Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Node Number Re-Use

Let me explain what happened...

1. I initially had three HS-PA100+ added to my system as Nodes 2, 3 and 4. Node 1 was the ZEE controller.

2. Somewhere along the way I removed all of the nodes and then added them back in.

3. HomeSeer skipped Node 3 when I started to add them back in.

4. I now have Nodes 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 assigned to the five HS-PA100+. Node 6 is assigned to a Z-NET Z-WAVE Network Interface.

Questions:

1. Is there any problems with skipping a node address?

2. Can I re-address my existing nodes to "pack" them sequentially? Is this necessary?

There's no issue with the Z-Wave network skipping nodes and the unused nodes will be used if they are ever needed once you reach node 256 (if memory serves me correctly)
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for confirming.

Comment

ADH folks like me

Rupp,

Thanks for the answer. However for those of us who like things neat and tidy, I label mine and annotate them in HS3.

Is there a way to re-use nodes? Or do you have to be a super hacker to reuse nodes numbers .

Devoir

Comment

I believe skipped Z-Wave nodes get reused automatically, although I don't think it happens immediately. If I remove a device and reinstall it, the next empty node is assigned. But if I install another device at later date, it goes back and uses the skipped node number. The OCD in me would like to be able to control which node number is used for a specific device, but to my knowledge the node number isn't used directly for events or scripts.

Forrest

Comment

The Z-Wave controller will not reuse nodeIDs until they have wrapped from 232 back to 2. The primary controller is normally NodeID 1. Rest assured that the controller will reuse the empty slots when it needs them.

The more important thing is to make sure you don't have any dead nodes in the list. Do a full "Import Node Info from Controller" and if any new devices show up that don't actually exist, then you need to remove them. Click on the device, then the Z-Wave tab, then Test Connectivity. If the Test Connectivity fails, then click on Remove Bad Node.

Dead nodes in the controller wreaks havoc with the routing algorithms. While the network will eventually figure out that those dead nodes don't have any usable neighbors it can take days or even weeks. Whatever neighbor list the device had before it died remains in the controller forever and it occasionally will try to route thru it which obviously won't work since the node is dead. But you waste a second or so figuring that out which makes it seem like the entire network is really slow. So make sure your controller is clean.

Comment

Working...
            X