www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Audio / Video and Infra-red (IR) Plug-ins > Audio / Video and Infra-red (IR) Discussion > AirplaySpeak

AirplaySpeak This plug-in is a Speak Proxy which allows Homeseer to route annoucements to AirPlay capable devices such as an AirPort Express

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:21 AM
Seer Deluxe

List of compatible speakers

Does anyone have a list of compatible Airplay speakers that work with this Plug-in?

GearHouse Club Member
Intel Ci5 1.49 GHz / Win7 Pro 64 / 4G RAM
HSPRO v2.5.0.81 / Z-Troller / 30 Z-Wave devices
HSTouch / UltraWeatherBug / Insteon / ADIO-100 / EtherRain / SONOSCONTROLLER / UltraNetCam / BDGraphs / Pushover (3P) / EnvisaLink / AirPlay Speak
Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:03 PM

Good idea! Let's create a list of compatible devices (hardware and software) that I will try to keep up to date:
  • AppleTV
  • AirPort Express
  • Shairport4w
  • Kodi/XBMC
  • Pioneer Receiver VSX 1121, VSX 921
  • Pioneer A1 Wi-Fi Speaker
  • Denon AVR 2313
  • Yamaha V673 receiver
  • Phillips Airplay speakers
  • Raspberry Pi + RasPlex
  • Cydia's AirPlay Server
  • AirBubble
Note: most of AirPlay capable devices are compatible with this plugin, if you have one that is not listed here it's probably because nobody has tested it yet. If you successfully test one device that is not listed here, please report it in this thread and I will update the list. If you find one that is not compatible, please create a new thread describing the problem, and I will try to fix it.

Last edited by spud; March 26th, 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Seer Deluxe

I have a Denon 2313 unit which has AirPlay. AirPlaySpeak does work with this but the speech is somewhat slow. The Denon responds to AirPlay even when it's switched off: in this case AirPlaySpeak still works but by the time the AirPlay protocol activates the Denon unit, the first 6-7 words of the phrase sent to it by AirPlaySpeak are lost. If the Denon is already switched on, there is no such loss.
HS3.0.0.368,BLRF, BLBackup2.27, Netcam, Global Cache Pro 5.0.0.56, UltraNetatmo3, UltraRachio3.0.6104.19146 ZNet-Ethernet 0.212, HSM100s,/200s,Aeon Multisensors and PowerStrips, 3x2Gig CT30 and 2x2Gig CT100 ZWave-Thermostats. Zwave nodes: 100. Devices: 610. Events: 159. Windows 10.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcwilliams View Post
I have a Denon 2313 unit which has AirPlay. AirPlaySpeak does work with this but the speech is somewhat slow. The Denon responds to AirPlay even when it's switched off: in this case AirPlaySpeak still works but by the time the AirPlay protocol activates the Denon unit, the first 6-7 words of the phrase sent to it by AirPlaySpeak are lost. If the Denon is already switched on, there is no such loss.
as said in the other thread, there is a "Before delay" setting in the config page that you should try. Let us know if that fix your problem.

I'm adding Denon 2313 to the list of compatible hardware.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:36 AM
Seer

My Yamaha V673 receiver works fine too.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Seer Deluxe

The Pioneer Receiver VSX 921 is also working fine (=similair to 1121).
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Seer Deluxe

Cydia's AirPlayServer works also fine. It's not an app but after install you'll have to activate it in Settings, like a service..? It works only as an audio receiver and you don't have to worry about if the program is active (in the background) or not.
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:39 AM

cool, it works on any iOS jailbroken device, right?

added it to the list
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Seer Deluxe

I'm testing shairport-sync on the Raspberry Pi, currently a RBPi 3 and next a RBPi Zero, and it seems to work just fine. Currently only using the builtin audio but will be checking out various audio cards but I don't expect any that will change anything other than better sound.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've only found two things one needs to be aware of.
  • Shairport-sync is listed as unknown. Question, what's missing that would allow shairport-sync to be identified rather than being listed as unknown? If that can be identified I can post on Github asking that it be added to shairport-sync.
  • By default, shairport-sync rejects any other Airplay device from connecting once any connection is up. You have to drop the existing connection then shairport-sync will allow the other stream to connect where other Airplay devices, as I understand it, will shutdown the existing connection. When this happens AirplaySpeak logs the following error. Don't know if this conditions could be detected such that a more informative error could be entered into the log.
    Quote:
    Jan-17 6:47:09 AM AirplaySpeak INFO Connection to Raspberrypi (10.0.1.16:5000) failed: Request failed, error RTSP/1.0 453 Unauthorized
    That said the default action can be changed so that you can interrupt the current connection. See the documentation on Github.
So right now if you want a single box to be able to play both an AirPlay music stream and still receive AirplaySpeak you need two RBPi Zeros and an audio mixer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to see shairport-sync modified so two threads could be running at the same time, with each bonded to a different IP address on the same interface, and their outputs mixed. One would be the priority channel and the other the secondary channel. This would, for example, allow AirplaySpeak to connect to the priority channel even if you're playing music on the secondary channel.

If done correctly when the primary channel receives a connection it would lower or mute the volume on the secondary channel.

I'm going to request this on the shairport-sync Github channel and see what they say. If not then I may look at doing it myself.

I do have a question, does AirplaySpeak synchronize its output when feeding multiple Airplay devices using the syncing built into Airplay? Don't really care about syncing to Speaker Clients when you have AirplaySpeak

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard 3.0.0.435
Linux version: hs3 4.14.34-v7+ #1110 SMP Mon Apr 16 15:18:51 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
Mono version: 5.12.0.226
Z-NET V2 - Version 1.0.23
Number of Devices: 257
Number of Events: 320
Available Threads: 399
HSTouch Enabled: True

3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak
3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
3.0.1.109: PHLocation
0.0.0.42: Pushover 3P
3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Last edited by Timon; January 17th, 2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Update information.
Old March 10th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Has anyone tried this plug-in with an Apple HomePod?
Old March 10th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
Has anyone tried this plug-in with an Apple HomePod?
as I said in the other thread csullivan tested it successfully with a Home
pod: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...27#post1351827