Rain Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Sensor

I have been unable to find a rain sensor which is compatable with RFXCom, I have a bucket style 'tip' rain gauge etc, but I am after a sensor that will tell me immediately when it detects rain.

Any ideas

I use a rain sensor attached to a DS10.. works ok.

TrOjAn

Comment

Check out the leaf wetness sensors on Hobby Boards. One of these connected to a DS10A will detect dew.
      http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1544

I use these under all of my sinks in the house for leak detection and they work really well.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Check out the leaf wetness sensors on Hobby Boards. One of these connected to a DS10A will detect dew.
        http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1544

I use these under all of my sinks in the house for leak detection and they work really well.
        Hey Rupp,

How do you deal with the fact that Moisture=Normal and Dry=Alarm (assuming you use ACRF2)? I can handle it, but I dont want LOML to be "confused"...

Tom

Comment

Trojan/Rupp

I now have the component parts, but excuse my ignorance but how do you attach the sensor to the DS10

Ta

Comment

Disconnect the wires from the DS10A to the magnetic contact and solder them into the holes on the leaf board.

tenholde
            tenholde

Comment

i made a few of these and they work so-so... i get intermittent "reset" alerts, rather than alarms... which is ok... but shouldnt happen. i use rfxcom.
              HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

i kinda gave up on the hobby boards sensor. after a week, it just grows algae on it. and now, even during heavy rains, it doesnt even detect anymore.
                i have to clean the sensor with rubbing alcohol at least once in 3 days for it to detect accurately.
                Last edited by ; April 5, 2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

for those in the desert rain is an event. In Singapore it is just a 2 pm thing that a periodic event could trigger just as well. In Seatle area a one a year cleaning should be good, but morning dew will trigger it just like a rooster would.

Comment

I am thinking of using a rain guage that tips over when loaded.
                    I am thinking of using the number of times it tips to detect rain.
                    eg
                    when tips more than 3 per min = Heavy Rain
                    when tips more than 1 per min = Rain
                    when tips less than 1 per 10min = Dry

anyone have any idea how to build this device?

Comment

This seems like a standard rain bucket you get with a weatherstation. I have a tipping-bucket type counter connected and compute rate from the counts. For those using 1-wire a bucket from hobby-boards.com will do it.

Comment

any idea what are the components I would require to get it started?
                        bucket and ?

Comment

I use (the same as Trojan) a rain detector together with a MS10. It works great, no errors. When MS10 detects a close contact it wil change the status in HS to "it's raining" and ofcourse when it's dry "it's not raining"
                          Here a picture of the rain detector with heated surface for a accurate reading.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I recognize the MS10 but what rain detector is that?

That rain detector looks VERY interesting!
                            Bryan
                            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Look at http://www.conrad-international.com/ and search for product id 187608-I5. You can aslo view the manual and data sheet here.
                              Or http://www.conrad-int.com/websale7/1...11fe4%2fmd5%7d

Wil

Comment

Working...
                              X