Filter Devices and features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter Devices and features

I am slowly migrating to HS3 and the new plugin. Got all devices imported.

I have now come to the realization that I would prefer to filter or not have the plugin import all devices. I played around with the filter feature but it did not appear to remove the checked devices that I had already removed. Can you please shed a light on how this is supposed to work or best practices to how one could not import all devices?

Second, is there a way that one can eliminate some of the extra buttons (such as bright/dim/fast on/fast off) from the web user interface? For some devices in terms of how I use them it does not make sense and want to selectively remove the extra unwanted buttons. I went in to the HS device and removed the extra buttons, but it appears that the plugin recreated them the next time I restarted HS3.

Thoughts?
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Hi Krumpy,

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
    I have now come to the realization that I would prefer to filter or not have the plugin import all devices. I played around with the filter feature but it did not appear to remove the checked devices that I had already removed. Can you please shed a light on how this is supposed to work or best practices to how one could not import all devices?
    Checking the hide box on the filter screen for a device will prevent the plug-in from creating a HS device for it. However it's a bit of a trade-off between general ease of use and ease of configuration.

My goal was to make the general first run be as easy and simple as possible. So the first time the plug-in starts, it creates HS devices for everything. To filter, you have check the hide box and manually remove the device from HS. Then the plug-in won't try to re-create the HS device on subsequent restarts.

I've also been very hesitant to have any cases where the plug-in automatically deletes HS devices. To me, it seems like the consequence of accidentally removing a device is worse than the extra hassle of manually having to remove it.

I know this isn't exactly intuitive so if you have any suggestions on improving it, let me know.

Second, is there a way that one can eliminate some of the extra buttons (such as bright/dim/fast on/fast off) from the web user interface? For some devices in terms of how I use them it does not make sense and want to selectively remove the extra unwanted buttons. I went in to the HS device and removed the extra buttons, but it appears that the plugin recreated them the next time I restarted HS3.
    Short answer is no, there's not any way to really change the device controls (well, I believe adding new controls or renaming some of them works).

But that's an interesting request. I've never looked at custom device configuration since the primary goal was to bridge between HS and ISY, it sounds like that's what you're asking for. My initial thoughts are that this seems like something that will be very complicated to add. So it may be a fun challenge
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Ok, I have coded up a custom config page for various device types with check boxes to remove various buttons. It seems to work.

The one downside is that I think by removing the buttons, I also remove the ability to access those controls via HSTouch.

However, it is still possible to access all the various actions as an event action.

Right now it works for all toggle, fast on, fast off, bright, and dim buttons. I'm not doing anything with thermostat or lock buttons.
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Awesome. Appreciate it. This will really cut down on the clutter... Would love to test it.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Adding that made it apparent that some of the code that does the HS device setup is really getting unmanageable so I'm currently trying to clean that up. Once that's finished, I'll push out a new release.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Hello. Any updates?

Comment

Still working on it. I haven't had much time in the past couple of weeks but should be able to wrap it up in a few more days.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
              X