No announcement yet.

Lightning Detection for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-wire devices have been around a long time.

Historically with HS2 I was using multiple 1-wire networks wired in a star fashion.

2 Temp-08's, 1 Temp-05 and a couple of 9097 dual port USB devices.

Each network was punched in to a small Leviton phone punch panel and went from the punch panel to a temp-0x or 9097 device. Worked fine like this for many years even though it was a star topology.

The integration of all of these to Homeseer 2 started with me bugging Jim Doolittle as he used to live nearby my old home. I would give him all of the 1-wire devices that I was playing with at the time.

Then I went to using xAP (MCS) for the multiple 1-wire networks plus mcsTemp.

Note that the 1-wire networks had many different types of devices.

Recently started to play with Linux software called DigiTemp running it on my ZNet like device in the attic and connecting it to temperature / humidity sensors on the second floor of the house. Digitemp does a read of sensors every 5 minutes and will post the reading as a text file. The text file is copied over to two HS boxes and read by a script that Rob wrote to create variables. Might be easier just to include the reading part from the source in Rob's script.

Also now playing with OWFS. They are different. Starting looking in to the "blue kit" which is a revised lightning sensor board from the old "red kit".
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      1-wire devices have been around a long time.

Historically with HS2 I was using multiple 1-wire networks wired in a star fashion.

2 Temp-08's, 1 Temp-05 and a couple of 9097 dual port USB devices.

Each network was punched in to a small Leviton phone punch panel and went from the punch panel to a temp-0x or 9097 device. Worked fine like this for many years even though it was a star topology.

The integration of all of these to Homeseer 2 started with me bugging Jim Doolittle as he used to live nearby my old home. I would give him all of the 1-wire devices that I was playing with at the time.

Then I went to using xAP (MCS) for the multiple 1-wire networks plus mcsTemp.

Note that the 1-wire networks had many different types of devices.

Recently started to play with Linux software called DigiTemp running it on my ZNet like device in the attic and connecting it to temperature / humidity sensors on the second floor of the house. Digitemp does a read of sensors every 5 minutes and will post the reading as a text file. The text file is copied over to two HS boxes and read by a script that Rob wrote to create variables. Might be easier just to include the reading part from the source in Rob's script.

Also now playing with OWFS. They are different. Starting looking in to the "blue kit" which is a revised lightning sensor board from the old "red kit".
      Pete you always amaze me. Thanks for this info. It has me rethinking what I want to do. I had a similar idea about 1-wire for the upper level of my house.

My idea with Arduino was to use the Arduino I already have tied to HS for other things and just see what it reads off the unit. I am not sure if this will work or not, but gonna give it the ol college effort.

Thanks again for this, you have my wheels spinning for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Very nice Dick. Off grid perfection at it's finest!

Weather here is a hobby but not a necessity.

For rain here utilize the Davis tipping bucket, Dallas Tipping bucket and two digital rain guages; one for just "is it raining" and the other to measure rain.

Great idea to utilize the solar panels for cloudiness readings. Here always had issues with getting local UV reads such that I went to using a temperature sensor in a sealed glass jar which sort of works. (and the internet but it is not local enough)

For weather radar maps and concurrent to internet stuff utilize NOAA satellites / SD Radio stuff and an small Quadrifilar Helix (QFH) is a circularly polarized antenna in the attic.

There is a user here on the forum that uses Huges satellite system for his Internet. Here utilize Wireless 3G/LTE as a backup to primary cable internt. It is good enough for backup to VOIP, internet, SMS and phone line. Looking to building a DIY yagi directional antenna to optimize coverage.

There are a few folks here on the forum that have DIY'd NOAA weather radios integrating them to Homeseer. (ardunio stuff). Here using an old Recom radio with audio / NO switches going to the alarm panel.

