Virtual device to mimic a real device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual device to mimic a real device?

Is it possible to have a virtual device mimic a real one? Say a virtual device that mimics the temperature from a real one?

Reason is that i have many events that reads data from a temperature device, and when i change this device i have to change in all events, which takes a lot of time. But if i say have all those events read from a virtual device that mimics a real one, i could just change the what that virtual device should mimic, not all events...
    Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Originally posted by U5tabil View Post
    Is it possible to have a virtual device mimic a real one? Say a virtual device that mimics the temperature from a real one?

Reason is that i have many events that reads data from a temperature device, and when i change this device i have to change in all events, which takes a lot of time. But if i say have all those events read from a virtual device that mimics a real one, i could just change the what that virtual device should mimic, not all events...
    This is interesting... Can you share what is the circumstances that you may need to change the device in the future? Just the realization of the difficulty to maintain large number of events into the future? Testing new devices and not 100% committed to the ones you have yet?

Btw, i think the better term for 'mimic' in this case may be 'tracking status'.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
      This is interesting... Can you share what is the circumstances that you may need to change the device in the future? Just the realization of the difficulty to maintain large number of events into the future? Testing new devices and not 100% committed to the ones you have yet?

Btw, i think the better term for 'mimic' in this case may be 'tracking status'.
      Yes you could also call it "Tracking Status".

An example is this, where i overide my air condition unit to turn it to save mode or heating depending on the temperature from a sensor, not from the built in thermostat, since thermostats many times does not properly work. I then make many events to use the temperature from a sensor to say when it should do what. Problem is when chaning to a different sensor sometimes several places in 1 event since you have 1 event with different "IF", and you have to go into 20+ events and change the sensor. If i just could make the events from the ground to use a "virtual" device. then i could just change this in 1 event/setting if i have to change the sensor.

Same goes for events going on LUX or other statuses for that matter. I guess there could be many places this could be used.

Maybe there could be a way to make a plugin that could make these...

Comment

You could of course - however with devices being much more complex than they ever have been wonder if this really is worthwhile to duplicate them but instead handle your events differently. There is the replace device function (type /repl after your IP address) but I believe that it was untested and may not work fully - you could try this and see how you get on, it should replace the deference reference contained in your events with another new reference.

Comment

I think you should be able to create an event with a trigger that your master device "Has a value that just changed". The action would be to run an immediate script statement that sets the device value of the mirror device to be equal to the device value of the master device.

Something like:
          &hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(1234, hs.DeviceValueByRef(1200), True)
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            You could of course - however with devices being much more complex than they ever have been wonder if this really is worthwhile to duplicate them but instead handle your events differently. There is the replace device function (type /repl after your IP address) but I believe that it was untested and may not work fully - you could try this and see how you get on, it should replace the deference reference contained in your events with another new reference.
            Interesting. But then again it would change on the events that you don't want it to change if you still want to use the device.

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            I think you should be able to create an event with a trigger that your master device "Has a value that just changed". The action would be to run an immediate script statement that sets the device value of the mirror device to be equal to the device value of the master device.

Something like:
            &hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(1234, hs.DeviceValueByRef(1200), True)
            This sounds like a closer solution. But i have never scripted before. So not sure how i should proceed.

But also one can copy the child device to get all values, and then have the script run so that it keeps "updating". Then you would also save some time making the device with status images etc.

Comment

Working...
            X