Usb extension for UZB1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usb extension for UZB1

I have a new Zooz Zwave light switch that I've installed in a room 100 ft away from my HS3 PC running the UZB1 ZWave controller. Can someone recommend a reliable active USB extension cable (50+ ft) that I can use to add this switch to my system? Using Ztool+, it doesn't even respond from that distance. If there are other recommendation of getting this switch added other than the usb extension cable, let me know as well. Don't really have the option of moving the whole PC.

Thanks,

-Devon

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
    I have a new Zooz Zwave light switch that I've installed in a room 100 ft away from my HS3 PC running the UZB1 ZWave controller. Can someone recommend a reliable active USB extension cable (50+ ft) that I can use to add this switch to my system? Using Ztool+, it doesn't even respond from that distance. If there are other recommendation of getting this switch added other than the usb extension cable, let me know as well. Don't really have the option of moving the whole PC.

Thanks,

-Devon
    For that distance you should buy or build a Z-Net. If you have the parts we have instructions. If you don't have the parts then it's easier/cheaper to just buy a Z-Net from Homeseer.

Alternative would be another PC you can move.

OR.... I would do this but others may not think it's "safe"

You could un-wire it from the wall and make a "bench test" setup that you could then plugin next to your computer. Easy enough and safe enough as long as you respect the electricity and have basic knowledge of what NOT to touch when the power is on.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
      For that distance you should buy or build a Z-Net. If you have the parts we have instructions. If you don't have the parts then it's easier/cheaper to just buy a Z-Net from Homeseer.

Alternative would be another PC you can move.

OR.... I would do this but others may not think it's "safe"

You could un-wire it from the wall and make a "bench test" setup that you could then plugin next to your computer. Easy enough and safe enough as long as you respect the electricity and have basic knowledge of what NOT to touch when the power is on.
      Hmm, didn't know we could build one. I already have a RPi 2, what else is needed and steps?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmm, didn't know we could build one. I already have a RPi 2, what else is needed and steps?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
        Here's one thread on it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176229
        I or someone should do a write up for it.... hmmm..... maybe...

There are many threads on it. Search and then do a google search against the forum and you'll find several.

If you have an RPI and a spare z-wave usb stick then you're all set. The spare usb stick is sometimes the question (I have a few )

The Z-Net is higher quality using the onboard z-wave daughter card...great range... but the usb stick works too....

Install current Raspbian
        Install ser2net
        add one line to ser2net.conf
        start ser2net
        from HS3 add it as a Ethernet controller

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
          Here's one thread on it.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176229
          I or someone should do a write up for it.... hmmm..... maybe...

There are many threads on it. Search and then do a google search against the forum and you'll find several.

If you have an RPI and a spare z-wave usb stick then you're all set. The spare usb stick is sometimes the question (I have a few )

The Z-Net is higher quality using the onboard z-wave daughter card...great range... but the usb stick works too....

Install current Raspbian
          Install ser2net
          add one line to ser2net.conf
          start ser2net
          from HS3 add it as a Ethernet controller
          Great, one question, if I'm going to continue to use my UZB1 on the Pi, would have to change my Zwave Network? Wouldn't it stay the same?

Comment

You can transfer your currently ZWave network to the new one or just add another network and use both of the ZWave networks with Homeseer.

Here put mine in the attic (gets hot up there) a few years back and it covers the house well from there. It is POE powered and connected to the main network.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Great, one question, if I'm going to continue to use my UZB1 on the Pi, would have to change my Zwave Network? Wouldn't it stay the same?
              If you use the same UZB1 that is already configured with HomeSeer it "should" just work as long as you don't "delete" the network and you just reconfigure the controller to be ethernet instead of serial.

But I have never done this as I have multiple as do many others so YMMV.

Comment

So I installed my UZB1 controller on a Raspberry Pi model B+ with Raspbian Stretch and ser2net 3.5 (from source). Added the line 'start ser2net' to /etc/ser2net.conf. Got the following when tried to enable the controller in HS. What config/steps am I missing? How do I actually start ser2net and set the port for the UZB1?

Code:
                Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	The Interface failed the initialization: Failed to connect to interface at 192.168.0.7
                Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	UZB1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	UZB1: Failed to connect to interface at 192.168.0.7
                Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	UZB1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Jul-23 7:12:51 PM	 	Z-Wave Warning	UZB1: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.7 port: 23, Ex=No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.0.7:23

Comment

I think I got a bit closer. Ser2net is running, but some reason it can't find the UZB1. I now have the following in /etc/ser2net.conf.

