Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I go about splitting my Zwave network ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I go about splitting my Zwave network ?

While trying to include a new device, I moved my Znet from downstairs to the first floor. I left it there in the belief that everything would still work. Later I was wondering why some lights did not come on like they should have done. Looking at my device list, they all had status unkown. I moved my Znet back downstairs, rebooted, and everything was working again.
    This leads me to believe that some problems I have expreienced lataly might be due to devices being out of reach. So the obvious solution is to split my network. Have one controller downstairs, maybe a zwave.me usb stick connected to my HS3 PC, and another one upstairs, with the Znet servicing the other part.
    How do I go about splitting the network ? Exclude nodes from one controller, then adding it to the other ? Which is a major pain due to having to redo a lot of events etc...
    Next question, should I have all upstairs devices on the upstairs controller, everything downstairs on the downstairs controllers ?

I certainly not as well versed as others on this forum. However, why don't you just add another z-net. It's just a radio and I assume HS3 would know there are two on the same network.

It seems that's what others with larger homes or separate buildings have done.

Comment

I didnt know that was possible. I assumed i had to split the network. If that is possible that would possibly solve a lot of problems without a lot of work... i like it

Comment

You can have multiple z-nets on the same network with one as the primary and the others as secondary controllers. Which is what I had running up until 6 months ago or so. I found that with enough devices it was just too hard to manage and optimize and I also had issues where strange z-wave problems or drops would occur. As several others had already done I went ahead and bought a 3rd z-net and split my system into 3 different z-wave networks. Pretty much splitting the house in 1/3's trying to have close to the same number of devices on each network. At first it seemed like a daunting task to move that many devices, but actually it wasn't that bad and I finished it all along with the events over the course of working on it for about a day and a half. I now have 30 to 40 devices on each network and I have to say it has been more stable than ever since doing the change. I would just remove the device from the original z-net add it to the new one and then change the event one device at a time.

I could have probably gotten by with just 2 z-nets, but since I already had one of them centrally located I decided to put one at each end of the house as well.

Jeff

Comment

I think I try with the secondary controller first, see how i get on. How do I add a secondary controller ? I have a spare Aeon Labs USB controller. This would have to replace my Znet first, as that is where my HS3 PC is. The then spare Znet I can place anywhere as that does not need to be attached to a PC.

Comment

I have only used two of the same type controller. First 2 Z-trollers and then now 3 Z-Nets. I'm not sure about doing it with mixed types of controllers and how that would work.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X