Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Fun" with Cloud-Manages Smart Hubs & Devices!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More fun with Smart Hubs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomat...ing_up_lately/

Users must actually manually reboot their hubs to get them going again.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Nest Glitch Chills Customers

The Nest Thermostat is essentially another type of smart hub. This recent glitch caused problems for a number of users: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/fa...=fb-share&_r=1

Comment

I'm still missing why this data even needs to be on the cloud in the first place. Does it really permit the controller at the house to be more "light weight"? I mean -- if you look at the Zee2, it is an incredible device with fairly low specs, and doesn't require offloading anything to the cloud.

I still say that if HST were to work a bit on the UI (both web interface wise and mobile), improve documentation, and get rid of a bunch of bugs, they would crush everyone out there.

Comment

Mark,
          I would be careful here. While I personally would trust HomeSeer more than a NEST, HST products have had issues in recent times, AND I myself woke up with a cold house due to HomeSeer/UltraM1G plugin not properly tracking the ELK sending notices that there are TSTAT issues:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178170

The worst part is that nothing is being done about it and it is a ticking time bomb that could happen to anyone that uses these products. It is a simple code change to pass through the 0 degree value which would allow us to trap and trigger an event to alert.

Originally posted by macromark View Post
          The Nest Thermostat is essentially another type of smart hub. This recent glitch caused problems for a number of users: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/fa...=fb-share&_r=1
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
            I'm still missing why this data even needs to be on the cloud in the first place.
            I'm pretty sure it's a business model requirement. Aggregating and selling data collected from customers is the way these companies expect to make money.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
              Mark,
              I would be careful here. While I personally would trust HomeSeer more than a NEST, HST products have had issues in recent times...
              Krumpy - the point of the thread is to shed some light on the pitfalls of cloud-based automation, not to say we're perfect!

Comment

Interesting Reddit post from today: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomat...on_platform_is

Comment

Geez though cloud automation is a cheap way to introduce automation to the masses and win win for the telco providers; especially those tethered (sleeping with) their smart phone and now their smart watches.

I do recall an unusual and interesting to watch sight one day a year ago or so.

We had gone to a wedding on east coast and had rented a car for a few days and stopped for gas at one of those combo gas/ food / tourist places for a snack.

Sitting there watched a couple and specifically the guy turn on a cloud application his Android smart phone.

The phone told him to exercise (with voices). He started to do push ups on the tile floor of the restaurant area. He did cause a bit of a stir as many folks starting watching and his wife starting seemingly to telling him about his audience.

After a bit his wife walked away and wife and I just enjoyed the venue. Better than watching a movie.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm on the ST mailing list for notifications. It's good that they notify users about problems.. that's a plus. There's a lot of them though!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Google/Nest shuts down Revolv

If you have a Revolv "smart" hub, it's about to be totally bricked by Nest:
                      http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...devices-2016-4

Comment

SmartThings Developers Withdrawing Add-ons

According to this Reddit post, SmartThings developers are withdrawing their apps due to platform instability.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomat...n_open_revolt/

Comment

Lock OTA firmware Update Breaks Locks

FWIW, I've changed the title of this thread to specifically include "Cloud-Managed" smart hubs and also added "Devices".

Here's an example of a cloud-managed device (smart lock) that was bricked by a firmware update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomat...me_smartlocks/

Comment

More to come.

I placed three call center calls this morning.

One was to Samsung related to two RMA requests that were closed as completed.

Only issue is that while the RMA was closed the endeavor was never completed.

I was supposed to get one or two shipping labels and I guess the dual request confounded the database?

Well; can a database become confounded?

It's been two weeks now such that I had to call again today as the RMA's will be expiring soon.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              More to come.

I placed three call center calls this morning.

One was to Samsung related to two RMA requests that were closed as completed.

Only issue is that while the RMA was closed the endeavor was never completed.

I was supposed to get one or two shipping labels and I guess the dual request confounded the database?

Well; can a database become confounded?

It's been two weeks now such that I had to call again today as the RMA's will be expiring soon.
                              For what product?

Comment

Samsung Evo Micro SD cards

They fixed the issue and I got a pre done UPS label within 5 minutes of the phone call.

The microsd cards are locking themselves. One was the Homeseer Zee server twice now. I thought it was me at first.

Didn't know that they had a 10 year warranty. Excellent service this morning.

I had switched over to SanDisk.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X