AAG Rain gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAG Rain gauge?

I just installed my AAG wind speed and direction thing... it looks like it works just fine. I also installed their rain gauge adapter into a RainWise bucket. I am unable to get readings into HS.

Here is a strange error I get:
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    1/30/2004 3:51:59 PM mcsTemperature Sensor 9A0000000540341D is known to Temp05 as type DS2423 R but known by mcsTemperature as type V

1/30/2004 3:51:59 PM mcsTemperature Sensor 11 9A0000000540341D DS2423 OK R reported by Temp05 has not yet been recorded by mcsTemperature
    </pre>

I beleive this is the my rain sensor as it is not referenced any place else and all my other sensor appear functional.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Do confirm that your device selection for this sensor is RainToday. There should be a second one also RainRate. Mine looks like the following int he ini file. Where the 7600000004E7B11D is the sensor ID, R suffix is RainToday, E suffix is RainRate. The second pair is the database with type 4 = RainToday, 5=RainRate and the names are the names of the database fields.

7600000004E7B11DR="`36,0,,1"
    7600000004E7B11DE="`38,0,,0"

`36="RAINTODAY,4,1"
    `38="RAINRATE,5,1"

A "V" type sensor is Voltage which is associated with DS2450 & DS2438. First try to make the proper type selection via the plugin. If you have no luck then you can try to edit the ini file. If you do not feed comfortable then send me the mcsTempeature.ini file.

Comment

I had to manually edit the INI file, things are showing up correctly, I am just not seeing anything for rain, I tipped the bucket a few times and still nothing. What does it take for a reading to go through?

I hate to think I connected it up wrong... it is mounted in a high place and I am a big 'ol chicken on the ladder.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Also now that I have the rain and wind gauges should I change some of the settings on the forcast pages relating to virtual devices? I am unsure as to how they relate.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Michael,

FWIW, I think you've broken something in the Rain Rate logic recently. I think you went over to trying to predict rain per day rather than rain per hour (which I think was more useful). Rain rate seems to quickly oscillate between 0 and a big (not quite beleivable) number like 5in.

I've been holding back from commenting as I wanted to get some firm evidence, but this might be relevant to this thread.

All I can say is that right now it's bucketing it down with 0.75in so far today, but rate shows 0 most of the time then occasionally a number like 4.5.

If you don't think this is relevant, then please, just ignore me.

Duncan

Comment

Just yesterday we have over 20 hours of steady rain and I observed the rain rate on the Forecast page to show 1.5 in/day which was very consistent with the total rain and the steady upward trend on the rain for the day.

First look in the database for the values collected for rain today and rain rate for a time when you observed jumps in the rate. The rate algorightm is based upon a span of 3 samples.

Then take a look at the "history" key in the mcsTemperture.ini that shows the time and value of the last three samples plus the value at the start of the day at the time the rate jumps.

This should be the same info as in the database.

Let me know what you discover.

Comment

... I think my thread was robbed, I am still having issues and really do not know where else to look. I am not getting anything relating to rain from my Temp08.

Never mind my other questions..

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Those are strong words calling Duncan a thief

Are you getting rain data delivered from the Temp08 via the IO stream window? Does this data show the counts changing as you toggle the bucket or is the count always zero? Are you seeing the sensor on the Analog setup tab with the sensor type selection showing as RainToday?

Since the sensor was not automatically recognized by the plugin then a problem exists somewhere and we should be able to run it down.

Comment

I have done some extensive testing... here it what I found:
                  The sensor shows up in the DIS command, but not the TMP command.
                  I used AAG's test program and it worked perfectly. So I am thinking it is relating to my Temp08 interface. I have forwarded this off to Mitch to see if he can find anything.

Now if I can just fix these errors which I feel are not the temp08, then I should be set.

This is just getting frustrating as I have been up and down that stupid ladder 20+ times today...

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

I thought my input might be relevant to your problem, but rereading the whole thread I see it's not.

mcs : I've switched my issue to the problem reports thread.

Duncan

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duncan Ellison:
                      I thought my input might be relevant to your problem, but rereading the whole thread I see it's not.

mcs : I've switched my issue to the problem reports thread.

Duncan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No harm no foul, I was just giving you a hard time, and bumping my issue back up for resolution. It takes quite a bit to offend me...

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

It looks like this may be a Temp08 issue... I have an email thread going with Mitch right now to see if he can find anything.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Scott,

As you and I have discovered, there is a bug in TEMP08 that causes, in your case, the rain gauge to not be "read" during a poll cycle. What is happening is that the subroutine that fetches the second DS2423 device was failing, so any DS2423 device after the first one checked would be ignored. In your case, your rain guage followed the wind speed sensor in the sequence, so rain was being ignored. This bug has now been fixed and v1.04 will contain the fix. Updated s/w is available as usual from our ordering page.

In Scott's case, to read the rain he was able to delete the wind speed sensor and voila, the rain count shows up. This is not a practical, long-term, work-around, but can be used to confirm operation of a sensor if it is not showing up in the poll cycle.

Sorry, folks! And, thank you to Scott for providing me with the data to spot the bug.

Mitch

http://www.midondesign.com
                          http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

I just received and installed the latest Temp08 chip. This fixed my problem and things are working perfectly.

Thanks a million Mitch!

Thanks,

Scott

- I want sleep, and a large penguin.

Comment

i buy one TAI8575 Lacrosse Rain Gauge + 1-Wire counter kit from aag arrived 2004 september last weak.
                              This device working with DS9097U-S09 1-wire COM adapter and mcscs 1.20.x?

Comment

Working...
                              X