound also had a bluetooth component, but it looked like it only supported one connected device at time, whereas with the HiFi, you could have a bluetooth/stereo module in each room. Of if you had a device that did not have bluethooth (like a TV) you could plug it into the stereo input. If you did something like that, just be aware that the input keypad modules use their own ethernet cable, so you'd need to run two... one for the input module keypad and one for the volume/source keypad.

But other than that, I haven't found any comparison reviews of the systems on the internet and I don't know anyone that has either, so I haven't been able see or hear any of the systems in person. I kind of just have to go off specs at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X