This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bob,

Just tried the latest version and have problems- Summary: No Scene Control and first attempt to install failed

Details on what I did:

1) Didn't disable current (old) plugin or uninstall old files. Copied over zip and txt file - Install failed (didn't note why)
    2) Disabled old plugin and tried again - Installed but no control of Devices.
    3) Shut down HS3 and restarted - Control of devices but not of scenes. Scenes show up on config page (31) but show up on Device Management page as ISY Unknown.
    4) Disabled plugin, Deleted ISY files, Re-copied files to Zip folder - Install successful - Same issues with Scenes - show up on config page, no control and listed as ISY Unknown on management page.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
      I followed the instructions. Now on the plugin page once i click on update listings I see the ISY plugin listed but what do I do to instal it. There is no buttons. This is the first thing I'm doing on HS3 so might just not see it.
      It could be Internet Explorer compatibility settings. Someone else had a problem like this and that's what it was.

I've attached an image of what mine looks like using the Chrome browser.
      Attached Files
      --
      Bob Paauwe
      ISYInsteon Plug-in
      http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Originally posted by dhank View Post
        Hi Bob,
        1) Didn't disable current (old) plugin or uninstall old files. Copied over zip and txt file - Install failed (didn't note why)
        Not sure why this didn't work. I haven't had problems but I don't install using the override very often. I've added alternative instructions for upgrading these alphas that may work better.

3) Shut down HS3 and restarted - Control of devices but not of scenes. Scenes show up on config page (31) but show up on Device Management page as ISY Unknown.
        I messed up a bunch of device types, not just scenes (but programs, variables, etc). Alpha 3 should fix all of these.

Thanks for the report!
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
          It could be Internet Explorer compatibility settings. Someone else had a problem like this and that's what it was.

I've attached an image of what mine looks like using the Chrome browser.
          That's what it was. I wasn't seeing the check box beside the plugin name.

Comment

Bob,

You're the Man!! Went to revert back tonight and saw you uploaded the -03 version so did that one instead.

Here's my experience:

-No disable or unistall, just copied down new files and installed
            Showed as failed but with time (30-60sec later) showed latest -03 version as current (with failed still shown below)
            Plugin status looked good, scenes show up under device types on management page.
            Checked scenes only and they work

-Scrolled through ISY plugin page, then came back to main device management. Tried multiple ISY controls with instances and scenes - all 'failed'. About 45-60 seconds later all lights started toggling (from previous tries, no new clicks from me) Don't know if this is you or my computer as this isn't a fresh install. After that, all worked as expected.

-Shut down, restart, No ISY devices loaded (I have a BLDSC that has expired and it pauses on, also have seen that zwave sometimes takes time to go through. Basically, 90% of the times ISY will load here but this was one of the times it didn't - have seen it before.)

-Shutdown and restarted again, all loaded and works. (only tested devices and scenes)

If there are things you want me to try - or narrow down, let me know

Dale

Comment

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by dhank View Post
              Bob,
              Showed as failed but with time (30-60sec later) showed latest -03 version as current (with failed still shown below)
              I'm not sure at what point HS updates the plug-in status message. I've been shutting down HS copying the new version, restart HS while doing all my development. That has been working fine.

-Scrolled through ISY plugin page, then came back to main device management. Tried multiple ISY controls with instances and scenes - all 'failed'. About 45-60 seconds later all lights started toggling (from previous tries, no new clicks from me) Don't know if this is you or my computer as this isn't a fresh install. After that, all worked as expected.
              I should probably mention this in the notes about the release, but it does take a bit of time for the plug-in to actually start. With HS2, it blocks HomeSeer until it finishes it's initialization. HS3 will report that the plug-in has failed if it doesn't respond within a short amount of time. So I have the plug-in respond that it's loaded right away, then in the background, it does the initialization. While it's initializing, it can't do anything else, like send commands. How long the initialization takes will vary depending on system and number of devices, programs, variables, etc.

So this sounds like you tried to control things while it was initializing and they just queued up and executed when initialization was complete.

I haven't figured out the best way to deal with this yet.

-Shut down, restart, No ISY devices loaded (I have a BLDSC that has expired and it pauses on, also have seen that zwave sometimes takes time to go through. Basically, 90% of the times ISY will load here but this was one of the times it didn't - have seen it before.)
              I don't understand what you're saying here. 10% of time the ISY Plug-in doesn't load? Is it reporting a failure on the manage plug-ins page? If so, what? Have you tried controlling devices even after it reported a failure?

This could be that the plug-in didn't respond within that short time that HS3 wants to see it. If so, the plug-in is likely running and working fine.

On the manage plug-in's page there's a checkbox for developer's console, if you check that, the plug-ins will open a console window and you can see more about what's happening during plug-in startup.
              --
              Bob Paauwe
              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Bob,

I haven't kept count but I'd say about 1 in 10 to 15 times it hasn't loaded at startup. Last night I did see a 'communication error' listed in the HS start screen. I then checked the ISY config page and it shows 0 for devices but I didn't try controlling any. Previously, when I haven't had device control after startup, I've checked the ISY config page and would see 0 for devices.

Next time it happens I'll look into it and provide more details. I'll also start a count going forward.

Dale

Comment

So far I've had great luck with controlling devices. But there is no control over variables, resources, programs and no event access to anything other than the actual ISY devices.

So when that come on board I might be able to drop HS2 and move all over to HS3.

Good job so far!

