!!! JUNK !!! (***SOLVED***)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macromark View Post
    Mike - just noticed your signature. A lot of that stuff was "current" when I started with HS back in '04. Funny how fast things change.
    Yeah, well I was "current" a long time before '04.

I will note, though, that 'new' and 'old' do not always divide the same way as 'better' and 'worse', and while some things change very rapidly, much that is fundamentally important does not. Rich seems to get that, and HS is a much better product because of it.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

No the thread was started because I'm tired of 3+ years of HS3 issues when my HS2 system has been running on a dell server that randomly reboots and has never not started.. If you read the whole thread instead of jumping in when you think you know what's going on instead of thinking you know what's going on,,

If you can't help the issue ,, why comment at all !!!

I'm the starter of the thread and have no connection to Homeseer or anybody at Homeseer..

The newest issues are homeseer seems to be rebooting system only when I run HS3 does the system reboot.

Also when my IFTTT devices go offline for any reason HS3 decides to change the link to HS3 to some random device !! None of my other software packages that use IFTTT do this !!! So this issue means I can't use HS3 for my dozen or so IFTTT unless I want my LEEO or any other soundered , lights , plugs, etc etc..

Monk; Why don't you give me the address and password to your HS system so I can set your devices off or on randomly , better yet let me remote in and reboot your system, trash your DB etc!! Now let me do it for 3+ years !!!! You'll now get the reason for the thread !!!

Let's do a poll and see how many users are here that started with HS1 or the early day of HS2 ,, I think you'll find that only a handful of the early users are still here... Why do you think HS3 has falling off the top ten HA lists, Do you think it's because it's gone so far past the top ten list and that's why it's not on those lists any more ???

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      The whole thread designed to generate conversation - likely started by a HS shill. Participants have too much time on their hands.
      Last edited by dem5867; June 15, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
        No the thread was started because I'm tired of 3+ years of HS3 issues when my HS2 system has been running on a dell server that randomly reboots and has never not started.. If you read the whole thread instead of jumping in when you think you know what's going on instead of thinking you know what's going on,,

If you can't help the issue ,, why comment at all !!!

I'm the starter of the thread and have no connection to Homeseer or anybody at Homeseer..

The newest issues are homeseer seems to be rebooting system only when I run HS3 does the system reboot.

Also when my IFTTT devices go offline for any reason HS3 decides to change the link to HS3 to some random device !! None of my other software packages that use IFTTT do this !!! So this issue means I can't use HS3 for my dozen or so IFTTT unless I want my LEEO or any other soundered , lights , plugs, etc etc..

Monk; Why don't you give me the address and password to your HS system so I can set your devices off or on randomly , better yet let me remote in and reboot your system, trash your DB etc!! Now let me do it for 3+ years !!!! You'll now get the reason for the thread !!!

Let's do a poll and see how many users are here that started with HS1 or the early day of HS2 ,, I think you'll find that only a handful of the early users are still here... Why do you think HS3 has falling off the top ten HA lists, Do you think it's because it's gone so far past the top ten list and that's why it's not on those lists any more ???
        Started with HS2. And HS3 is for me much mure stable than the HS2 system.

---
        John

Comment

Follow your own advice. Read where I tried to rectify my post, and not fall into the flame that is now "!!! JUNK !!!"

Its not my nature to participate in the flaming of things. Now you use this as an opportunity to further flame.

You do understand that any post entitled !!! JUNK !!!, referring to a product that you cannot make work correctly, where thousands of others are fully able, doesn't appear to be asking for any sort of help, now does it?

Anger is good, to an extent - but giving up because someone won't take a serious look at a (probable) poorly written bug report is taking it a bit to far.

Comment

Let's do a poll and see how many users are here that started with HS1 or the early day of HS2 ,, I think you'll find that only a handful of the early users are still here...
            I started in the early days of HS2. I'm getting old. That may explain part of why the number of early HS users is dwindling.

There are certainly many areas where HS could be improved, and there are several threads complaining of one or another shortcoming, from the dated UI to the many perceived inconveniences of constructing events. On the other hand, for most of the experienced users on the Board, HS3 works reliably and has capabilities that are unmatched by any other home automation option. System instability is not a common complaint, and it seems reasonable to presume that when it occurs, it is not an inherent problem of the HS software.

