Valve Failure Msg on Zone Status Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Failure Msg on Zone Status Page

Currently running mcsSprinklers 2.3.68 on HS2 build 1950.1. Using Rain8 X-10 2 way. However, have noticed the same two problems ever since moving to HS2 with all previous versions of mcsSprinklers.

Both these may be HS/Rain8 problems rather than mcsSprinklers problems.

1) After restarting HS, on the Zone status page the Status of each zone is shown as "Valve Failure" in red with a red flashing circle. If I cycle each of the valves manually, the status changes to the last run time. If I just let the system sit until the next scheduled sprinkling time, the status stays "Valve Failure" until the schedule runs. After the schedule runs, the status is shown correctly. The "Valve Failure" status doesn't seem to prevent the schedule from being run. In HS, the status is shown as "FAIL" and the soil moisture %.

2) The "Last on" status is constantly wrong. The value being shown in mcsSprinklers is that same as shown in HS. For example, HS currently shows the last change time as 5:00 PM. mcsSprinkers also shows it as 5PM. I know this is wrong as I've been observing since about 4:30PM today and the system has never run.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cecil

The "FAIL" status is equivalent to the Homeseer "Unknown" status for a device. When mcsSprinklers starts up it obtains its status from HS. In HS1 is uses the HS devices directly. In HS2 it shadows the HS devices to overcome the non-determinism of HS2 device status.

What I'm guessing is happening is that the mcsSprinklers init is being done before the HS2 initialization of the plugin devices is completed, hence HS2 is returning "Unknown" to mcsSprinklers on its inital call. There is a related thread posted by smoothlk that discusses init probems with HS2 and mcsSprinklers. I do not know if he submitted a ticket for it or not.

The last change time needs to be related to the time when the soil moisture content is updated. There have been a few iterations on this. I knew HS updates LastChange times when the DeviceStatus changes. Recently I learned that HS updates the last change time when the device value changes as well. I now save and restore the LastChange time when updating soil moisture content in the DeviceValue of the zone. I did test this update under HS1 and confirmed the implementation was now correct. I guess I'll need to also confrim it under HS2. It may be that under HS2 the DeviceString change will also generate this behavior and I have not protection against this.

Comment

Michael.
      nope no ticket posted on that problem. Wasnt' sure if it was HST or Plugin related. I kinda forgot the issue.

Comment

I just tried things on HS2 and they worked as I expected. I allowed the soil moisture update to occur at the top of the hours and no change on the LastChange property. I don't what else that may be doing it at x:00 oclock. Are you certain that a recent version is actually running under HS2?

I also confirmed that the initial call to hs.GetDeviceStatus returns an Unknown (17) and then later it returns Off (3). I can put a kludge into mcsSprinklers to reask for status after some startup delay, but I think it would be best resolved within Homeseer. HS really should not startup the plugins and scripts before it initializes its own device statuses.

Comment

MIchael,

I think you have hit on the issue. Both of the problems I described occur after a re-start of HS. Once a cycle runs everthing is correct until I have to re-start HS. Unfortunately, with all of the various plugins doing fairly regular updates to fix various things that seem to work differently in HS2, I seem to have to do the shutdown/restart sequence about every other day.

Thanks for investigating.

Cecil

Comment

Working...
          X