Lightning has been an issue here on the forum with many users integrating alarm panels to their automation. IE: it's mostly relating to ground.
        Here utilize copper pipe ingress and one ground stake next to the electrical ingress.
        Hi Pete, how do you get Davis rain tipping bucket data into HS? I can't download Weatherunderground data into mscSpringkers any more, so trying to find alternative rain data.

Comment

Well over the years here went to using Cumulus / Davis weather station for stuff.

The Cumulus data (including web) and text files were just uploaded to the internet hosting site. From there mcsSprinklers was downloading a delimited txt file with the baseics. That said also went to running mcsSprinklers in Mono on a Seagate Dockstar (pogo plug) many years ago.

Cumulus also has a configuration for the Digital rain guage numbers.

Kept the 1-Wire up with Homeseer 2 originally running on Windows Server.

This is where I am now looking to integrate Linux WeeWx software in to the Homeseer Pro box. I can then tap in the apache web site for Homeseer data (Davis and 1-Wire and other wireless sensors).

1-wire data would include more external weather sensors. IE: temperature, humidity, counter data (Dallas Rain tipping bucket, lightning, et al).

For mcsSprinklers I have always used my rain data versus posted data on WUN or NOAA.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is only one seller selling them on ebay when I search so that must be him
            Seller is smdking, correct?
            Cheers,
            Bob
            Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

How are you guys mounting these outside?
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Arduino Lightning Detector

Just a FYI.
                Check out Playfusion's Lightning Sensor Board (AS3935 Lightning detection sensor)
                Adruino sketchs are provided at the bottom of the page.

This sensor actually watches for the particular Waveform of lightning at 500Khz and gives a distance approximation.

Had this as a to do project, but it seems folks are now using with this older Adruino and the newer ESP8266(Nodemcu). With any of these boards you could use the paid Arduino plugin for HS3 or the free MQTT plugin to get the info into HS3.

Al aka Sparkman here did a write up using this board on the mysensors site a while back, but this can be now done with Arduino.
                https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/88...tning-sensor/2

Here's a stand alone detector using a Adruino nano.
                http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...ning-Detector/
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

The seller is the designer

Yes, "SMDKING" is the eBay seller. He makes them himself, so there will probably not be another seller offering them anytime soon. They are professionally made little modules, and I am very impressed with the accuracy, reliability, and consistency of the module performance.

Comment

Mine is just laying inside a plastic "cantex" junction box that is embedded inside a concrete column about 5ft from the ground. But I also gave it a little "sealing coat" of GOOP OUTDOOR ADHESIVE to keep it from corrosion. The "GOOP" is non-conductive and has offers very little capacitance whilst giving total immersion protection. I use that stuff a lot, it really works.
                    Anyway- I suppose a good "normal" way to mount the pcb is to embed it inside a plastic junction box with (or without) a conduit run just far enough from things like the air conditioner contact relay, or relays/switches that may spark when activated "could" false trigger. (although I have seen ZERO false triggers, I am very remote from city).
                    The pcb is very small, and if sealed properly, it would seem acceptable to just mount it under the eave. It really does NOT require being outdoors, an attic (non-metal roof) would offer good performance, an EMP would penetrate the roof with ease.

Comment

Very interesting read on your off grid living etc. Plus the Lightning Detection. Thank You!

I live about 500+ or so feet from a FM radio station antena. I have so far depended on it be my lightning rod and hope it continues.

Comment

Current lightning sensor is using Eric Vickery's Hobby board 1-wire lightning sensor counter.

I built it to the specs provided in that weather instrument book. It was mounted on the roof. Moving it to the attic. It was well connected and grounded using two coaxial cables before going in to the house (ground rod and lightning arrestor). Testing it in the basement right now and it is working fine after connecting it to an earth ground (copper water pipe). I have never seen the LED lamp illuminate.

Counter numbers went from zero to many thousands depending on how close the lightning was. The antenna is just a copper wire inside of the PVC tube. It is omni directional and very basic. The 1-wire counter does not require a deb ounce circuit. (as do the 1-wire water meter counters and Dallas Intruments rain tipping bucket).