Comment

Error Posting back to plugin web page ISYInsteon_config: Object reference not set to

I've been trying to stop the log from filling with 'Event Queue is now empty' and 'Heartbeat' messages. I added a check mark next to those under "Status Message Filters" and saved, but they still appear. I can't make any changes under "Tracing/Debugging", because when you press "Save Log/Debug Configuration", it generates a blank screen, and the following error appears in the log. (Currently it's set to debug on "Status", with all boxes checked.)

Jan-17 6:18:58 PM ISYInsteon Event Queue is now empty.
                    Jan-17 6:18:58 PM ISYInsteon ISY Heartbeat message.
                    Jan-17 6:18:33 PM ISYInsteon Event Queue is now empty.
                    Jan-17 6:18:33 PM ISYInsteon ISY Heartbeat message.
                    Jan-17 6:18:15 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page ISYInsteon_config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Jan-17 6:18:08 PM ISYInsteon Event Queue is now empty.
                    Jan-17 6:18:08 PM ISYInsteon ISY Heartbeat message.
                    Jan-17 6:17:59 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page ISYInsteon_config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

BTW - Are we supposed to manually generate the "X-10 style" house codes for each Insteon device? Or is that no longer required?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Deleted Devices

FYI - I deleted some unused devices from the ISY, but they remain in HomeSeer, even after a restart of HS3. I ended up manually deleting them from HS3 successfully, but wanted to pass it on.

Comment

I'm having issues with value/status pairs, and I'm wondering if it's a HS3 bug, but then I wondered if maybe the ISY plugin might be doing this since it's in Alpha.

I click a device, go to the "Status Graphics" tab and add a status such as
                        0 = Open
                        255 = Closed

However, every time I restart HS3, I have to re-enter this info into every (Insteon) device. Also, the "Open/Closed" status will almost never show. It will only work if the "Advanced" tab has a blank entry for "String". If the "String= On" for example, then "On" is what the status page shows instead of the expected "Open".

Below:
                        - Door has a "String=On" so it won't display "Open" on the status page.
                        - Radio has a "String= <empty>" so it WILL display the status text "Radio Off"
                        Attached Files

Comment

Follow-up

I just restarted HS3, and now my status 0=Radio Off, and 100=Radio On are erased. I'm guessing the plugin recreates these devices from the ISY at startup, and the information is reformatted to "Factory new" (0=Off, 100=On)?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CJVann View Post
                            I've been trying to stop the log from filling with 'Event Queue is now empty' and 'Heartbeat' messages. I added a check mark next to those under "Status Message Filters" and saved, but they still appear.
                            Thanks for the report. I've reproduced it so something's broken with the filters.

I can't make any changes under "Tracing/Debugging", because when you press "Save Log/Debug Configuration", it generates a blank screen, and the following error appears in the log. (Currently it's set to debug on "Status", with all boxes checked.)
                            There are two save buttons, one near the top (right) and one at the bottom left. I'm seeing the same failure if I use the bottom left button but the one near the top right works as expected for me. I thought they were doing the same thing, but apparently not so something else to fix.

BTW - Are we supposed to manually generate the "X-10 style" house codes for each Insteon device? Or is that no longer required?
                            Thanks!
                            They aren't required. HS3 no longer uses X10 house/unit codes. If the ISY is managing X10 devices, it will set the HS3 code to the actual device X10 code, but otherwise it's leaving that field blank.
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

FYI - I deleted some unused devices from the ISY, but they remain in HomeSeer, even after a restart of HS3. I ended up manually deleting them from HS3 successfully, but wanted to pass it on.
                              Thanks, I've put it on the list of things to fix.
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I'm having issues with value/status pairs, and I'm wondering if it's a HS3 bug, but then I wondered if maybe the ISY plugin might be doing this since it's in Alpha.

I click a device, go to the "Status Graphics" tab and add a status such as
                                0 = Open
                                255 = Closed

However, every time I restart HS3, I have to re-enter this info into every (Insteon) device. Also, the "Open/Closed" status will almost never show. It will only work if the "Advanced" tab has a blank entry for "String". If the "String= On" for example, then "On" is what the status page shows instead of the expected "Open".

Below:
                                - Door has a "String=On" so it won't display "Open" on the status page.
                                - Radio has a "String= <empty>" so it WILL display the status text "Radio Off"
                                The plug-in is working mostly as designed. The value/status pairs set up by the plug-in are supposed to be read-only but currently aren't because I was using the ability to change them from the device configuration while debugging.

And, yes, the plug-in will reset the status/value pairs every time it starts. This, again, is by design. There have been many cases in the past where new device comes a long and gets added by the plug-in as a generic device based on it's type. Then later when the plug-in gets updated to fully support the device it has to make changes to the way the device is configured in HomeSeer. It is a lot more simple to just set everything on startup than to try and detect if anything is wrong or outdated.

I can certainly understand the desire to create custom status value pairs. So I'll give it some thought and see if there's some way to enable that. Early on there was a developer discussion that somewhat relates to this. Given that you can set the status to pretty much anything, how will script writers relate status values to anything meaningful? Do they have to do string matching for many different words that might mean the device is off (off, closed, deactivated, etc.)? HomeSeer did make some changes based on this and provides an alternate way for plug-in's to report status but I haven't looked into that yet.

t will only work if the "Advanced" tab has a blank entry for "String". If the "String= On" for example, then "On" is what the status page shows instead of the expected "Open".
                                The string field takes precedence over the value's status value. That's always been the case, even in HS2. In fact, in HS2 it was the only way to get a non-X10ish status to display. Now that HS3 allows the status to be anything, I though I had removed the cases where the string was being set but I guess I missed some devices. On what type of device are you seeing the string field being used?
                                --
                                Bob Paauwe
                                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                                X