Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Devices Information

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to learn more about virtual devices. I've been poking around this afternoon looking to educate myself on what they can do for me, and how to use them. The search seems to bring me to posters having specific issues with them, but knowing really nothing about them, I'm looking for more a beginners course on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I consider them at times to be storage for a value or status that you might want to compare in either a condition or a trigger for an event. People use them for a wide variety of things, I have virtual devices that store current scenes for rooms, my alarm clock time, whether the house is occupied, what the current energy use level is etc. So these are devices don't exist in the physical sense but can be used in other events to be used as a condition so my motion lights only work when the virtual device of the room scene is a value x/y/z etc. Absolutely limitless possibilities and situations you can use them for, some scripts also store data (things like weather) in these device strings.

Also think of HSTouch if you have bought it, if you need to get data into HSTouch that is not a physical device then often its a case of using a virtual device that you then status track in HSTouch.

Comment

In truth, all HS devices are virtual devices. They exist only in the virtual space of your HS database. Some of them, though, correspond to real physical devices like light switches or thermostats or door sensors. I tend to consider those devices as somehow 'real'.

Devices that have no corresponding physical entity - the ones that store a number for later use, or represent a state, such as day/night or home/away - are the ones I tend to refer to as 'virtual' devices.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
      X