This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find detailed value information for Insteon devices

As I've been playing with new insteon devices, I've been finding myself stuck doing a trial and error to figure out the meaning of values for various devices. Sometimes it's hard to decipher the meaning of the values and their potential ranges. Is there a resource somewhere that actually lists the values and what they mean? I'm not finding it in the manual for the product. I think this is because the plugin reveals information that's not typically available to normal users. I'm not finding good developer information either that clearly explains the values.

For example, the motion sensor has a battery level value. I'm seeing that it's reporting a 0 value with a fresh battery. So I assume that means full. but what is the range of values I might expect. And what do the values within that range mean?

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    As I've been playing with new insteon devices, I've been finding myself stuck doing a trial and error to figure out the meaning of values for various devices. Sometimes it's hard to decipher the meaning of the values and their potential ranges. Is there a resource somewhere that actually lists the values and what they mean? I'm not finding it in the manual for the product. I think this is because the plugin reveals information that's not typically available to normal users. I'm not finding good developer information either that clearly explains the values.

For example, the motion sensor has a battery level value. I'm seeing that it's reporting a 0 value with a fresh battery. So I assume that means full. but what is the range of values I might expect. And what do the values within that range mean?
    Jon,
    developer level details are avail below. but there is no guarantee that the info you are seeking is there.

http://www.insteon.com/developer#devdocs

Battery levels are the easiest however. It is a voltage reading from the device. you will need to set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)" on the plugin motion sensor page to get the value. the settings will be read after the number of On msgs received. i would recommend 20 depending on how busy the MS is. To low of a value will kill the battery quickly

there is a downside to this feature; units with fw prior to 44 (i think) have a tendency to lock up. a pressing the set btn usually revives the unit.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      Jon,
      developer level details are avail below. but there is no guarantee that the info you are seeking is there.

http://www.insteon.com/developer#devdocs

Battery levels are the easiest however. It is a voltage reading from the device. you will need to set the "Read settings after On cmds (0=Disable)" on the plugin motion sensor page to get the value. the settings will be read after the number of On msgs received. i would recommend 20 depending on how busy the MS is. To low of a value will kill the battery quickly

there is a downside to this feature; units with fw prior to 44 (i think) have a tendency to lock up. a pressing the set btn usually revives the unit.
      I was looking at that page, but didn't see anything specific to values. Perhaps I was overlooking it in a bigger document.

This sensor is FW41, it's brand new, but we got it from menards, so it could have been on the shelf for a while.

So for the battery, do you know what the value range is? Is it just something like 1-10? or is it more like 1-100 and the last digit is the decimal tenths? Do you know which value corresponds with a fresh battery and which corresponds with a low battery warning? I'm trying to set up range graphics for it in the HS device.

Comment

also, do you have a definition of the op flag for "Occupancy Mode"

Part of the reason I'm looking for the documentation is to avoid having to ask many specific questions.

BTW, My brother and I just spent the last few days upgrading my dad's house to a full insteon setup using a hub2. It's been working great.

Comment

I was looking at that page, but didn't see anything specific to values. Perhaps I was overlooking it in a bigger document.
          So for the battery, do you know what the value range is?
          The value will be what the actual voltage is, e.g., 8.7. I don't know that there is a valid range [limit] defined. In other words, if it were possible for the unit to reply with 45.8, then that is what would be recorded. But in reality, it will be whatever voltage a 9V battery is capable of reporting, probably up to 9.5 or so.You won't see a value until the plug-in reads the setting the first time after the number of Ons are received for the polling interval.

Scott

Comment

I guess what I'm asking is how we get the decimal from an 8 bit integer.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess what I'm asking is how we get the decimal from an 8 bit integer.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              battery level is 0 to 10 volts

divide by 10 based on the hs value to get the decimal value

hs2 only stores integers. so the plugin stores 87 for 8.7 volts. the string value has the correct value. i just noticed in hs3 only the string value is stored.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
              X