Motion Controlled Lights Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Controlled Lights Issue

I have my kitchen lights activating with motion. Once the lights are on, it seems the motion sensor doesn't register any other motion. I can be walking in front of the sensor right as the 15 min off triggers, and the lights will go off. And, I don't know how long exactly it takes, but the lights will not come back on till I think another 15 mins elapses. Any ideas on what could be going on?
    Attached Files

Tome,

You don't say what motion device you are using, but all I have used come with their own "recovery time" setting which is likely adjustable. If they did not have this they would constantly chatter between Motion and No Motion.

So you need to check that and compare against your 15 minute delayed off commands. Most of the devices I have are in the 1-3 minute recovery range by default as I recall.

Hope that gives you a clue as to where to look for the issue.

Regards,
    Vector

Comment

I thought about that, but ruled it out because i couldn't believe the recovery would beany longer than 5mins.

they are:
      Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO)

I don't see any recovery time settings in Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
        I thought about that, but ruled it out because i couldn't believe the recovery would beany longer than 5mins.

they are:

Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO)

I don't see any recovery time settings in Homeseer.

I had the same problem with the ecolink sensor. In my hallway. My timer is set to turn off the lights after 2.5 minutes. A buddy of mine pointed out that they have jumpers that determine interval before the motion resets. If you pop open the motion sensor there is a jumper, set the jumper to "test". It will show motion anytime the view field is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also just look at that device in the Device Management view and see when it changes back to No Motion - Or yo can just look in the log and see the time between Motion and No Motion.

Regards,
          Vector

Comment

The ecolink unit defaults to a 3 min timeout from the factory. They do this on battery powered devices to save on the battery. The way you have your event set, you will have 18 minutes of no motion before the event will shut the light off.

As suggested above, open the unit and jumper the test pins. This changes the timeout from 3 min to 10 seconds. I have 3 running this way for at least a year and still am only down to 90 percent on my original batteries.

Comment

Ok, so this morning at 10:30 to 10:45 I was in the kitchen walking around when the lights went off. So that's 15 mins that the sensor never reset. I had the jumper on Pet1 which is for large pets. I assume it comes like that from the factory as I have small pets, and should have been set to Pet2. So i guess the sensor thought I was a large pet. I have it on Test right now, and i can say emphatically it will never turn the lights off when someone is in the kitchen as it resets every 30 seconds it looks like. I'm going to try it on Pet2 which is for small pets and see what it does. Note the documentation doesn't say when it resets if the jumpers are on Pet1, or pet2, only that it resets every 4 mins if no jumper is installed.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                Ok, so this morning at 10:30 to 10:45 I was in the kitchen walking around when the lights went off. So that's 15 mins that the sensor never reset. I had the jumper on Pet1 which is for large pets. I assume it comes like that from the factory as I have small pets, and should have been set to Pet2. So i guess the sensor thought I was a large pet. I have it on Test right now, and i can say emphatically it will never turn the lights off when someone is in the kitchen as it resets every 30 seconds it looks like. I'm going to try it on Pet2 which is for small pets and see what it does. Note the documentation doesn't say when it resets if the jumpers are on Pet1, or pet2, only that it resets every 4 mins if no jumper is installed.

Glad that got it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X