Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this plugin support multiple thermostats on multiple serial ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this plugin support multiple thermostats on multiple serial ports?

Kind of a long story, but the short version is that I have several RCS serial thermostats, but they will each have their own serial port on the HS box. Will this plugin support this configuration? I looked at it briefly and it looks like it only has an option to select a single serial port.

Thanks,
    Brett

I think that would require multiple instances of the plugin running at the same time and there is no easy way that I know of to do that.

I'm not sure which thermostats you have but it seems like the better (and most cost effective solution) would be to use a single RS485 hub such as the 8AH485D - 8 Channel RS485 Star Hub and daisy chain the thermostats or replace the thermostats with ZWave thermostats (more expensive).

Comment

I've used that RS485 hub for years with zero problems - takes in comm from 3 zone controllers and 2 stand alone thermostats and sends it out on a single RS232 serial connection. The units are as much as 300 ft out from the hub. Be sure to have it and your RCS thermostats sitting behind good surge protection. I've been burned by failed components more than once, but none since having these units on APC back-up/surge protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsun View Post
        I've used that RS485 hub for years with zero problems - takes in comm from 3 zone controllers and 2 stand alone thermostats and sends it out on a single RS232 serial connection. The units are as much as 300 ft out from the hub. Be sure to have it and your RCS thermostats sitting behind good surge protection. I've been burned by failed components more than once, but none since having these units on APC back-up/surge protection.
        Dito... My guessing that I run two tstats and the RS485 hub for about 7 years without a problem.

Comment

I'm running 2 of them without the hub, using a USB RS485 to RS232 converter. One com port, 2 network addresses. It's working.

Comment

Working...
          X