3333:raw:0:/dev/ttyACM0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

But when running netstat -antp, I don't see it listening on port 3333. How do I find the exact device for the UZB1? Dmesg lists the following when I plug it in.

[ 79.082877] usb 1-1.5: new full-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
                  [ 79.182903] usb 1-1.5: device descriptor read/64, error -32
                  [ 79.402868] usb 1-1.5: device descriptor read/64, error -32
                  [ 79.622879] usb 1-1.5: new full-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
                  [ 79.722876] usb 1-1.5: device descriptor read/64, error -32
                  [ 79.942905] usb 1-1.5: device descriptor read/64, error -32
                  [ 80.063138] usb 1-1-port5: attempt power cycle
                  [ 80.942904] usb 1-1.5: new full-speed USB device number 10 using dwc_otg
                  [ 80.977470] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=0658, idProduct=0200
                  [ 80.977493] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
                  [ 80.983394] cdc_acm 1-1.5:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Comment

Try statically assigning the USB port using a UDEV assignment.

Guessing you are running Stretch and have done the update / upgrade stuff eh?

Open another terminal session and run tail -f /var/log/kern.log

Assign a static USB port on Linux

How to bind USB device under a static name?

Fixed tty device assignments in Linux using udev
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Last line of your log shows that its is indeed /dev/ttyACM0 which is normal.

Here is recommended ser2net.conf
                      Code:
                      DEFAULT:kickolduser:true
                      2001:raw:120:/dev/ttyACM0:115200
                      Are you sure ser2net is running? Verify with ps -fwC ser2net

Comment

So I installed my UZB1 controller on a Raspberry Pi model B+ with Raspbian Stretch and ser2net 3.5 (from source). Added the line 'start ser2net' to /etc/ser2net.conf. Got the following when tried to enable the controller in HS. What config/steps am I missing? How do I actually start ser2net and set the port for the UZB1?

Code:
                        Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	The Interface failed the initialization: Failed to connect to interface at 192.168.0.7
                        Jul-23 7:13:01 PM	 	Z-Wave Error	UZB1: Failed to connect to interface at 192.168.0.7
                        Jul-23 7:12:51 PM	 	Z-Wave Warning	UZB1: Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.0.7 port: 23, Ex=No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.0.7:23
                        1. Why it trying to connect on port 23? That is the port for telnet?

Are you sure your UZB is at /dev/ACM0?

check what shows with the following

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

again with /dev/ttyUSB1 and also with /dev/ACM0

Code:
                        #2001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS
                        2001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSBZ1_0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT -XONXOFF -RTSCTS
                        There's the lines straight from my ser2net.conf file. Notice the first line is commented out because it was the original. I remapped /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyUSBZ1_0 to ensure it was static. This was done with a udev rule.

The first entry 2001 is the port that should be configured in HS3 for the controller.

Comment

Here is a setup to autorun as a service

file: /lib/systemd/system/ser2net.service
                          Code:
                          [Unit]
                          Description=Serial to Network Proxy
                          Documentation=https://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net/
                          After=network-online.target remote-fs.target
                          Before=multi-user.target

[Service]
                          Type=forking
                          Restart=no
                          User=root
                          ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ser2net -c /etc/ser2net.conf -P /run/ser2net.pid
                          PIDFile=/run/ser2net.pid

[Install]
                          WantedBy=multi-user.target
                          [Change the executable path if necessary -- if you installed from source in may be in /usr/local/sbin/. Locate it via 'which ser2net'].

Enable the service: sudo systemctl enable ser2net
                          Start the service: sudo systemctl start ser2net

Comment

Success!!!!

It seems that I was trying to run Ser2net from source while attempted to previously run from apt-get. I uninstalled (make uninstall), then reinstalled via apt-get. My /etc/ser2net.conf only contains the following. Upon reboot, everything connected.

2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyACM0:115200

HS was then able to connect via Ethernet Interface @ port 2001.

Now I have my poor man's Znet. At some point, I'll swap our the UZB1 for a RazBerry, but not sure what I'll gain.

Thanks All

Comment

Also the ser2net that is in the Raspbian apt repo works just fine also. Compiling from source wasn't necessary in this case. The apt package includes the needed systemd startup configuration.

Comment

Working...
                              X