This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaky module?

I've noticed a flood in my logs over the past few weeks all coming form the same device. It's an insteon Dual-Band LampLinc firmware 43. I'm seeing on and off received messages being logged several times per minute. I stood by the module and watched it's indicator for a while, and sure enough, it's flipping from red to green and back at random intervals. So I don't think this is a plugin issue. It's reporting what it's seeing correctly.

This particular module is connected to a cord tucked along the top of my fireplace for Christmas lights. (not near the firebox, it's up near the ceiling) I have lights of various holiday themes plugged in there for almost half the year from Halloween thru Easter. I just took the Easter egg lights down a week or two ago. I suppose it's probably around the time I've seen this flood in the log. I've never noticed the lights have a problem when they were plugged into this module. So I went and plugged in a string of lights into this module, and sure enough, it's stable. No errant on and off messages.

Does this sound like a flaky module? Does it not like being plugged in with no load attached?

Also worth noting is that when I look at my insteon manage devices page, this particular device has exponentially higher counts in the hop columns. Here's the current counters 1062058, 8530, 9240. Compare that to other devices that turn on and off a few times daily, those numbers are closer to 3941, 74, 56.

Since it's my own thread, I'm going to digress off the original topic a bit onto something else that may or may not be related.

I do have two other devices with unusually high numbers in the hop counters. There's two events per day that reprogram the switch to change the switch settings. (different on level at night vs daytime) These are both dual band switchlincs.
    The other thing I find odd with these is that these two devices participate in the exact same events. They were purchased and installed at the same time. I'd expect them to have hop stats that are very close to each other. Their stats are as follows.

Master Bath Ceiling Light
    Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer
    i2CS
    93% (311 failed out of 4302 cmds)
    Excellent

Master Bath Vanity Lights
    Dual-Band SwitchLinc Dimmer
    i2CS
    92% (373 failed out of 4659 cmds)
    Excellent

Comment

Jon,
      have you tried a factory reset on the device?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Not yet. I always forget I can do that. I can try that later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had to turn off load sensing on one of mine that was connected to LED lights. With load sensing on, it would go a little crazy when it was turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
            I had to turn off load sensing on one of mine that was connected to LED lights. With load sensing on, it would go a little crazy when it was turned off.
            Didn't realize that was an option. I just found it in the manual. I can try that too. I don't need that feature on this module anyhow. That can't be done from the plugin can it?

I'm having the opposite problem though. It is working fine when connected to LED lights. It gets flaky when there's nothing plugged into it. Actually, it seems to be stable when there's nothing at all plugged into it, but the anomaly happens when there's an extension cord attached to the module with nothing at the other end. (that's my temporary solution)

The only reasons I leave the module plugged in when there's no lights is first, so I don't misplace the module, and secondly, since it's a part of insteon groups, the whole system works better when all group members are online.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              ... That can't be done from the plugin can it?...
              In my case, it could and I did use the plugin to disable the load sensing.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
                In my case, it could and I did use the plugin to disable the load sensing.
                I'm not seeing that option on the device page in the plugin. All I have is LED Brightness, Default On Level, Default ramp rate, programming lock, led flash on tx, LED and Resume dim. Maybe that's not supported on this device type?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  I'm not seeing that option on the device page in the plugin. All I have is LED Brightness, Default On Level, Default ramp rate, programming lock, led flash on tx, LED and Resume dim. Maybe that's not supported on this device type?
                  Probably so, I guess you'll have to try it at the module itself. I have some that do and some that don't. Fortunately for me, so far the only one that had a problem was one of the ones with this as an option in the plugin.

Comment

Working...
                  X