Running Multiple HomeSeer Raspberry Pi Units in the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Multiple HomeSeer Raspberry Pi Units in the House

I been doing some testing here with HS3 Pro running on a Raspberry Pi3. I got to say that I am very impressed with the performance. Basically what I am doing is slowly decommissioning my old Mac server and running all my needed functions on multiple Raspberry Pis. This leads to HomeSeer running on a Raspberry Pi3.

I did the recommended install of using Jessie Lite and using Mono to install HS3 Pro on my Raspberry Pi3. It all works well and I am really pleased with the boot up performance. Since I received HS3 Pro, the only plugin I ever really dabbled with was Zwave. That's what I primarily use HomeSeer for Zwave and Alexa Integration. I'm thinking about maybe more plugins down the road. I know that there isn't a 5 plugin limit for HS3 Pro Linux like the Raspberry Pi Image. However, I have read that you really shouldn't go over 5 plugins, due to the limitations of the Raspberry Pi.

This leads me to a new question. Is it technically possible to add another HS3 Raspberry Pi and the two HS3 devices can "talk" to each other? I know that I would need another license and that is no problem for me. The RPI3 images are not too bad in price. My main objective would be for the second unit to see the first unit's zwave devices (or even virtual switches) and the plugins on the second unit can take advantage of the first devices.

Originally posted by panda2297 View Post
    I been doing some testing here with HS3 Pro running on a Raspberry Pi3. I got to say that I am very impressed with the performance. Basically what I am doing is slowly decommissioning my old Mac server and running all my needed functions on multiple Raspberry Pis. This leads to HomeSeer running on a Raspberry Pi3.

I did the recommended install of using Jessie Lite and using Mono to install HS3 Pro on my Raspberry Pi3. It all works well and I am really pleased with the boot up performance. Since I received HS3 Pro, the only plugin I ever really dabbled with was Zwave. That's what I primarily use HomeSeer for Zwave and Alexa Integration. I'm thinking about maybe more plugins down the road. I know that there isn't a 5 plugin limit for HS3 Pro Linux like the Raspberry Pi Image. However, I have read that you really shouldn't go over 5 plugins, due to the limitations of the Raspberry Pi.

This leads me to a new question. Is it technically possible to add another HS3 Raspberry Pi and the two HS3 devices can "talk" to each other? I know that I would need another license and that is no problem for me. The RPI3 images are not too bad in price. My main objective would be for the second unit to see the first unit's zwave devices (or even virtual switches) and the plugins on the second unit can take advantage of the first devices.

Bump

Comment

My main objective would be for the second unit to see the first unit's zwave devices (or even virtual switches) and the plugins on the second unit can take advantage of the first devices.
      I suppose I'm confused on this part of the question. Can you explain a little more? I'm not understanding the use/scenario here.

If however the question is can another rPi be used to extend the z-wave mesh to have more devices on another side of the house then the answer is yes. That's what z-net was made for or you can roll your own.

Comment

Try this:
        https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718

I believe it can link HS3s.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
          Try this:
          https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162718

I believe it can link HS3s.
          Ok simple answer. Yes it can be done. But I'm wondering on use case because doing a link connection for MOST situations is not needed and may be more work than necessary if not needed.

Comment

Working...
          X