This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAI / Amazon Echo integration

I was using the old Homeseer HAI plug-in but have moved to HS3. Just wanted to confirm that the new HAI plug-in works with Amazon Echo voice commands before I end up repurchasing the plug-in. Basically I want to be able to control my Z-Wave devices (lights, locks, thermostats, ...) connected to my HAI Omni by voice.

The HAI Plugin does not natively support Echo commands. You can, however, use HST or Thrag's Amazon Echo Plugin to control homeseer events that control your HAI lighting.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Yes, I do understand that your plug-in does not directly interface with an Echo, your plug-in provides connectivity between Homeseer and HAI Omni. I was looking for assurance that a device that is connected to the HAI system, is visible to Homeseer with the HAI plug-in, is controllable with an Echo. I do not want to trigger an event, I just want to say to Echo "Tell Homeseer to turn living room light on" and it will turn on the living room light controlled by the HAI box's Z-Wave.

Comment

I have an echo, but have not tested this at all. I'm inclined to say it *should* work since the HAI lighting device is inside HS. You can test it out during the trial.

I noticed you said you were coming from the HS2 plugin - the HS3 plugin only supports the ethernet version of the HAI panel, not the serial.

Comment

I have an OP2 that has been installed and running for about 11 years. I recently purchased an HS3 license and installed on a windows desktop for testing. I installed Rob's HAI plugin a few days ago.

So far, the plugin does not show me individual lights (units) or thermostats but does show zones, areas, outputs, temp/humidity sensors and buttons.

My amazon echo is linked to the HS3. The HomeSeer skill was just approved by amazon on Dec 9 and is not working very well. See this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178266

My main issue is that the echo almost always hears "tell homeseer" as "tell home seer" and does not recognize it. There are other issues as well, but HS promises a new version soon that works better.....the holdup is that amazon is slow to respond.

In any case, I'm sure it will all eventually work. For now, though, I am able to run buttons by going from the echo to IFTTT to HS3 and through the HAI plugin to the OP2.

As an example I have a button in OP2 called "floods" that toggles my outside flood lights on or off. That button appears in the HS3. I built a recipe in IFTTT that says if I say to the echo "trigger floods" it sends that to the HS3 and my floods turn on or off. It's kludgy, but until the plug-in is further advanced I can't issue commands directly to individual units, and until the HS3 echo skill is fixed I can't go directly from echo to HS3.

Was that convoluted enough?

Comment

As a side note, I wasn't aware of Thrag's plugin until reading this thread. I'm looking into it now. Thanks for the good work, Rob.

Comment

Have a look at Spud's Kinect / Alexa plugin and the Homeseer Echo plugin all working together. That'll work too relating to controlling the HAI panel via Rob's plugin.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yeah, I am WAY behind on Echo integration for my own home. I am, however, making huge headway on Thermostats, Units and Flags - check out the sneak peeks:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178398

Comment

Thanks for the preview. It looks like this will help with what I am trying to accomplish. When do you think it will be released?

My original Omni 2 did not have Ethernet, then I upgraded to a Omni Pro 2 with a Ethernet port a few years ago. The original HAI serial interface worked well through the Omni serial interface. I do not understand why Homeseer dropped support of the plug-in when they moved to version 3.

I did pick up a Wink with hopes to add it as a secondary controller and then tie that to Echo. I did get it to accept Echo commands but it has limitations on being a secondary controller.

Comment

Originally posted by phoek View Post
                    Thanks for the preview. It looks like this will help with what I am trying to accomplish. When do you think it will be released?

My original Omni 2 did not have Ethernet, then I upgraded to a Omni Pro 2 with a Ethernet port a few years ago. The original HAI serial interface worked well through the Omni serial interface. I do not understand why Homeseer dropped support of the plug-in when they moved to version 3.

I did pick up a Wink with hopes to add it as a secondary controller and then tie that to Echo. I did get it to accept Echo commands but it has limitations on being a secondary controller.
                    I would guess within the next few weeks barring any major hurdles.
                    Yeah, when HST announced they were dropping hai support, I needed a panel and Pete helped me get rolling on the plugin. I think it worked out for all involved.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking forward to HAI lighting control

Been using HAI for a good 15 years now just bought HomeSeer to control it, looking forward to the lighting control so my Echo will work with the lights. I have Echo being able to tell me the status of zones and of the security panel, but it will not arm the alarm with your plug in. Just want to know if i could be of any help with development or trouble shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by drmcp View Post
                        Been using HAI for a good 15 years now just bought HomeSeer to control it, looking forward to the lighting control so my Echo will work with the lights. I have Echo being able to tell me the status of zones and of the security panel, but it will not arm the alarm with your plug in. Just want to know if i could be of any help with development or trouble shooting.
                        Hi drmcp! Yeah, I do need to get my Echo going so I can test things like this. The only thing that comes to mind is to maybe try this: Setup an Event in HS to Arm your alarm. Then, see if the Echo can run that event. It's possible that setting a device's value might be tricky if there are multiple values.

Stay in touch on the board - I'll have an update in the next couple of weeks. The holidays hit me pretty hard

Comment

what fun!

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                          Hi drmcp! Yeah, I do need to get my Echo going so I can test things like this. The only thing that comes to mind is to maybe try this: Setup an Event in HS to Arm your alarm. Then, see if the Echo can run that event. It's possible that setting a device's value might be tricky if there are multiple values.

Stay in touch on the board - I'll have an update in the next couple of weeks. The holidays hit me pretty hard
                          yes! I made an event and told Alexa to run that event and it set the alarm away

Comment

3.0.1.12 released:
                            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=179038

Comment

Working...
                            X