• Time
  • Show
Clear All

$36 USB Sound Box

Thought some of you might be interested in this
    USB Sound Box

Joe
    HomeSeer Rocks!

They have had one like that on Ebay for quite some time. It looks pretty good.

John
    John

Comment

I use 3 of them.

I think they are great.

StevenE
      Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Cool, I've been looking for something cheap to use to seperate HomeSeer speach from my music, but am fresh out of PCI slots. This looks like a good solution!

Maybe I'll get two to add another music zone too.

Steve, I'm assuming you're using all three on the same PC and the PC doesn't mind having 3 identical sound devices installed.

jrfuda | My HomeSeer | HomeSeer Webring | My Profile
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

My understanding is that Windows will only support one USB audio device at a time.

Comment

Well,
            Not exactly I am using them on 3 different pc's I think
            they sound better than the built in sound cards.

If I have time tonight I will plug a second one into a PC
            and see if it works.

StevenE

Comment

Seems Good,

Well I popped a second one onto my windows 2000 machine.
              it found it loaded the drive and from control-panel -> sound
              I can choose usb audio or usb audio(1).

I can choose either 1 and play sound fine.
              Hope that helps.

StevenE

Comment

I'm glad to hear that. I was told by a manufacturer that it would not work but I never tested it.

Comment

OK, these just found their way onto my "to purchase" list. I didn't realize at first look that they had analog and digital outs. I'll be able to use my cheapo sound card for HomeSeer and two of these for music. Sweet!

jrfuda | My HomeSeer | HomeSeer Webring | My Profile
                  John
                  Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                  Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

JR

I was actually thinking of the same thing I wanted to use
                    2 or 3 of them with seeramp when it is a little more polished.

StevenE

Comment

Does it accept Toslink input or is it one way (output) only? Thanks

Comment

output only

Comment

if i were to put 4 of these ontot a computer what sort of load will it put on the system if they were all running at once?

what speed computer would i need as a media server?

detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting
                          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

How has the long term testing gone for these gadgets? Any problems using multiple units on the same computer? Any problems mixing these and regular PCI sound cards?

I think this might be the actual manufacturer and they have a good price of $29.99.
                            http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=13&pid=401

For basic analog audio in/out, they have this unit for only $19.99
                            http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=16&pid=572

Comment

Good Q Wayne, I've been postponing getting one of these myself. How much USB bandwidth do they consume? My server's USB andwidth is almost completely consumed by webcams currently, so adding one of these may "break the camel's back" if it's bandwidth intense.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X