Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on events (all off & modes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on events (all off & modes)

Hey everyone,

I've been working on my HS3pro for about a month now on my HT and I can't seem to find the easiest way to do a few events that I could easily do with Wink but can't seem to figure out.

1. Easily turn off groups of lights (or technically groups of any devices
    - Example: PHLocation senses both users have left and I want to set the event to turn off all lights. Right now only way I can see to do this is JowiHue turning off groups of Hue lights but is there any way to say take all LIGHTING and set to off?

2. Toggling "modes" for things like "movie mode"
    - I want to turn off all lights and motion detectors and set the lights to a certain look for movies. Is there any way to "turn off events" and then "turn them back on"?
    - Is the best way to do a virtual device and have the event check to see if that virtual device is on before continuing?

Lastly, I've been trying to find a good thread with examples of everyones favorite event/automation but most of the stuff I'm finding is pretty date?

Thanks in advance everyone!

For #2, a common pattern would be exactly as you described, setup a virtual device (e.g. MovieMode) and have that as a condition on the events you want (either requiring it to be on in some cases, or conversely requiring it to be off)

For #1, the textbook answer is to setup device commands for all of the devices you want to control. Which can obviously be cumbersome, there are a few plugins that attempt to tackle this. I wrote one called Tags for pretty much this exact case, it allows you to quickly define group of devices (like all Kitchen Lights or all downstairs lights, etc) and control them as a group. Internally it just redirects the command to each device for you, but when you have hundreds of devices (or even dozens) I find it saves a lot of time (albeit, I may be biased ,))

Comment

Can you try out the Scenemaster plugin ===> you can try it for 30 days. Am sure you will find interesting and full of logic.

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

There is nothing "baked in" to HomeSeer to take care of these things, you need to construct Events based on your needs.

I make Events that control individual groups of lights, then for "All Off" type events, I have a master Event that calls the lighting group events. I do the same with power controls. The Easy Trigger plug-in has an Action "Set Group of Devices to Expression" which allows setting all devices in a pre-defined group to a value or expression.

We use multi-mode virtual devices to set lighting modes in our media room and living room. These have modes like "Movies", "TV" and "Housekeeping". Setting the virtual device controls the lighting scenes in that room through Events. These modes can be set manually by Z-Wave remotes or can be initiated through the activities on our Harmony remote controls.

Additionally, we have lighting controls based on "Day", "Twilight", "Night Awake", Night Asleep" and "Low Light". These modes are controlled by Easy Trigger schedules, a "Low Light" virtual device and a "House Asleep" virtual device. When a light is initially turned on, it is set to the level dictated by these parameters. Lighting levels will change as the house enters a new time, is put to sleep or if it becomes so overcast during the day as to require interior lighting. When we go to sleep, lights and selected power controls are turned Off. This is controlled by a remote at the bedside, turning the "House Asleep" virtual device On. We also have an "All On" event triggered by a panic button in the bedroom that will light the entire house, inside and out.

There is also a virtual device "Home", "Away" and "Vacation" which is used to control the automatic lighting and power. This virtual device looks to PHLocation for occupancy as well as to our security system to determine the mode. "Vacation" is entered or exited manually and sets the house to minimum power, heating to minimum, hot water heater off and a lighting animation to make the house appear occupied.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by willcurran View Post
          Hey everyone,

I've been working on my HS3pro for about a month now on my HT and I can't seem to find the easiest way to do a few events that I could easily do with Wink but can't seem to figure out.

1. Easily turn off groups of lights (or technically groups of any devices
          - Example: PHLocation senses both users have left and I want to set the event to turn off all lights. Right now only way I can see to do this is JowiHue turning off groups of Hue lights but is there any way to say take all LIGHTING and set to off?

2. Toggling "modes" for things like "movie mode"
          - I want to turn off all lights and motion detectors and set the lights to a certain look for movies. Is there any way to "turn off events" and then "turn them back on"?
          - Is the best way to do a virtual device and have the event check to see if that virtual device is on before continuing?

Lastly, I've been trying to find a good thread with examples of everyones favorite event/automation but most of the stuff I'm finding is pretty date?

Thanks in advance everyone!
          There is a zwave command that will turn all devices on/off which can be fine tuned using location 1 and 2.

I solve it the same way rprade does using events based on rooms. I then call all the room events using a global one.

It is worth noting that events can be enabled/disabled. I've included an example
          Attached Files
          HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
          Number of Devices: 1005
          Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Am not an advocate for Scenemaster but like the logic. I do have have different brands of devices : Lightwave (limited range), zwave and X10 ===> That's where it comes handy! It combines everything. Randy makes the most amazing events which can accomplish what the Scenemaster plugin can do but did you also notice the original poster mentioned he is not very good at events.
            Now on the softer side of things is Randy to point him to the links of his finest HOW TOs.

Eman.
            Last edited by Eman; May 11, 2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

+1 for Randy. He is the event MASTER! Find and read his posts on events. Has helped me directly several times. You may not be the most experienced with events but folks like Randy and others will gladly help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                Can you try out the Scenemaster plugin ===> you can try it for 30 days. Am sure you will find interesting and full of logic.
                Eman.
                FYI I posted a beta of the newest version today, the updater_override is in the post (in the SceneMaster forum) if you are interested in testing.

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
                  FYI I posted a beta of the newest version today, the updater_override is in the post (in the SceneMaster forum) if you are interested in testing.

Nice one man!,

I will have look and test it.

Thank you.

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
                    There is a zwave command that will turn all devices on/off which can be fine tuned using location 1 and 2.

I solve it the same way rprade does using events based on rooms. I then call all the room events using a global one.

It is worth noting that events can be enabled/disabled. I've included an example
                    Wow this is incredible. I wish I had z-wave switches/bulbs. All my fixtures are Hue/Caseta. I love that you can just send the "on" command to a whole location's worth of fixtures.

I'm playing around with everyone else's feedback. Super helpful everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by willcurran View Post
                      Wow this is incredible. I wish I had z-wave switches/bulbs. All my fixtures are Hue/Caseta. I love that you can just send the "on" command to a whole location's worth of fixtures.

I'm playing around with everyone else's feedback. Super helpful everyone!
                      Learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X