Can't connect to hs3 on rp3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping someone can help with this. While away for a month, all my automation stuff with HS3 stopped. This happened once many months ago and it was simply that the RP3 needed a restart. On returning home and outside lights left on for a few weeks...I restarted the RP3. When it comes up you can ping the static IP address. However, there is no ability to connect to the HS3 web interface. And, of course, it is not registering with myhs.

What does one do next in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
    Martin

Can you ssh into it and confirm the HomeSeer service is running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

doesn't look like that works. If I use find.homeseer.com, it does find it, but no system link. Only maintenance. Attempting to connect to that link that uses port 911, no connection is made.

I suppose I'll have to attach to a monitor and keyboard tomorrow and try to see if anything appears on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by martinl78 View Post
        Hoping someone can help with this. While away for a month, all my automation stuff with HS3 stopped. This happened once many months ago and it was simply that the RP3 needed a restart. On returning home and outside lights left on for a few weeks...I restarted the RP3. When it comes up you can ping the static IP address. However, there is no ability to connect to the HS3 web interface. And, of course, it is not registering with myhs.

What does one do next in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
        Martin
        If you have a backup, restore it. If not did you take an image of the SD card. If so reimage your SD card. Sounds like the unscheduled shutdown has corrupted your settings

Comment

With a monitor and keyboard attached, I can login to the shell. On reboot it is saying that autostart_hs does not exist. However, I do find it. It may have some special characters in it because if I use cat to display it, it changes the screen into a funky character set which requires a restart. I did see that is seems to execute something called mono. If I manually try to execute that, it gives a segmentation fault. something likely is corrupt somewhere but not sure that it is really homeseer.

What would be a good way to copy/backup the homeseer folder at this point? To where? How?

Comment

If you cd into the Homeseer directory can you launch Homeseer using the ./go startup script

Comment

On a hunch would you check your drive space?

ls -al

Comment

the go script does not cause it to launch.

the df command shows that I've only used 16% of the available disk space. No other noted mounts are excessively used.

I suspect the thing to do might be to backup the homeseer folder to something else and use the recovery mode during boot perhaps to re-image it. Not sure what happened. The pi3 is connected to a UPS so it should not have experienced a power induced unexpected shutdown. Although, it has hung before a very long time ago. It has worked fine for months until this little 'setback'.

Should I be able to see a homeseer process running using the ps command?

Comment

What capacity SD card are you using. What flavour of HS3 are you using. Take an image of your current card.

I'd suggest doing a fresh install of Raspbian and HS3. Sounds like you're install is corrupted.

Comment

Agreed with @concordseer. I suspect your install is corrupt. Do you have a good backup you can recover to? Are you running HS3 for Linux standard, pro, or for RPI?
                    You could back the HomeSeer backup up to a separate drive and:
                    rebuild from scratch

or use the HS3 for RPI image you can download. And paste your backup over the install folder.( note re-write permissions after paste)

Last edited by Kerat; November 20, 2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I am using the standard image from homeseer on my RP3.

I have slept many times since my old linux/xenix days...to the tune of about 20 years..so I'm extremely rusty working with this.

I did log a help desk ticket, but have not heard back...yet.

Comment

Not getting anywhere fast.

HS support suggested that I do a new install on a new microSD. Then I could simply take the microSD card from the RP3 and place it into my windows machine and replace files...copying them from the old install which I would also be able to read. As expected, that is not the case. I can't even mount the microSD under Linux Mint. It doesn't recognize it.

From my ailing system, I was able to backup the homeseer folder structure using tar -cvf homeseer.tar /usr/local/HomeSeer while in the /tmp folder. I then used ftp to get the resulting file to another system. I can ftp that back to the RP3 HS install...and I can also access the extracted structure sitting on my Linux Mint machine using ftp.

Just when you think you're cooking with gas. I cannot, however, replace the database file as HS support said I would be able to do. It is locked down. I don't have rights as the homeseer user. chmod doesn't work either. the file is owned by root.

I asked HS support previously for the root password which they would not provide. Any words of wisdom? It seems ridiculous to have a public version of an OS, on my own equipment, but not have rights to it to be able to do conventional system backups or restores either of the entire OS or just a folder structure.

My hope is that I am missing something really obvious.

Sigh...

Comment

Raspbian OS doesn't generally have a root password. root access is granted via the sudo command. Try something simple like 'sudo ls -l'; it may prompt for a password depending on how its configured. If the command executes you have sudo privileges and you can perform commands as root by prefacing them with sudo.

Comment

I have kind of the same problem: When my Zee S2 restarts (every night), it will start all, and z-wave works and all - except NO web connection, or IP (ssh) either. Connected my Zee S2 to a monitor - nothing out of the ordinary. Seems to work. Then I noticed that everything works, until it connects to internet.... After that, no web server response. So I stoped my Zee S2 to be able to connect to Internet - now it has only intranet (local) access. Now I can access the web server on my Zee S2. However I have no idea WHY it fails after connection is established to internet (and I guess homeseer.com or so). I do know that I do not allow remote admin on my Zee S2. I would say that this is an issue on Homeseer central servers that knocks out my (and maybe others) Zee S2 (or pi based HS3 that is).

Comment

Working...
                            X