Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Hardware Configuration for new user

Hi,

I am looking to move to the HomeSeer platform and have many questions.

Reading through the website I see multiple possibilities. Having a limited budget I've narrowed it down to three.

1) Zee S2
    2) RaspPi 2 + Stick+ HS3 Pi-3
    3) Save for a refurb SEL

It seems 1 and 2 are about equal which gives the nod to the Zee S2.

I'm concerned the Zee S2 can only support 5 plugins. I can see the plugins I desire could easily exceed 5 (unless I misunderstand the limitations).

Also, I'm not sure of the limitations of HS3 Pi3 vs HS3. I'm assuming there is a difference as the HS3 costs more.

Currently I only have Z-wave devices. I see eventually I will have Wifi and maybe Zigbee. (but I'm trying to stay from Zigbee for now.)

Plugins I need or am considering:

Require immediately:
    • HomeSeer Z-Wave
    • ImperiHome
    • Log-Plugin
    • Do the below require plugins?
    • Have Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostat
    • Fibaro RGBW

future:
    • HomeSeer ADIO100
    • BL1Wire
    • UltraNetcam3
    • BLRFID
    • BLLock
    • BLSecurity
    • Vista Alarm

Any comments / corrections and insights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    John

If you have a PC you can load HS3 on that platform which removes the 5 plugin limit.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank Rupp, however I would prefer not to run a PC 24/7.

Also since my post I found the only difference (listed) between HS3 and HS3-Pi3 is the plug in limit and maybe I could update to HS3 on the Zee S2.

Comment

I would recommend a Windows machine if possible.

tenholde
        tenholde

Comment

@tenholde

Thanks for the input, however I'm not sure of your reasoning.

This will not be a hobby for me. My goal is to setup the system and let it run, maybe 3 to 6 months without touching it. I'm not sure a windows machine would do that.

Comment

There are too many plugins that will not run under Linux, although that is improving.

I also think there are many more people on these forums that can help you with windows config problems than linux.

tenholde
            tenholde

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum JohnRob.

Homeseer 3 Lite (Zee2) will only run in Linux.

Homeseer 3 standard or Pro will run in Linux and Windows.

Homeseer core is very light and does not need much to run.

Folks here run Windows HS3 on Atom based 2Gb computers and now the new iSeries Skylake computers with 4-16Gb of RAM.

They utilize XP, W7e, W7 32/64 bit, W8, W8.1, W10 32/64 bit.

With HS3 for Linux folks here run it on RPi's Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch and Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on Arm, Intel and AMD CPUs.

Typically whether you run Linux or Windows these days Homeseer 3 will continously run with very little interaction or hand holding.

Mobile remote control works fine with iOS and Android and iOS. Android / iOS / W10 tablets do fine.

Use embedded windows on my tabletop touchscreen tablets which use Atom based CPUs.

Run the Zee2 HS3 lite on an ARM Pine64 2Gb computer with Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and run

HS3 Pro on a Haswell iSeries 16 Gb machine with Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

On the same computer also run Oracle Virtual box with my HS SAPI voices.
              Last edited by Pete; December 20, 2017, 07:32 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Gow about Windows 7 embedded? I have a couple of machines I was using for a development project that are now spares....

Despite MS saying that anyhting that runs on Win7 will run on 7 embedded, I've already found that to be false. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure. THis link is to the specs for the model of machine I have sitting spare. I could of course just wipe it an install another OS.

http://www.nexcom.com/Products/indus...puter-nise-104

Do you think this would be a good HS machine?

Comment

The current Homeseer Hometroller is running on a Windows 7 embedded OS. Similiar bit to first generation Hometroller running on embedded XP.

It is really all about what works the best for you and your configuration of Homeseer 3. (number of plugins and scripts and variables configured)

It has been a few years back that there was a thread here relating to using the Atom D525 CPU for Homeseer 2.

Two endeavors were documented; one DIY modifications of a FoxConn special and the other one using a Shuttle Atom based computer for Homeseer 2.

80% or so were fine with their Atom based builds / Homeseer and around maybe 20% of the power users said it was too slow...

Today many folks are using a quad core Atom (Baytrail) with 2Gb of RAM running W10 and are happy campers.

You can also today utilize an Intel stick to run Homeseer 3. (System-on-chip used: Intel Core m5-6Y57, Intel Core m3-6Y30, Atom x5-Z8300, Atom Z3735F)

Do you think this would be a good HS machine?

Yes.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                  X