As others have noted, the 'tone' of a post has an effect on the nature of the responses that it generates. Participants on this board typically go to great lengths to help one another solve problems - if they perceive a sincere desire to do so. Posts that are intended as vehicles to vent aren't as likely to get constructive responses. They are much more likely to raise the question, "Why don't you just use one of the alternatives that is better?" in the minds of the readers.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Comment

Just to chime in...
                I started with HS 1.3 in March of 2000 having used only a CP-290, ActiveHome and X10WC prior to that. I drift in and out of the forum only occasionally purely because I've only rarely needed support of any kind to get things up and running. Back in those days I was a security technician and had experienced my share of unintuitive systems. HS was not one of them. HS was by far the most advanced software available in its price range at the time and the support from other users was much as it is now extremely responsive, courteous and helpful. I have upgraded regularly throughout the years without ever having any major issues. While I do have a preference for HS2, HS3 hasn't been too difficult to get on stream with and I didn't experience any major issues other than retraining this old brain a little bit.
                I switched to HS3 shortly after moving to a home that sits on a "rural" power grid meaning outages are more frequent than they were in town and often lengthy. HS is running on a crappy old HP I liberated from somewhere or picked up at a Hamfest and hardly every squawked until I upgraded it to Win10. I have my HS PC on a UPS but haven't bothered to configure auto-shutdown in Windows or ESX so my outages are often lengthy enough to drop all of my server equipment in an unpleasant manner. My HS3 and asterisk systems are the only pieces in the house that haven't been virtualized and they probably see less of my time and attention with respect to backups. I would say that my HA environment would probably be a worst case scenario, old hardware, poor power, no backups, insufficient care and attention. Even with all that, after every outage HS3 comes up swinging. Something many of my free applications like NewzNab and sabNZBd cannot say.
                While the db corruption issue might be a significant issue for some users, that doesn't necessarily make it a major issue as it seems so many users aren't experiencing it at all even under similar circumstances to the OP. I completely understand the OP's frustration as we've all had things perform poorly. I think the majority of users here are happy and running systems that are mainly trouble-free.

Is it possible that your SSD might be good but the disk controller might be giving you some hassles? It certainly sounds like something is occurring during outages that is causing data to be written incorrectly somehow.

Comment

I started with HS1.6 in 2003. Went to HS2 and now HS3. I can do way more with HS3 than any others and since my last upgrade to .435, I have not rebooted. I did the upgrade almost 1 month before I headed out of the continent and now at 44 days it's memory consumption has been roughly fixed at 340mb. I have never seen this before even with HS2 and am extremely pleased with this system. My log is clean...

No complaints here!

Maybe a step back and evaluation of your entire environment is needed.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

My brother Gary (gprade) started with HS1 and joined this community in 2001. He was running HS2 when I decided to jump in in late 2013. He was very happy with his HS2 system and I was finally enticed to try it. I fiddled with a trial HS2 for 2 weeks, then tried HS3. HS3 was hands down the better choice for me, coupled with the fact that I suspected HS2 would reach the end of life soon. My brother switched to HS3 right around the same time as I did and is still running it.

Gary and I are both very happy with the software. Like a lot of HS2 users, he used a lot of scripts, so his transition to HS3 required a lot of effort. I decided to try to do as much as possible with events and to avoid scripts as much as possible. He just moved into a different house in a different city, but is bringing HS3 back up in the new location. My system has been bulletproof for all of 2018 and (despite the frequent update cycles) was very good in late 2014 through 2017. The only continuing issues were delays in Z-Wave response and Z-Wave errors, which were all resolved by the end of 2016.

I started with a Z-Troller and was fairly satisfied, considering these were all standard Z-Wave devices (not Z-Wave plus) and some of them (Linear) were really horrible. Switching to a Z-Net in 2015 was a big improvement but the Z-Net had disconnection issues which were all but eliminated by the 1.0.23 update in 2016.

If I look back at the arc of improvement since 2014 and it has been substantial. Now my biggest frustration is that I have run out of things to do with the system. For almost all of 2018, I haven't changed anything and the system has reliably chugged along. We replaced one dimmer earlier this year.

I have done a great deal to mitigate any problems that might be caused by power interruption. We just had a test last Monday. Our power was out for a couple of hours. My wife works at home every other week and this was the week. My computer, her computer all of my network devices are on UPS and we have a 20KW whole house generator. The only reason she knew we lost power is that her air conditioner stopped. Neither one of us lost Internet connectivity or had any other issues with the network. HomeSeer didn't skip a beat, except that all of our Hue lights went on to full brightness. I built a series of events to take care of that next time.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      .... Now my biggest frustration is that I have run out of things to do with the system. For almost all of 2018, I haven't changed anything and the system has reliably chugged along. We replaced one dimmer earlier this year.
                      This is where I am at. I; however, unlike others, do not use my system as dedicated but it does some... I still have switches to get back up and running, events to setup but all in all what I have now WORKS 100%...
                      I am pleased and soon, after my son graduates high school, can get back on track due to parties, plannings, events, etc.. to get HS back up and running how it used to be in HS2 which was intense.
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I used the term !!! JUNK !!!,,purposely , If you look over the last 3 years and more so recently have posted several issues many just needing a simple reply like "How does one know the version of firmware one is downloading to update the z-wave smartstick ??" , yet that question and many others have had zero replies and if one looks there are hundreds of other users the have been shunned by the community !!

