how to monitor a sump pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to monitor a sump pump

I have two sump pump thy are 60 ft apart in a crawlspace there had to get to is there a device i can plug in to see when pump comes on in hs3

Comment

Take a look at this one. I have 2 of them tied to 1/2 hp motors and then work great.
      https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/col...pliances-zen15

Comment

These look interesting... are all monitor devices created in Homeseer? I see the review refer to Smartthings.. Can it do everything locally or does it need a cloud service?

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          These look interesting... are all monitor devices created in Homeseer? I see the review refer to Smartthings.. Can it do everything locally or does it need a cloud service?

Robert
          Yes it has 5 child devices under the root. Amps, Volts, Watts, kWh, On/Off

No cloud, they are direct to HS and z-wave plus.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
            Take a look at this one. I have 2 of them tied to 1/2 hp motors and then work great.
            https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/col...pliances-zen15
            Hi cowinger,
            can you have it just stay on ?

Comment

Originally posted by beau76 View Post
              Hi cowinger,
              can you have it just stay on ?
              Yes you can leave it on forever if you want. You can create an event to monitor amps or watts and alert you if it exceeds a certain amount. A way to know if something was going bad with the pump for instance. Are your pumps 120v because they don't work with 220v.

Comment

I have two sump pump thy are 60 ft apart in a crawlspace there had to get to is there a device i can plug in to see when pump comes on in hs3
                I used an aquarium float sensor connected via 2 wires to a door/window sensor. Every time the float sensor drops to dry, I know the sump pump ran.

I suppose you can run the 60 feet with telephone wire and mount the door/window sensor in a convent location.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQYXP0C/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMD2FA/
                Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                Number of Devices: 633
                Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

I'm more concerned when the pump doesn't run. I have a leak sensor located above the float. It actually worked when the pump failed. I installed a backup system when I replaced the pump, but still have the senor in place.

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,
                    what leak sensor do you use?

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
                    I'm more concerned when the pump doesn't run. I have a leak sensor located above the float. It actually worked when the pump failed. I installed a backup system when I replaced the pump, but still have the senor in place.

Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,
                      what leak sensor do you use?
                      Need to look to be sure, but I think it is an Aeotec like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3TJ3P4...a-335357014924

I needed a unit with a probe so I could mount the box above the sump pit.

Comment

While I like the z-wave switch linked in note 3 - and I'll likely get some of these as well, I've been using a very simple setup for monitoring my sump pump. Essentially, I've used a CR-magnet around the power cord of the pump connected to an opto-coupler connected to a ds10. So when the pump comes on, the CR-magnet detects the inductive field which the voltage is then sent to an opto-coupler which then changes this to a state of open or closed to the ds10. No other hardware is used. I tract the count of the number of cycles to a virtual device which I reset at midnight back to zero. I also track the number of minutes between cycles.
                        Should the water level rise because of pump failure, I have a float switch connected to a DS10 (love these little things...) and alert me by both a pushp and email message.

Both have worked reliably for about 10 years and the batteries in the ds10 last for years - another reason I like them.

Robert
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by langenet; April 19, 2018, 09:51 AM.
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

cheeryfool

Comment

hi cowinger,
                            yes there 120 volt what is your setup what kind of range do you get on z-wave
                            what are you using for z-wave interface ?
                            thanks beau

Comment

hi cowinger,
                              yes there 120 volt what is your setup what kind of range do you get on z-wave
                              what are you using for z-wave interface ?
                              thanks beau
                              I am about 45 ft away from a SmartStick+. I have 2 and they both control a 1/2 hp motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X