Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Controller with Unsupported Openers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Controller with Unsupported Openers

I got the Linear GD00Z-4 working with my LiftMaster chain-drive opener which is officially unsupported by the GD00Z-4. Here's how:

My garage door opener has a wall-mount controller that shows time, temperature, light status and has a button to open/close the door. These models use some proprietary signaling to send an open/close command across the two wires to the opener. Simply closing this circuit does not send an open/close command which prevents the GD00Z-4 from working.

In my case, I had been using an Insteon momentary switch for many years by soldering into two points on the back of the PCB where the push-button connects. By doing this, the momentary output of the Insteon controller simulated me physically pushing the button on the console.

This all worked great until I tried to install the GD00Z-4... I thought it would just work but there's something about the GD00Z-4 that prevents the momentary closure from working.

The solution turned out to be a standard SPST 12v automotive relay and a 12v "wall wart" power supply. The GD00Z-4 just needs a middle man relay for some reason. I'm not sure what's going on inside the GD00Z-4 but this seems to work.

I'm not going to get into wiring schematics here unless someone asks. Just wanted to post up that it can be made to work.

I can't understand why you would need to install a relay, since the Linear has a relay built in. Voltage difference? Did you take a Multi-Meter to it?

Comment

Yeah it makes no sense to me but it was absolutely not working without the relay. I put the multimeter on resistance mode and it would beep momentarily when the unit flashed/beeped and went into open/close mode. I didn't check voltage.

Could be a voltage thing... not sure how many volts is going through the button on the Liftmaster controller. I would guess miniscule - it's a tiny little component. I'll check it sometime when I get bored Maybe it's just not enough to get through the Linear.

Maybe the Linear has a voltage min or max. No idea. This all worked fine with an Insteon momentary contact closure unit.

Comment

Its possible that the Linear is polarity sensitive, and might work differently if you swapped the wires.
        When I first hooked mine up, it opened/closed fine (its an older model where the main control is a simple closure) but the other buttons (lock and light) wouldn't work. I needed to clean up the wiring and when I hooked it up again, these controls were now working! Best guess is that I swapped the wires, and that the output loads the circuit differently depending on how its connected. (I wasn't curious enough to verify as had spent enough time on ladder at that point).

Comment

I did try reversing the wires but that was a no-go as well.

Comment

i did a similar thing except i used the onboard relay to trigger the remote.
            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
              i did a similar thing except i used the onboard relay to trigger the remote.

what onboard relay?

Comment

I have the GD00Z-4 also.

I have the Overhead Door Odyssey 1000 (Genie 7030)

The GD00Z when plugged into ports 3/4 (tried reversing to no avail) trips the Opener into shutdown for 10 min

The GD00Z outputs 1A/v I believe. The garage door opener in my case trips when receiving a voltage leading me to believe it just wants continuity.

I ordered a relay a back in December but just haven't gotten around to installing it. This thread makes me think I was on the right track. Will try and report.

Comment

Originally posted by smont View Post
                  I have the GD00Z-4 also.

I have the Overhead Door Odyssey 1000 (Genie 7030)

The GD00Z when plugged into ports 3/4 (tried reversing to no avail) trips the Opener into shutdown for 10 min

The GD00Z outputs 1A/v I believe. The garage door opener in my case trips when receiving a voltage leading me to believe it just wants continuity.

I ordered a relay a back in December but just haven't gotten around to installing it. This thread makes me think I was on the right track. Will try and report.
                  Have you gotten a chance to try this? I have an Odyssey 1000 and would very much like to make it work with a GD00Z-4.

Comment

Working...
                  X