• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLC-Bus 4 Scene Module and Status Changes in Log

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions.....

Problem 1 - Log Descriptions

In my log, many years ago, if a status changed, the log would show the description of the device that had changed - e.g. Hall Light set to [On]. For the last couple of years, all I get now is the device code and not the description e.g. Device [255-A12] status set to [On]. Is there something that I can do to get the descriptions back - or have I inadvertently done something that I shouldn't have?

The biggest problem ......

Problem 2 - PLC-Bus 4 Scene Commands not Logged in Homeseer

I have a number of 4 scene micro modules in the house that monitor auxiliary systems. Essentially I am using relays (powered from other equipment) to switch the scene micro module inputs. These modules used to work fine with Homeseer and I could trigger events based on when a status command was sent from the module. For a long time and for an unknown reason, the modules stopped being seen by Homeseer and I cannot trigger events from them. At the weekend I reprogrammed them all, but still cannot get them to work. I have done the following steps:

1) Added 4 addresses as standard appliance modules in Homeseer e.g. A1-A4
    2) Entered the programming mode of the scene module, sending each of the 4 scenes a command from A1 to A4.
    3) Once the module has been taught the device codes, I have changed each of the devices in Homeseer to appliance status only devices.

When the relays change state, the scene module inputs switch and the blue LED flashes. Upon checking the Homeseer log, there is no information relating to the device address that has just been sent. Similarly if the device status is checked, the last changed time does not update.

I know that it logs a device "change" so have tested the setup starting with the device manually set to on (waiting for an off command) and also the opposite way round. I have even tried doing a scene where the device is programmed to switch on and then off.

If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful as I am struggling so badly with what should be a really simple interface setup.

Many, many thanks,

Jay

Hello,

Problem 1:

I think there are two different log systems

1) The HomeSeer log for the device

Hall Light set to [On]

2) The PLCBUS plugin log for the device

Device [255-A12] status set to [On]

Maybe you disabled the HomeSeer log.

Problem 2:

This should work fine. The same setup works fine here. Are you 100% certain your scene module are programmed with the right PLCBUS User code ?

Did you program the scene micro-modules by sending A1/A2/A3/A4 ON from the PLCBUS plugin, or with another PLCBUS controller ?

Also you may double-check the micro-module wiring. The live-wire MUST be connected to the live-connector. If you reversed and plugged neutral to the live, the module appears to work fine, but cannot send data to the PLCBUS interface.
    --
    stipus

Comment

You may also enable the plugin debug mode.

This will print everything received and sent from/to the PLCBUS 1141 interface.

If the PLCBUS interface receives data from your scene micro-modules, it will be printed to the log.

If you don't see anything printed when your scene micro-modules are activated, you have a communication problem between the micro-module and the PLCBUS 1141 interface.
      --
      stipus

Comment

Hi Stipus,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply to my question.

I have checked that the wiring (N-L) is the correct way round and actually connected a spare scene module to a flex and plug to make testing easier.

I enter the learn mode for each channel and send a code, but when I trigger each channel on the module, Homeseer doesn't show the command being received. Very occasionally I might get a command captured in the log, but it's so hit and miss and rare. The house code is correctly set (255) on the interface and also when setting up the device.

As an extra test, I thought I would try taking a plug in module and try learning it to the same code as channel one on the scene module, so that I would be able to see a physical device switch each time I trigger the scene.

I plugged the plug device in, held the learn button for 5 seconds and it went into learn mode. With the plugs, as soon as they see a code, they assign that code to the plug and come out of learn mode, so you have a verification that it has received and learnt a code. For some strange reason, whenever I send a command from the PC, it cannot be seen by the plug, so it just sits in learn mode for a while then times out. It's as though PLC-BUS devices are able to switch using commands sent from my PC, but they are not able to learn commands for first time setup of a device.

Incidentally, if I switch an existing device from either the PC or my mobile, the interface does send the instruction and the existing device will operate.

It seems that it is literally an issue with any PLC device learning a code from the Homeseer system.

I know it may sound unlikely, but do you think that the issue might be that I am using a very old PLCBUS-T 1141 UK interface?

Maybe it's a firmware / compatibility issue? I do know that the interface is a pain in the backside and drops out periodically (needing a reboot). My system also seems completely unable to handle acknowledgement commands so this is switched off to avoid a log full of errors.

I am also getting this log entry when trying to learn devices:

Too long wait for interface response to command: (255) B13 Off Data1:0 Data2:0 Tx:False AckReq:False Ack:False IDreq:False Id:False 3PhReq:False RiscOK:False PlcBusOK:False

I am running a single phase system BTW.

I would order another interface from Hong Kong, but don't want to buy something if it's not required and there's a more sensible answer.

Once again many thanks for your help, I REALLY appreciate it.

PS ... the Homeseer log is switched on (ref the descriptions missing).

Best wishes,

Jay

Comment

I had such communication failures in the past (between some modules and the interface), and it has always been the same problem:

One of the modules in your House might be plugged in the wrong way. Unfortunately PLCBUS communication is very sensitive to Live/Neutral, and plugin modules that can be easily plugged the wrong way.

Unfortunately it is not easy to find the culprit, as a "reversed" module might work fine, but cause communication failure for some other modules.

The only solution is to double-check the modules and interface one by one. Once done all your modules should be able to send acks and other data back to the interface.

Over the years, I also experienced one "dead" module that could not send any info to the interface (no acks, no response to polling...), but could receive data and switch on/off from the PlcBis plugin. I sent this module back to Kevin, and got a new one.
          --
          stipus

Comment

Thankyou ever so much for your advice.

When I originally put the system together I literally went mad in automating everything, so the system is pretty extensive. To disconnect everything and rebuild, is going to take an inordinate amount of work. Some of the modules are in ceilings etc too.

I am going to try and get to the modules that I can to start with, or may even knock breakers out in the consumer unit to isolate sections of the house and limit the amount of modules that I will be testing at any point.

Once again many thanks for your help - you're a star.

Cheers,

Jay

Comment

Working...
            X