[ATTACH]61523[/ATTACH]

Like tinkering here with weather stuff.

Thank you Switchdoctor!!!
                        Last edited by Pete; June 4, 2017, 04:16 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Intro
                          Thanks to Switchdoctor I got directed to this topic. Yes, I'm SMDKing who design and manufacture (for a living) the EMP-sensor, available at eBay. I stay in the Netherlands (Europe) and thought my current nickname overhere will fit.
                          So far the introduction.

Stock
                          As SwitchDoctor mentioned, I ran out of stock with these sensors.
                          I noticed some of you might not be interested in an audible warning, when lighting takes place. Exactly this made it possible to manufacture another batch of 50 pieces in short notice. They're available at eBay right now. Some of you did notice this and found their way.

In the meantime I'm awaiting new boards. As soon as they arrive, assembly and testing will take place. (I hope I won't run out of stock in the meantime).

Overview
                          Several models were designed so far :

- The familiar one (A)
                          The familiar one contains an integrated onboard antenna. It's a very sound and proven design. However, if you like to use an external antenna, you can solder it to a tiny hole, while desoldering a "blob".

- Current model (B)
                          It's small and is currently sold, but contains no audible alarm (no buzzer). It's hard to attach an external antenna to this board, because the antenna is protected by a rubber coating. You can remove this, but won't be easy.

- Future model (C)
                          Because the sensor can be downsized, a newer model was designed. If you compare this to the "familiar one", the design shrunk drastically. Also, power-usage dropped (far below 1 mA) and runs at a maximum of 3 Volts. This makes it a great tool for portable battery operated devices. However, manufacturing them is difficult. There's a drop-out rate of 25% while assembling the tiny components. It needs further inspection to find the exact cause. Also the antenna requires special attention / techniques.
                          They'll come in 2 flavours :
                          = Analogue
                          This module provides only analog output and hold a yellow plastic part at the pins.
                          = Digital
                          This module provides only a digital output and hold a red plastic part at the pins.

It's planned to have both types up and running by end of this year.

Is there more awaiting ? Yes,... but I can't tell you about it now. And because a picture is worth a 1.000 words, an overview of the EMP-sensors.

P.S. It is my intention to inform people who are interested. If moderators see it as inappropriate, feel free to remove this message.
                          Last edited by Dr.Flash; June 5, 2017, 09:53 AM. Reason: Better info and less typo

Comment

I would be interested in a couple without the buzzer. What's the best way to order?

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Dr.Flash!

I ordered one of your sensors last week / early this week.

Thank you telling us about your current device models and future ones.

The Hobby Boards Lightning sensor I posted with the antenna is now in the basement work room being tested. (I moved it from the roof where it was originally mounted). It has an integrated Maxim 1-wire counter.

Many users on the forum are tinkering with Arduino's these days (for AD conversions).

I may just utilize your device in a small plastic box ether inside or outside of the house.

Curious what recommendations you have relating to a lightning counter circuit?

In the process here of switching (concurrent using) Davis weather console serially connected to a RPi2 and just switching over to using a MeteoStick / WeeWx.

BTW (by the way) I have worked there in Schiphol airport and Amsterdam (1990's and early 2000's). Typically I would stay in Amsterdam and commute to the airport. I have been to one Queen's day festival (when it was called Queen's day). Great stuff!
                              Last edited by Pete; June 5, 2017, 05:08 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Welcome to the community Dr.Flash!

I am also interested in one of these that can be integrated to Arduino. I still have not setup my Arduino stuff as I need to learn how to use it first but this is one thing I have always wanted to track as we get a lot of storms around my area and this would serve as a great warning device on approaching storms.

I think Dr.Flash should start a new thread on the board about the EMP board and that way it is easy to link others to it. Thoughts?
                                Cheers,
                                Bob
                                Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Working...
                                X