Stopping Windows 10 Pro automatic restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would disagree. Just my opinion. Yours may differ:

Windows performing system maintenance and rebooting without care of what applications are running is not a HomeSeer Technologies issue. Back years ago I worked with the Windows product management and remember when they introduced the whole concept of Windows Update process. They should be ashamed that approximately 18 years later they do not have the capability to better handle this whole concept. Think of the amount of resource hours that are spent by corporations in patching their systems and all of the downstream issues that arise as part of this process. It is truly sad that a better process does not exist.

Second, running HomeSeer as a service is totally possible with potentially reduced functionality. This limited functionality is again an issue imposed by Microsoft and the design of their products. Keep in mind that some Windows technologies are not intended to run as part of background processes. How can HomeSeer Technologies manage this? Yeah, it be nice that a white paper exists with confirmed "pro's" and "con's" of operating in this mode. If others are willing to contribute, I am willing to help with my knowledge and help build such a document.

Now HomeSeer Technologies is responsible for maintaining their product with current information systems security practices (https/tls capable web server/security penetration testing of web server and myhs portal) along with application functionality issues that have been reported and confirmed. I would much rather that HST focuses on these items...
    Last edited by Krumpy; December 20, 2016, 09:06 PM.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by jumper4000 View Post
      In Microsoft's defense, this is something that HomeSeer needs to fix. It's a great idea that Microsoft forces users to keep their operating system up to date with all the patches and security updates. HomeSeer is the one that needs to come up with a way to start the application as a service, and have it respond gracefully to service shutdown requests by the operating system. We shouldn't have to come up with unsupported ways to stop Windows updates or to start HomeSeer automatically after a reboot.

I agree. HS needs to fix the issue of the last times, dates and status's for events not being automatically saved in the database prior to when HS is not gracefully shut down like when windows updates forces a random reboot. How hard is it to update the HS database every 3 6 12 or 24 hours to avoid issues like this?

Comment

Originally posted by scotchskip View Post
        I agree. HS needs to fix the issue of the last times, dates and status's for events not being automatically saved in the database prior to when HS is not gracefully shut down like when windows updates forces a random reboot. How hard is it to update the HS database every 3 6 12 or 24 hours to avoid issues like this?
        Changes are supposed to be written to the database pretty much immediately, but this does not always seem to happen. I used to have issues with events/devices not saving properly on my previous (XP) system. Since moving to a new W7 system a few months ago, I have not seen this issue at all, including after killing the power accidentally a couple of times. I used to think it was my HS database that had a bit of corruption, but since I'm still using the same db file, that does not appear to be the case. My best guess is that it was something wrong with the .net install. You can run a regular event that calls the immediate script command &hs.SaveEventsDevices as that forces a db write.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

What type of disk system are you using? If write caching without battery is enabled then this may be a potential issue as from HomeSeer's perspective it wrote the data which the operating system may still be storing in memory and not written to disk.

If this happens to be true, then HomeSeer has done its part. The OS or disk driver may still be storing in cache and not have written it to disk.

It may be worthy of disabling disk write caching (or caching altogether) to see if this changes things.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            Changes are supposed to be written to the database pretty much immediately, but this does not always seem to happen. I used to have issues with events/devices not saving properly on my previous (XP) system. Since moving to a new W7 system a few months ago, I have not seen this issue at all, including after killing the power accidentally a couple of times. I used to think it was my HS database that had a bit of corruption, but since I'm still using the same db file, that does not appear to be the case. My best guess is that it was something wrong with the .net install. You can run a regular event that calls the immediate script command &hs.SaveEventsDevices as that forces a db write.

Cheers
            Al
            I raised this issue with HS some time ago, when I was finding I lost changes to the database. I was told that changes are saved "periodically" and at the time of a graceful shutdown. So when HS crashes, I often lose changes.

Comment

This issue is why I abandoned Windows 10 and went back to 7. I just got tired of rebuilding corrupted stuff every month or so. Corruption did happen with Windows 7, but only once in many years.
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JimBob View Post
                I raised this issue with HS some time ago, when I was finding I lost changes to the database. I was told that changes are saved "periodically" and at the time of a graceful shutdown. So when HS crashes, I often lose changes.
                I would assume that this issue would be an easy fix for HS.

I cant imagine I'm the only user that has events getting out of synchronization because of database changes not being written as they occur when random update reboots are forced.

Comment

Sorry to necro-post here. But are people still having this issue with Windows 10? Mine restarts every so often, and I've tried the obvious stuff I've seen online.

I haven't tried stopping the process yet. Is that my best course of action???

Comment

I recently had a similar issue and with everyone's help managed to get around the windows 10 update re-boot.

I did 3 things in order to get it to work.

1. Go into netplwiz and uncheck the box that says user requires a password and then it will ask for the same password you would usually put in to login, so enter it there.
                    2. download this software to get HS3 to boot up after windows startup
                    http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/s...artup-delayer/
                    Add HS3 exe in the delayed section (Randy can help on this one)
                    3. Search for UAC (user account control settings) and put it on 'never notify'
                    They say it is safe as long as this computer is used just for HS3.

The computer should boot up from the beginning all the way through to HS3 opening and the device utility opening up in a browser.

If I have forgotten something or have something wrong maybe someone else can help out.

Comment

Setting your ethernet and/or wifi connection to metered will stop windows from automatically downloading updates. Therefore it won't boot since there will not be updates to install. This allows you to decide when to check for updates, when to download and when to apply.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-yo...in-windows-10/

Comment

The most recent Creator's Update for Win10 will let you "pause" updates for up to 35 days. No updates = no unplanned reboots.

I pause mine each month and then "unpause" on "Terrible Tuesday" (second Tuesday of each month when Micro$oft releases updates)

Check under Settings -> Updates and Security -> Advanced Settings -> Pause Updates
                        My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                          Setting your ethernet and/or wifi connection to metered will stop windows from automatically downloading updates. Therefore it won't boot since there will not be updates to install. This allows you to decide when to check for updates, when to download and when to apply.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-yo...in-windows-10/
                          I actually tried this and it still seemed to apply the updates. ..although I could have set it up wrong admittedly

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

So I think I've finally found success in this department

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185991

Seems to be working for me, and ticks all my required boxes.

Comment

Working...
                            X