!!! JUNK !!! happening to work as I expected ,, the bottomline is that Homeseer has sold this software as "USER SUPPORTED" ,, yet they don't even check to see if user issues are being solved which makes it non-supported. The help page on the main Homeseer WEB site sends one to a bugzilla system that I was told by Rich is no longer used.. It's one thing to have free software that is totally user supported it another to charge somebody for totally user support software !!! If you are going to was a support@homeseer ticket system it should clearly state so instead of sending one to a unused Bugzilla system..

As not many having the issue or other issues all one has to do is google there's hundreds of people that have had issues and just left without stating on this forum that they have left ,, that doesn't mean there isn't problems it just means they were sick of getting told there the only one with the issue or got 0 replies to there issue !! I once worked of a company the in a meeting stated "We have all done well putting out a lot of fires,, We've seen a huge drop I service issue calls.", they no longer exist,, Maybe they should have realised that there was a huge drop in sales calls !!

As I have stated many times in this post I think 3 years 2 completely different (3 in reality the 1st I only used a couple of days it was a new build corrupted the DB out of the blue,, thinking it was the computer I took it out of service only to let a freind use it for his Auto repair shop which uses a huge DB he has more power failures than I do and only once has he have an error and it ended up being a hard drive that crapped out without a power failure...

Small note I don't have that many power failures, maybe 2 a year {yet the few I do have, the reason I know I have a power failure is that HS3 defaults to the HOMESEER DB and when I try to load my latest DB it will not and loads the default which indicates to me that my DB is corrupted},, yet my HS2 system always restarts without issue ,, read above and you will find that that system is a problem sum Dell system.. What I do see glitches (short power brownouts , most likely caused be poor line switchover..) yet several of my systems seem not to be affected by them (My HS2 , HS3 and Music server seem to handle it well ,, the box I'm write this on and the main office computer restart on the smallest glitch most likely caused be power supplies that are real close to there limits because of the power be used my more items connected to them..

As I stated above Rich has done a mod to the writing of the DB and this has appeared to have solved that issue.. Now I have 2.5 new issues.. Does somebody know how I can add ""Sloved"" to the title ,, it appears this issue has been solved, yet know have new issues I've never seen before , one I'm thinking is a HUE problem {Surprize , surprize..} the other maybe 2 different problems or just 1 having 2 different symptoms I will start a new nicer post on them. The HUE issue could be a script logic issue ,, I seem to remember when I was searching this forum that others have reported a logic issue which seemed somewhat like the issue I'm presently having..

I don't think I'm asking for too much I just want the HS3 system to be as stable as my HS2 system ,, Presently my HS3 system isn't even close to running the items that the HS2 system is running so at one time Homeseer was based off a well tested and working DB base so one would think HS3s DB would be even better any less is stepping backwards..

I'm surprised that there only appears to be a handful of us that started in the days of HS1.xx or HS2.xx I was thinking there was a lot more of us.. P.S. I'm old to ,, started with a Plix chip & tw525, and writing my own HA program in QB , than VB !! I started pre-software in ~1978 with x10..

Somebody stated "They ran out of things to do with HA" , how can that be, even autos are coming WIFI and Cellular ,, with GPS tags one can see where there pets are.. Look at all the stuff coming out in WIFI.. I remember in the early days somebody across the pond had sensed if the toilet seat was down..

Comment

I'm surprised that there only appears to be a handful of us that started in the days of HS1.xx or HS2.xx I was thinking there was a lot more of us..
                          Probably more than you think

I don't tend to join in to these conversations, however just for the record I have never had a DB issue in HS3 since I upgraded from HS2. Whilst we rarely have power cuts in London, there are occasional dips in supply but they are all suppressed by my UPS supporting my HS2 & HS3 servers.
                          Jon

Comment

I've been here on the forum since the Homeseer 1 days and Homeseer 3 is doing fine here.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

.....Does somebody know how I can add ""Sloved"" to the title ,, it appears this issue has been solved...
                              Normally you would have to edit your first post in "advanced" mode to do this. I'll add it for you.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

KEWARE!

I'm surprised that there only appears to be a handful of us that started in the days of HS1.xx or HS2.xx I was thinking there was a lot more of us..

Probably more than you think

I don't tend to join in to these conversations, however just for the record I have never had a DB issue in HS3 since I upgraded from HS2. Whilst we rarely have power cuts in London, there are occasional dips in supply but they are all suppressed by my UPS supporting my HS2 & HS3 servers.

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X